Am I the only one that will be disappointed if the Jets draft Mario Williams?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by yanksb4life, Mar 22, 2006.

1. yanksb4life

yanksb4life New Member

Sure, he may be a great player, but if we take him, it's as if we traded John Abrabam for him, and our 4th overall pick for the 29th. Even if he turns out to be a significantly better player than Abe, it would come across to many fans that Jets are drafting 29th intead of 4th, because Mario replaces a star rather than adds to what we already have. I know that's not the reality, but that's how it will seem to many fans.

#1 yanksb4life, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2005
  2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

They wouldn't play the same position and Mario is a better fit for our new defense.

3. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Williams is much bigger, would play OLB most likely.

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

two words - julius peppers.....

jil

5. at 6'7 290 lbs?? I doubt it. He'd be our version of Richard Seymour causing mismatches w/ his size and athleticism

6. e-x

e-x New Member

williams is going to be a beast

abe was talented but he's only an impact player when he decides to be

7. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I think FITM was thinking of Lawson?

Lawson is the guy who might be able to play OLB. Mario Williams could be a Richard Seymour type, and he has the speed that wouldn't make him obsolete were we to go to a 4-3 down the line. I won't be disappointed with him at all.

-X-

8. yanksb4life

yanksb4life New Member

These things could all turn out to be true, but regardless, I think drafting Mario wouldn't go over well with mainstream fans and media alike. They would view it as if the Jets traded their star DE for a prospect at the position, and now instead of drafting 4th overall, they're drafting 29th. This may not have much to do with the success of the team, but it could create a lot of negative buzz that will be very depressing to listen to over the course of a long offseason. I think there are better and more interesting ways to improve the team (whether that be drafting another player, trading down, or trading up).

9. xVILMA51x

xVILMA51x New Member

What about the fact that Abe would be making $8.3 million and mario will only be making around $2 - $3. Plus the fact that he's 5-6 years younger. His build, (290lbs) should make him less of an injury risk. Also, he's is a guy that will be hungry and would want to be here.

So drafting him is absolutely not like the Jets only picking 29. That's just stupid to say.

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Mario is arguably the best combination of athlete and football player in the entire draft. How could anyone complain about taking him 4th overall.

11. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Ahh yes. Aren't they teammates?

12. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I think that if John Abraham was in the 2006 draft that Mario Williams would be selected ahead of him. He's got THAT much potential.

BUT, i'd like to add that I'm not against trading #4 down to around 9-10 and taking Broderick Bunkley, who is true 3-4 DE. Mario offers more flexibility as far as schemes, but to get Bunkley and another pick (possibly to take an OL) would be really nice.

#12 JetsFan7817, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would bet money that Mario Williams is the No. 1 rated player on several draft boards. I would consider taking him over Bush, Lienart, Young, Cutler and D'Brick if need was not an issue. How could any one be dissapointed if we end of with Mario Williams?

14. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Freaking crap, how many defensive players through the years have we passed on with the same potential hype that williams has end up becoming a amazing player? Too many. If we pass this guy up, we will definitly regret it. This guy will cause so many matchup problems its too easy.

Oelhoffen can play both NT and DE.

We hired sutton who was in the team and is a 4-3 guy while herm was here, So that he can change to a 3-4 again I doubt that.

#14 28rogerblaze51, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006