You make the call- Pennington or Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Exit 117, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Who do you start at QB in Week 5?

1. Chad Pennington

33.6%
  2. Kellen Clemens

66.4%
  1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

This current situation reminds me of the Vinny one when we had no idea what we had in Pennington. My opinion, what we found out about #10 was a lot of good things. Unfortunately, he wasn't blessed with a strong arm and after 2 surgeries on it, it's now a liability that can't be overlooked any more. Hopefully, Kellen can come in and light the same spark that Chad did and Chad will be the same 'good soldier' that Vinny was after losing his job.

2. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

It is 2-1 Clemens right now. Wow.

I can honestly say I am shocked by the results here. I mean, I want Clemens to come in, but a lot of knowledgable people on this board have defended Penny for his intelligence.

But his immobility and inability to throw the ball down field more than 20 yards is hurting our offense tremendously. We need to stretch it and the only way to do that is Clemens.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Funny thing is when he has to actually make a play or bring the team back his intelligence seems to be lacking. Telegraphed int to set up the Bills last score and the inability to allegedly try and throw the pass meant for J-drop out of bounds when he got the least bit of pressure on him. We will find out how smart he is this week with the giants bearing down on him.

4. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

I think it's clear that neither the coaching staff nor Pennington himself has any confidence in his ability to deliver a pass more than 10 yards down the field. I love the guy, he's one of my favorite players ever to play for the Jets, and I think he's an example of what a football player should be. The one thing he always seemed to have was faith in his ability. I think he's lost that. If he's lost his confidence in his arm, he should sit. He needs to be able to trust that he can make any throw he needs to make, and I think even he knows now that he just can't.

This team is not going anywhere right now. Make the change and see what Clemens can do.

5. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Mike Greenburg said it this morning (Tuesday) - that although he loves Chad Pennington, anyone can see that he cannot throw long - and that his short passes are slow in arriving. That means the defense can sit back longer on the short throw - and not have to defend deep. How much more advantage can you give the defense.

Greenie also noted that the lack of a mid range much less deep passing game means that there's no room for our RB's. He said "even Jim Brown" couldn't gain yardage in this situation.

This is not a change for change sake, or going to the backup - this is - can the guy on the bench give us the vertical passing game? If not, do we need to find someone after this season who can?

6. Jets1958

Jets1958 New Member

Time for a change

7. Jets1958

Jets1958 New Member

BTW

I never voted on this poll on THIS website. I voted in a similar poll on another unmentioned Jet site. But my name is listed as have voted. Is this poll being shared on 2 sites???

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

When Greenie is jumping off Chad's bandwagon, you know it's time for a change.

9. smball

smball New Member

If you want to go 6-10 go with clemens. If you want a chance to go to the playoffs start CHAD!!!!!!!!!.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

This might have made sense 4 weeks ago.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

Have you been watching the games? What has Chad done to lead you to believe we will even be in the playoff Hunt this year?

12. skipper

skipper Member

If you want to be 6/10 this year and have a quarterback ready to really lead the Jets next year to a decent season having gotten his first year mistakes out of the way, go with KC. If you want to go 6/10 or 7/9 this year and be ready for 6/10 in 08, stay with Chad.

13. J-E-T-S

J-E-T-S New Member

Well put. Lets hope Chad can be a man and step off the field and let the next guy take over.

14. Willie WhiteShoes

Willie WhiteShoes New Member

I posted and voted that Clemens should get the opportunity to lead the team and see if he can be successful at this level. However, I think it's about a 1 in 50 chance that he'll get that opportunity until the season is well lost and/or Pennington is hurt. Both of those scenarios will probably come to pass this weekend if the Giants play like they did against Philly.

15. CYensePHIction

Chad's performance was bad in the last game, but still I think he can come back, you can't expect to throw in the towel everytime a QB messes up.

Now I get the "best chance to win" argument, but I think Chad gives us the best chance because of his ability as a QB. Clemens is not proven, and those who think Clemens should start and will be our savior are getting ahead of themselves.

If Chad messes up during the game, then its time for Clemens, otherwise lets try to have some faith...

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Again, Clemens should not start because he will be our savior, Clemens should start so that we can determine if he will be our savior.

Why is this point so hard for everyone to understand?

We're out of the playoffs in 07-08 people. Sorry to burst the bubble, but we don't have enough talent on this team to even win a wild card berth, much less a playoff game.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

Have you seen our remaining Schedule and Chad's play so far. Chad does no longer give us the best chance to win because we will now be required to score some points because our Defense is not good!

18. Willie WhiteShoes

Willie WhiteShoes New Member

This all may become moot Sunday afternoon if the Giants go after Pennington the way they went after a much more mobile QB in Donovan McNabb. Penny will be a spot on the field. It may be akin to a crime if that happens.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

As much as I hate Chad being in at Qb I hope he walks off the field for the last time as opposed to being Wheeled off this weekend. The G-men are licking their chops right now.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm going with Pennington. In my opinion he hasn't lost his job or this team.