From a so called ACMr: Glad Chad is starting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Chad shouldn't wear his helmet during games, it seems to be alienating some of the fan base.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Of course you're allowed to critique the play of an individual player, but don't make asinine comments unless you want to be criticized for it. Chad looked good in both Week 1 and Week 3. The only difference was the play of the team around him. That's why I suggested that when you asked whether Week 1 or Week 3 Chad would show up, you must have been talking about the team as a whole. To suggest that the team merely "plays a role" tells me that you may be putting a bit too much blame on Chad's shoulders.

As far as Buffalo goes, take it for what it is: a division road game. New England was shut out by a bad Miami team last season that turned around and was shut out at Buffalo the next week. You made it sound as though you'd be basing your predictions entirely on that one game, which is a mistake.

Oh, and just as you have a right to state your opinion, I have a right to critique it almost any way I see fit. Until I start lobbing strictly ad hominem attacks, I'd question your right to complain about insulting behavior. Perhaps if your opinions had been stronger, they'd have merited a stronger response.

3. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

2 posts and now 3 pathetic insults and counting.

The fact that you say "Chad looked good in week 1" really hurts the rest of your argument. Was he horrible? Up for debate. Did I think he looked good? Not by a long shot. You provide an opinion as fact without any supporting arguments. I could call that asinine, but I am above that, and willsimply say I disagree with you.

Chad sat in the pocket way too long when the OL actually gave him a chance (again, the OL was poor that week, I agree). His passes were consistantly off, and he was not hitting receivers in stride. Coles comments about being a Jet will decrease his career by 2-3 years suddenly made sense to me. Chad was hanging receivers out to dry and getting them killed. The fact we scored at all in that game was more on the toughness of Cotch and Coles.

Last week Chad looked great in my opinion. Good enough to make us a playoff team. He still floated some causing some hard hits on the receivers, but his fade to Coles in the endzone, considering the play was 100% predictable, was a thing of beauty. Throw in his rushing TD and I was having flashbacks from 5 years ago. The D let him down, or that game would have been a laugher.

The offense is clicking. The OL is playing better. The D still stinks. Using the Buffalo game as a season barometer is fair in my eyes. They are injured, starting rookies at QB and RB, and 0-3. IN MY OPINION, if the D can not come through in this game we're looking at a .500 season. I am entitled to my opinion. I guarentee that plenty of people will agree with me, not that it matters, because it is MY opnion.

Feel free to counter with YOUR opinion with some examples to base it in reality, rather than insults.

Make a case that, barring massive injuries to the Patriots, that the Jets can be 1-2 in the division after week 4 and still make the playoffs. Under that scenario the division is lost, period. That leaves 1 wildcard. Who, looking at wild card shots, are the Jets better than? The Jets are currently 1-2 in the AFC. NFC wins are almost meaningless for teams floating around 9-7, as they do nothing for tie breakers. Before last week we were 0-2 and 4th place in the division. Miami was in 2nd losing to an NFC team, and Buffalo was in 3rd having not lost to a division team.

The sky isn't falling yet, but to be honest, again, barring massive injuries, the Pats and Colts will be in the AFC conference championship. They are so far beyond the rest of the AFC it's silly. Have you watched some of their games?

Does that mean we shouldn't bother showing up next week? Of course not. Unlike people like Champ I love football, and I love watching the Jets play. I just happen to feel that realistic expectations make the season all the more enjoyable.

4. ........

........ Trolls

So now referring to your comments as foolish is insulting? I suppose I could say the same about your barb regarding pathetic insults, but I am above that.

Please point me to the post in which I argued that the Jets would make the playoffs, let alone suggested that the Jets could compete for the AFC Championship. Yes, I've watched the Colts and Pats play. I've watched at least parts of every Colts and Pats game when they conflicted with the Jets and the entirety of their Thursday/Sunday night games.

Your predictions stated that the result of this game would go a long way to deciding how the Jets finish their season. A loss would have us staring at 6-10, while a blowout win could get us hoping for a wildcard. I happen to feel we're a long way from predicting the playoffs regardless of how we play this weekend. We could blow out the Bills and still finish 6-10. We could lose to them in Orchard Park, like we've done so often with inferior Bills teams, and still turn the season around. I'd be concerned if we lost, but I certainly wouldn't say it guarantees a disastrous season. Again, Jacksonville was just one game for us last season (and they were banged up), just as Miami (also banged up) was just one game for New England.

If you'd really like me to make the case for a wildcard, fine. In 1998, we started the season off 2-3 and ended it 12-4. The loss that put us at 2-3 was to a Rams team that sat at 1-3 and finished 4-12, only slightly better off than this Bills team today. We were destroyed in every facet of the game. Are you suggesting that 12-4 would leave us subject to tiebreakers based on conference record? Last season, 9-7 was good enough to get into the postseason. This year, it will likely be 10-6. I don't believe we'll go 12-4, but I doubt anyone watching that Rams game thought it would precede a 10-1 streak. I know I didn't predict that.

Since there is no way to determine the validity of one perspective over another, it's useless to argue over who thought he saw a better game from Chad. I thought he acquitted himself well, you do not. The numbers, however, speak a different tale.

Against New England, Chad had better numbers than against Miami. He did so with an anemic rushing attack, poor protection from his offensive line, and a much better passing defense in the Patriots. You claim he consistently held the ball too long. Where is the evidence of that? If it's in sacks, he was sacked 4 times, 3 more than the Miami game. Among those, I can remember 2 in particular in which he was sacked from a dead rush up the center. No QB stands a chance of completing a pass in that situation. That leaves one extra sack. If you're arguing that he was pressured into making poor throws, he threw only 5 incomplete passes in the game and zero interceptions. Both of his touchdowns came at the end of scoring drives of 60+ yards. Again, he did so with little help from the running game (zero yards on one drive, 26 on the other)

Against Miami, Chad led 3 scoring drives. On the FG drive to open the 3rd quarter, he did not complete a pass. On the other 2, he was able to utilize the running game to open up the pass, although the 2 minute drive to end the 1st half again neglected the running game for obvious reasons. Miami had to respect the run, which New England did not.

Yes, Chad had some nicer looking passes in the Miami game. However, his performance against a superior team with less help in the season opener is equally, if not more, impressive.

5. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

I think he meant as in blowing them out...which still doesn't make any sense because there was Miami in 04, Seattle in 04 as you mentioned, Green Bay in 06, Minny, etc...Point being the guy who made the original statement is dead wrong

6. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

Okay here's some "supporting argument," he was 16/21 and had 2 TD's and 0 INT's with no running game and no pass protection against a defense that hasn't given up more than 14 points to a team all season...Now I'm sorry but I don't see how it's "up for debate" that he played horrible. Well actually I can see how it's up for debate...if you're a f*cking moron and know nothing about football.

7. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Guys logic, facts, do not work, people believe what they want. Just like people have turned on CP, they will do it to the next QB that comes along. It's the nature of sports, CP has worn out his welcome in NY, if the cheering when he was hurt did not prove that, I am not sure what will.

8. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

You're right but what has Chad done to wear out his welcome in NY? Take us to more playoff appearances than any other Jet QB has done? Put his career on the line for this team? Take pay cuts for the team? Have the 2nd highest QB rating in the history of the NFL? I mean this guy has done more for this organization than any player since Namath (which obviously doesn't speak that well for the history of the Jets) so how has he been thanked? He's been booed, had his injuries applauded, and constantly has fans calling or his job REGARDLESS OF HOW HE PLAYS! All this guy has done is win and all this team has done without him is lose...Some of you make me so ashamed to be a Jets fan. You're the reason why football fans look at us as being stupid, fickle, idiot fans...We've got a winner right in our laps, a guy who brings the best out of his teammates, a tremendous leader, an extremely cerebral player, etc...and most of you idiots want him gone. Now I'm not calling anyone out by name, but you know how you feel about it and you know who you are.

9. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Chad did nothing to wear out his welcome in NY. Don't let these boneheads fool you.

He is a great quarterback and he is exactly where he should be, starting QB for the Jets. Period. Baring injury, that is where he will stay until he proves to Mangini (the ony one who he needs to prove anything to) that he can not win anymore. And that simply has not been the case when he is not hurt. And no mater how many posts Johnnyds and FOURTHANDLONG start saying the same exact negative crap about Chad after Chad wins a game for us, the QB situation will not change. At least until Chad loses games. And thats GOTTO be tough on Chad haters. But I love it.

#29 fake_crs, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It is highly unlikely he will be on the team next year.

11. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I agree, but people know his limitations, and for some, those limitations are unacceptable. I remember a post not so long ago where someone was like winning and playoff appearances don't mean anything, I was going to respond, but how do you even begin to respond to something so idiotic, so I left it alone. But that is what some of the fan base is made up of. Hopefully the next team he goes to, he gets more support, he has a lot of good football left in him.

12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It is highly unlikely he will be on the team next year.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Stats do NOT tell the whole story. In week 1 Chad was not sharp. His receivers saved his stats by saving poor or floaing passes and getting killed in the process. In week 3 he was placing balls where only his receivers could catch the ball, giving them the opportunity to make really nice grabs, WITHOUT being a position to get killed after the reception. He actually was throwing more passes to receivers downfield than behind the LOS, which seriously helped the running game.

You can't even whisper a hint of negativity about Chad on this board and not get reemed.

I really like Chad. I want him to start at QB for as long as he is healthy and effective. If that means he stays for 2-3 more years as the starter, I would be thrilled.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

In a nutshell Chad has had two shoulder surgeries and is afraid to attack certain defenses. This team needs an upgrade at a lot of positions and QB is one of them.

I'm sorry your ashamed to be a Jets fan simply because other fans don't agree with you regarding some of the players. You should be embarrased or ashamed about your own behavior when necessary, because it's something you actually have control over.

#34 winstonbiggs, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  15. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Funny thing is I think he can have a decent intermediate ball but he is so afraid to even attempt a deep over the middle throw. I guess two shoulder surgeries messes with you head. I think we can all agree with the tools he currently has, he does damn well with them.

Getting back to the game... this is your classic trap game, while I would be pissed beyond belief, a Jets loss would not surprise me. Let's hope they jump on the Bills early; give them no confidence.