The main reason the Jets need Pennington back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by discostu570, Sep 17, 2007.

1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I imagine I must not be the only person on this board who nearly vomited when Clemens got hit with a delay of game penalty which turned 3rd and 1 into 3rd and 6. Whether or not you want to chalk it up to inexperience is irrelevant, its just unacceptable to be fielding a starting quarterback who allows that to happen. He did some good things this week, and down the road I expect hell be a good starting quarterback, but I think that play alone shows that hes not ready.

2. Canadian

Canadian New Member

It's a rookie mistake, but overall Clemens looked pretty good.

In no way has Kellen won the QB spot, but if he proves he can step up to the plate and deliver a few wins, I think a full-scale QB competition would be in order

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

KC is a work in progress that is for sure. The delay of game is was not a highlight of his evening. The thing I like is that he did not let his, or others, mistakes rattle him into making bad throws.

Chad is a mistake free QB who has great anticipation and touch.

KC will make mistakes, but can make the throws Chad can not.

The mystery lies in will Kellen be able to over come his mistakes and play near mistake free football while still having that extra Zip on the ball. I for one am willing to see more of him and find out.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

One delay of game penalty is nothing to drop a quarterback over. It's his first year leading the team on the field, and it's expected...

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

yeah i wouldn't go as far as to say Chad is a mistakes free QB...

Asante Samuel in the Playoffs says hello.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

16 ints 22 TOs by chad last year.is far from a mistake free qb.

7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I thought it was 16 Ints 17 TDs

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

He included the fumbles as well I think....

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He'll never get better if he's not on the field... Stuff like that, calling the audibles in real time, dealing with the crowd-noise, etc.... can only be learned through in-game experience.... Mangini can play all the Mozart he wants in practice, but it will never prepare Clemens for the environment he was in Sunday afternoon....

If you say he should sit until he fixes that issue, he'll be on the bench forever...

10. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

Im a huge pennington supporter and when i saw him warming up yesterday i thought mangini had a trick up his sleeve. I was at the game yesterday and i can tell you that chad could have easily made that delay of game penality because that crowd WAS LOUD! im a season ticket holder and i have never heard a stadium rock the way it did sunday.

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Even the greatest QBs in NFL history have taken a delay of game before. It happens even to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. About all you can do in those situations is take a time out and then go on a silent count to try and quiet the crowd. That's football's 12th man and why home field advantage is so great. One day...I want us to have that type of thing too.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Think he did it twice, once on 3rd & short, once on 3rd & 12.

Both times we got the first down though, so no complaints from me.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who knows what Pennington would have done against that defense. The shame of it all is that we won't see Clemens against a fairly easy team and won't see Pennington against another really tough team so there is no way to make any real comparisons. The injuries will sort it all out in the end as it usuallu does with QB competitions.

14. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

Chad is now, unless Mangini has icewater in his vein. I was impressed if that counts for anything. Kellen has proven if needed he can come in and give us a chance to win.

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

When KC took a delay of game late -- i think to make 3 and 11 , 3 and 16 -- it was the only time Mangini showed any type of reaction.

16. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Ha haha, points for making the first in-season reference to the classical music they played in tc.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

In my opinion, the delay-of-game is not the main reason why Mangini will start Pennington. He'll start him because it's the right thing to do for the following reasons:

Pennington is still the announced starter, still the far more experienced of the two, still the guy who has cerebrally mastered and has knowledge of the plays better than anyone, still the unofficial "leader" of the offense and probably still the guy who gives us the best overall chance of winning, Clemens' excellent performance not withstanding.

But mainly, he will start Pennington because Penny is the #1 QB and Clemens is the #2 QB. If you start Clemens over a healthy Chad, this is a decision that now becomes very hard to undo. In other words, starting Chad causes no damage in the bull-pen, but starting Clemens is a major statement. And if, God Forbid, you do that, and Clemens falls flat on his face, it's really awkward to then reverse it and tell Penny to come back in, not to mention how disruptive it would be to the rythm of the offense and the entire locker room mentality.

Threfore, replacing Chad will not be done until Mangini either: (a) Sees that Chad clearly offers less chance of winning or (b) Penny gets injured again.

Either way, look at it this way: We're extremely lucky to have a guy as good as Clemens for a backup!

18. WhiteShaft04

WhiteShaft04 Banned

Yeah how about those easy throws he f'd up...if Penny was in they prolly woulda won...

oh p.s. FUCK YOU JUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Clemens sure did show us that he has a lot of fight, a lot of heart but for me he also showed that he wasnt quite ready. Not jsut the delay of games penaltys as someone said he reacted by getting us the first down anyway. I was worried by his inability to read the rush, he took too long on some of his throws which led to him being sacked (I think it was the 2nd and 4th sacks, not entirely sure) but Pennington should deffinately start on Sunday, he is still the number 1 guy, he is still the leader and i think he needs the support of the fans.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I know i'm gonna get slammed for this, but did anyone hear that Pennington showed up for the Ravens game, 5 hours before he was required to, trying to convince Mangini to start him? On one hand, you say, he's into it and dedicated but does anyone get the same impression that I do, that Chad is a bit of a kiss ass. I mean, he was limping around the sideline. What did he expect, to play against the Ravens, limping around, throwing 2 yard outs, like he usually does, when they had a perfectly healthy backup rarin to go? I don't know, a part of me feels that I should be applauding the guy for wanting to play but another part feels the guys a bit of a brown nose. A little selfish campaigning to play when the backup was healthy.