"Chad is the starting QB"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barry the Baptist, Sep 16, 2007.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

That's just wrong. Clemens looked great today, let the kid play, chad is on borrowed time!

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed Jil. I saw the kid grow up today in a hurry. It may have taken him 3 quarters, but in the 4th, Clemens came into his own. I believe that was his "moment". I saw throws that CP couldn't make with a 20mph tailwind. I saw mobility in the pocket. I saw a young QB get his BAPTISM OF FIRE today by one the best, if not the most ferocious defenses in the league. I also saw a OC finally find some courage and show some confidence in his young Qb as well.

Shotts first half play calling sucked. In the 4th, he called plays that showed confidence in KC.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm with you.... I watched him take shot after shot on plays he had no chance due to the blitz by the Ravens. But due to a lack of quality play calls in the 1st half he had really had no shot. The int early wasn't his fault as if Coles doesn't get tripped it's at worst an incomplete pass. The 2nd INT wasn't his fault either because it should have been a TD pass.

He had happy feet early but once he settled down and the CS called plays that gave him a chance to be succesful he showed signs of being the starting QB of this team.

4. modrow

modrow New Member

Something for real jet fans to think about

we have been through it all good bad and really bad (1-15) But tipped passes and dropped passes are not the coaches fault nor are they the qb's fault. The bottom line is that this year we have NO PASS rush and our O LIne cant block the wind much less any talented d lines rush. The team will win some games that we are not supposed to and lose some that we are supposed to win, the ravens game seemed lost till the end and if MC had caught the ball and if we would have won the game we ALL would be talking a different tune right now. remember how we loved CP and now there are some who are booing him. Get real guys the JETS are our team and will win with the Mangini system.

5. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

There is no way Kyle Boller is up 17 on the Jets if Chad was behind center. The first three quarters were almost unwatchable because Clemens had no idea where to go with the ball. There is no reason not to read a blitz of the corner and hit the hot route.

I thought Clemens looked good throwing the ball in the 4th quarter, but he had a lot of time back there, the o-line played wll in the 4th. He has a long way to go as far as reading defenses and understanding what they are trying to do on defense, but he did show promise today.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Maybe this is more posturing from Mangini? Trying to get the Dolphins to prepare for Chad only to unleash Clemens on them? I'm not very good at this optimistic stuff, someone help me out here.

7. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

well said. This is what it is to be a Jets Fan. Chad led us to the playoffs, Clemens has a few more games before i can feel confident that he can do the same. Either or, you still have to keep the faith.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Considering some of Chad's past performances against tough defenses, this statement is completely unsupportable. Perhaps you might want to look at tapes of last year's Jacksonville and Chicago games before you decide that he would have done so well today?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL, that's aout the first thing I thought of with this, especially after remembering how Mangini sat on the starting QB info last year before the Titans game. I guess you never know, but I think I'm probably going to assume that it's Chad.

10. ........

........ Trolls

It's the right move, and not because of anything Clemens did. You don't send the message to your team that you can play your ass off in the first week, be the sole bright spot on the team, miss a single week to injury, and lose your job. Chad will start until he does something to earn his spot on the bench. Whether or not he does so, he's gone after this season, hopefully for a good pick or a great player. When that happens, it'll also be the right move. KC is the future, and he'll get PT this season. There's no need to hand him the reigns completely and ask him to play with Chad staring over his shoulder. Give Chad the start and hand the offense over to Kellen alone next season.

11. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think mangini is being kind of coy instead of straight forward with hhis comments. i dont care if youre a chad lover or hater, what we saw today and the 'comeback' wouldnt have been possible without having a QB who could strong arm some of the passes.

i think mangin making the statement is more of not letting kellen get any kind of comfort, and shows support for his veteran that started the season.

im a believer in you take the starting job because youre better, not b/c of an injury. mangini has to show some kind of loyalty, but it wouldnt shock me to see kellen under center against miami. i think kellen earned another start...i know this goes against my injury theory, but i loved seeing passes with zip on them FOR the jets.:smile:

12. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

exactly imagine the locker room morale if chad loses his job because of injury. He led us to the playoffs last year and this is only the second week. Mangini is going to wait for chad to give him a reason to start kc.

13. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Great post! You said it all! I am done with Chad, I dont want to see him anymore. We know where we can go with Pennington, and its not enough. Let's find out what this kid Clemens has, he looked very impressive in the fourth quarter against a great defense. I am really looking forward to watching this kid.

14. Carl Spacklers Grass

good pick or great player for Chad? Chad will have a such a bloated contract that we'll probably have to cut him. As much as I've stood by Chad all these years I have a strong inkling that he'll never be more than a backup the rest of his career.

As far as getting a draft pick from moving Chad, in a world where Randy Moss is only worth a 3rd round pick Chad's trade value is approxamately a 7th rounder or a case of beer

15. ........

........ Trolls

I think you overestimate some of the front offices in this league. Randy Moss's trade value was determined by a combination of a poor season last year and an offseason in which the NFL made a lot of people wary of taking a risk on anyone with character issues. If Pennington returns and continues to win, he'll have takers.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The reason it was unwatchable is because the CS called garbage plays for this kid and the Oline wasn't exactly gelling.

17. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Excellent effort 3rd...very proud of you.

I dont know if its posturing...you never know.

What I do know is that we saw a QB that allowed his receivers to do something with the ball after they made the catch. Thats all the Chad detractors have asked for. A QB that makes you pay when you blitz.....that makes you pay when you do not respect anything more then 5 yards down the field.

We werent asking for Joe Willie...we werent asking for Bart Starr...Johnny U.....we have no idea what kind of QB this kid will turn out to be.

What we do know is that we saw something very different today. We saw receivers actually putting up numbers after the catch...we saw out patterns and sideline passes that didnt take 5 minutes to arrive.

If this team isnt going to the superbowl this year..let me rephrase that..if you dont believe this team is going to the superbowl this year..then you must want KC to qb this team.

Why Mangini would wait and not give this kid as many reps as possible is crazy.

Those that have stated that "hes not ready for primetime" exactly how long would you like to wait. Who cares what he does....or doesnt do yet.

He has the ability...ABILITY...to command respect from any defense...which Chad has never been able to do.

18. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I hope Chad starts too

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

like the bears... penny to Chicago in 08!!:up:

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The 'Best Player' is the one that actually has a Division Title, and Playoff wins under his belt.

It's 'Best' player, not 'most promising'. And We can argue about whether or not the team would have been in a position to score, however, that one point that is far less in question, is that Pennington would have put the last ball Stone Hands dropped on target, not a couple feet over his head.