Jets - Falcons game opinions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Aug 10, 2007.

1. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I think in these months after the draft, we got so soaked up in the prospect of Dave Harris that we just kinda forgot about Barton. I thought he looked great tonight. He was everywhere making plays. I also liked Vilma tonight. He looked a little more comfortable than last year.

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Pouha did get pushed around some, but show me a NT with two blockers on him that doesn't sometimes. He sometimes got pushed out of his defensive lane, but he never got blown away, and often turned inside running plays outside where the DE's and LB's could make the tackle. He did take on a double team and made the tackle for no gain. His job, bottom line, in this scheme is to occupy two O lineman and that keeps blockers off the LB's.... THEY are supposed to make the tackles. If Pouha does that, and only that, he has done his job within the scheme. I will watch it again, but I don't rememebr a single time that a blocker that was double teaming Pouha was able to leave him and block an LB. THAT is what he is supposed to do... anything more is gravy.

I think people tend to make what that NT for the Pats does as what is expected from a NT. The Pats have the best NT in the league. The guy is a perenial pro bowler. Pouha will never be Seymour. It's an unfair expectation. I'll just finish with mentioning that Mangini told Ian Eagle (who is still an idiot) that he was one of the five players to watch. Pouha played well, but if you want Seymour, we'll have to trade for him... there is only one Seymour.

3. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

How was Leon's huge kickoff return?

4. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I thought Clemens looked pretty good. He underthrew a lot of balls, and I think his numbers were really helped by the horrendous play from the Falcons backups, but Clemens looked confident back there. He was under pressure a lot and he was able to get rid of the ball and make some plays. And for the most part he made good decisions.

5. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

really exciteda bout our linebacking group...

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

My opinions on the game.
    1. Defense looked decent, lots of room for improvement.
    2. Chad needs to throw the damn ball, can't understand why he never attempted a pass.
    3. TJ and Leon looked fantastic
    4. Clemens did very well with the 2nd and 3rd team, so did many of the backups.
    5. Nuge did great getting his kickoffs deep.

7. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I agree with most of what you said. However, Mangini didn't need to see Chad throw. He knows what Pennington is capable of. What they needed to work on in the game situation was Chad and TJ getting to know each other (as in the first drive) and then see what Leon Washington can do with the running game (as in the second drive).

Also, I'm glad to see Mangini exploring new ways to utilize Brad Smith. However, those flashy plays need a lot of work.

8. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

His run blocking was poor, I saw him tossed a couple time specifically.

9. MacMan

MacMan New Member

Here are my thoughts...

OK. Some of you will disagree, but I respect that.

I LOVED how they didn't have Chad throw a single pass. It's going to keep him healthy, and we all know, he will throw within the next two games. It was good to see Clemens get some action. He put up 3 TDs and I was very happy to know that if Penny goes down, which is possible, he could step in and give us hope.

Our rushing offense made me happy. Jones looked solid and looked like he could go another 20 carries with the same amount of intensity. Keep in mind that this is week one of preseason and with the move he just did, he is probably a bit rusty. He will top over 1,000 yards and Leon Washington will provide a realllllllly nice combination. Leon looked much faster to me tonight.

With the rush offense, comes in the offensive line. I liked what I saw but Kendall had me bothered. What is going through his mind right now? For some reason, whether you agree with me or not, it seemed like he just did not want to be there tonight.

Defensive line looked decent. Vilma really impressed me tonight. Barton had a couple of good plays. But again, Vilma...I like that man. He can find the ball on any play.

Secondary. I know Miller was out tonight, but damnit, Revis better get his contract signed. The Jets want him to get 6 years, but look at Ross from the Giants, he got 5 years. Give Revis 5 years. If he truly loves this team and the game of football, then he will stick with the Jets and sign a new contract in 4 or 5 years. This guy is supposedly top notch, and if he knows that, then he knows he can get the money. If he is ONLY in it for the money, then we will learn that and he should not be a Jet. But bottomline, we need help. If he doesn't sign, I might have to go to Hofstra and show them how a CB should play. (I will bring Madden 08 with me and show them what buttons to press so they get an idea of what he can really do!)

Leon had a nice return on that kickoff. He is fast...

All in all, very impressed. I think we made an improvement over last year. You can tell just by the way they handled themselves, even though it is preseason. Very professional and they executed and won the game.

Looking forward to next week.

10. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I was extremely happy with the way Vilma played. He was knifing throw that Oline to make plays and he seems to always be in the right spot. I think our defense is going to be the strong point of our team now. I used to be scared when our D would take the field, but now im comfortable watching them and am excited to see them make plays.

11. supersonic

Good post, I am in agreement except for the fact that NE's NT is Wilfork.

12. supersonic

1. Clemens looked good and is tough. I like the way he delivered the ball while getting hit, showed good poise that way.
    2. I was happy with what I saw in the secondary, thought drew coleman had a nice game. His development gives us good depth.
    3. Brick's run blocking was disappointing.
    4. I still wish we addressed the OL in the draft. It is the only part of the team that I don't feel good about, especially their run blocking.
    5. Pouha looked pretty good, looked strong at the point. If gives us quality depth at a very important spot.
    6. We need to dump the ball of the Leon more often, he is wicked in the open field.
    7. Wadsworth had limited time but you can see some flashes of once special athlete.
    8. I liked Barnes. He is a thumper.

13. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

Yeah as much as it's good to grade the Clemens' and Danny Ware's of the team..How about someone that really matters. Not saying that those guys don't matter but they're not making immediate impacts. Pennington didn't throw a single pass, which has been stated already in the thread but doesn't that concern anyone? Maybe it shouldn't considering no Jet qb threw a pass until after a fake punt pass was attempted.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It's actually Tuidropthesoapo

15. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

Although Clemens made some td passes, there were alot of passes he got lucky on. He will create alot of turnovers if he doesn't sometimes learn how to eat the ball up and take a sack.

16. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

pouha reminds me of the lineman from little giants that would fart to clear people out on the line of scimage

17. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

agreed, but those are mistakes that the coaches will have fixed by game four [hopefully].

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

The biggest thing I cam away with is we have a LOT of really good receivers.

Stuckey -Looked like he could be a top flight WR. And some size. Really, really impressed

McCairens -seems energized

Wallace Wright -stud special teams and looked very good at WR

Frisman Jackson looked good and has great size

Cothcery, Coles ..well they are Cotchery and Coles

Smith looked good at WR and he has so MANY roles

It will be very very hard to pare down this group, and with the talent I saw, I am not sure I would

Other thoughts:

I stand by my man Leon. He will establish himself as the #1 by year end

Clemens looked really good, and definitely got more and more poised as the game went on

Our OL is still an issue especially pass blocking

Drew Coleman seemed to step it up

Nuge clearly has more leg, and also picked up some technique to drive Kos lower

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Farve did the same thing at Clemens' age. And yes i'm reaching on that one.

In other news:
    O-line... Needs work, but i liked Clarke in the small dose they gave him on the 1st team. Think he'll be serviceable.
    D-line... Same as last, i hope the new additions make an impact.
    LBs... Looked good. Harris in his 3rd year might be going to the pro bowl. Vilma's comeback year is a strong possibility.
    CBs... Don't underestimate Drew Coleman. Forget the INT, it's his ball-hawking skills and good coverage i like. I can see him starting in 2 yrs.
    WRs.... Wow, I didn't know it was this good looking.
    RBs. hehehee i can't for the season to begin.
    TEs... Hated Sean Ryan in the 1st half last year, respected him in the 2nd half of last year. I think he's got what it takes for me to love his abilities this year. Still am a Baker fan though.
    QBs... If it wasn't for Stacy Tutt dropping passes, Clemens would have looked like a star in this game. Brad Smith isn't ready, bye bye to tui. Chad-- wait and watch :).

ST... We should all hug Mike Westhoff for making kicks and punts so exciting to a Jet fan. Honorable mentions go to Nuge and Graham for being awesome. Leon is a beast, but its the blocking schemes created by Westhoff that makes him run with holes that big.

Coaching- Awesome, they let no one know what is in the bag this year so far. The team looked generic yet solid, and they won by a thick margin. Mangini is truly two steps ahead of almost anyone on the other side of the field. Schotty needs to stay around for a while-- pay him whatever it takes to hang around.

#59 NDmick, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  20. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

On the WRCN post-game show, they made the statement that Chad had thrown 50-60 passes [their figures] for a solid hour or so in warmups before the game. They sounded like he was hitting it pretty hard and then they realized later he was getting reps in, knowing he wasn't going to throw any passes in the game.