ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

nothing. nada.

not only will we lose those picks, we will have to draft another corner in the 1st round :shit:

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

did you read what Don wrote about Bo Jackson?

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

One comp pick..because it was a first it probably would fall between the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Why it never happens is because the Jets could always trade his rights to a team in need of a corner. They "might" (emphasis on might) get somebody to give them a first rounder in next year's draft but even if they did it would probably end up lower then #14. They would never get what it cost them though.

The bigger problem is that very few if any teams have any money left under the cap after they sign their own rookies. So who is going to be able to afford him?

#403 Don, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  4. DaBallhawk

what kind of comp. pick did the bucs receive?

5. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

Mangini is never going to get flustered in Press Conferences...but there seemed to be an underlying aggitation with him in todays. I love watching them on the main Jets site and although his words wouldn't show it, it seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of there.

Perhaps he's just getting more fed up with Revis questions but who can blame the reporters for questioning. I hope this works out.

6. Don

All i could find was that you get one additional comp pick. They didn't give the rules.

I googled

"what happens if drafted nfl player sits the year out"

there are lots more links but I got tired of looking. :)

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

and he will lose a years salary, sign a 5 year contract (if he is drafted again in the first round) that will expire at the same time as the 6 year contract he refuses would expire, and will risk dropping his draft placement, thus further reducing the length f his contract and signing bonus amount. he has absolutely no leverage here except to sit out of training camp, because he can't recoup any of the money he doesn't earn by not playing. at the end of the day, he will sign because he has no other choice.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Just give in and give him his contract. Its him and Russell now, and anytime there is coverage on the remaining holdouts they mention Revis quickly and go into detail about Russell's holdout and update the negotiations. I understand there is a major difference in the two holdouts being the # selected or the stature of who the player is, but since they do not ever address Revis' holdout- i feel as if they are saying "this situation is retarded, what are you doing?."

"They" are the media, in case you need help.

#408 NDmick, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yes, because we should all hold up everything the media says (or doesn't say) with esteemed regard! :up:

The truth is more likely that there is no real story to report. No one is telling them anything to start with, thus no story. Unless they want to start blatantly making things up. I wouldn't put it past them mind you. :lol:

10. Force

Force New Member

I was just watching NFL Network right now and they had a brief discussion about Revis. Adam Sheffter (sp?) said that the Jets and Revis are nowhere right now. He said that they are talking a little bit but that they have made almost zero progress so far. Doesn't sound too good.

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Sounds pretty much like a staring contest for the moment... just waiting to see who will blink first. I doubt it will be the Jets, but we will see.

12. The_Bills_R_Due

The_Bills_R_Due New Member

Problem solved...

Trade his rights to the Bills, we could always use another CB!! Two words - Lee Evans...

13. Don

I think this is going to go long now. I didn't at first but they aren't even talking, it seems.

14. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2967237

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The New York Jets were lined up in their red-zone drill late Wednesday morning when quarterback Chad Pennington threw a pass into the end zone that was batted down by Jets defensive back Drew Coleman. The official, however, threw a flag and Coleman was called for pass interference.

"Come on, you call that interference?" Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis screamed at the official.

Such is life at Jets training camp, where Darrelle Revis, the team's first-round pick (No. 14 overall), has yet to report, giving players such as Coleman an added opportunity. When one looks at the Jets' cornerback situation, it is hard not to think that Revis' absence from camp will hurt the Jets this season. Many expected Revis, who played at the University of Pittsburgh, to start at cornerback, and some view him as a shutdown cornerback.

On Wednesday, Andre Dyson and David Barrett lined up as the Jets' starting cornerbacks. Dyson, the Jets' best cornerback, finished with 62 tackles and four interceptions in 2006. Barrett had three interceptions and 36 tackles in only 13 games. Barrett was plagued by a sports hernia last season for which he underwent surgery in the offseason.

One of the reasons the Jets traded up 11 spots to select Revis is because they were forced to start journeyman Hank Poteat at cornerback toward the end of last season because of injuries. Cornerback Justin Miller was also a big disappointment in 2006. Miller and Barrett, though, have impressed Jets coaches in the first two weeks of camp. The addition of Revis, however, would not only improve the Jets' defense, but give them an added boost on special teams, because Revis was one of the nation's best kick returners in college.

"All the rookies are trying to find a role," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "It is hard to find a role if you are not here. We are focused on the guys that are here. When Darrelle shows up, we will put him in the mix with the rest of guys, but he will have a long way to go. Training camp is a very important and difficult time for rookies as it lays the groundwork for the season."

For that groundwork to be laid down, the Jets and Neil Schwartz, Revis' agent, will need to agree on the length of Revis' contract. New York general manager Mike Tannenbaum wants Revis, 21, to sign a six-year contract while the Revis camp wants only a five-year deal. Tannenbaum declined to comment Wednesday on the status of contract negotiations.

The main sticking point is that players drafted early in the first round often receive six-year contracts. Players selected in the middle of the first round and below generally receive five-year contracts.

This season, the market for rookie contracts has shifted in the direction of five years. Only half the players drafted in the top 10 received six-year contracts (Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, Levi Brown and Amobi Okoye), and the lowest-drafted player to receive a six-year deal was Okoye at No. 10. All the players drafted in Revis' area received five-year contracts.

"That is probably part of the problem because at 14 he falls in that gray area," said Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Deion Branch, who held out from Patriots training camp last season partially because of a dispute over the length of his rookie contract.

The big difference between five and six years is that it indicates the ability of an organization to tie up a player and how long an agent has to renegotiate a player's contract if he outperforms his salary.

"[Schwartz] is an incredibly fair person, but he is not going to give in on what are the best interests of his player," said Jets offensive lineman Pete Kendall, who is also represented by Schwartz.

Revis' teammates in the defensive backfield insist, like their head coach, that they have enough to focus on and are not worried about Revis.

"I can't really speak on how far behind he will be when he returns, but when he gets here, I think he will be a tremendous asset," Coleman said.

Added Jets safety Kerry Rhodes: "We have not seem him out here yet. We know from minicamp that he is a good guy. A rookie needs to come out and not be vocal while trying to learn as much as he can from the veterans. The reason people think we need him to be a starter is because we got him in the first round. You can talk a good game, but you need to come out and perform. We have not seen Darrelle do too much of that yet."

First-Hand Experience

It is a question that fans often ask: What does an NFL player do when he holds out? Last year at this time Deion Branch was in the middle of a contentious holdout with the Patriots.

"It is something that is very difficult," said Branch, who was traded to the Seahawks last September. "There are times that I thought about returning to the Patriots because it is just difficult to stay away from the guys for a long period of time. The biggest thing is that you have to really believe in what you are doing because a lot of people are going to doubt your motives. My agent and the team were talking daily, but I only wanted to hear from him if there was significant progress."

Branch noted there is a big difference between working out on your own and being with the team.

"I would work out every day, but it is hard to work out because you know that your contract could get worked out at any minute so you don't want to work too hard or become too easy on yourself," Branch said. "It is completely different when you are in camp with the guys because that is where you can get your timing down with your QB and it is also a chance when you get used to being hit."

Asked about Revis, Branch said, "It is important for any rookie to be in training camp, but every situation is different and I would not advise any player on what to do. "

Branch signed a five-year contract with the Patriots as a rookie in 2002, but his preference was a four-year contract. Like the Revis situation, the Patriots wanted the extra year.

William Bendetson

15. Phokus

Phokus New Member

The Pats should trade Asante Samuel for Revis plus a low round draft pick ... malcontent for malcontent :D

16. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

This is incredible. sign his ass and get him in camp now. All else is just stupid and counterproductive bullshit.

17. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I would tend to agree. By trying to have a hard line stance with its our way or the highway, we are totally biting off our nose to spite our face. This is our 1st rd pick...we need to get him in camp. End of story.

18. rillo

rillo New Member

Added Jets safety Kerry Rhodes: "We have not seem him out here yet. We know from minicamp that he is a good guy. A rookie needs to come out and not be vocal while trying to learn as much as he can from the veterans. The reason people think we need him to be a starter is because we got him in the first round. You can talk a good game, but you need to come out and perform. We have not seen Darrelle do too much of that yet."

Best quote....I love it!

19. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I haven't posted my opinion on this....but I am with the Jets on this one. They want 6 years, wait for 6 years.

20. DaBallhawk

you'd be with the jets even if they asked revis to play naked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.