Opinion Poll Of Jets from Yester-years: Herman Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 29, 2007.

?

Overall, Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Herman Edwards

1. Favorable

22.1%
  2. Unfavorable

77.9%
  1. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Good to see you finally realized the difference between 360 and 180 degrees :rolleyes:

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Sometimes I feel like you don't have the ability to Observe and rate talent based on anything other than W/L record or stats.... Granted, it's somewhat objective But IT IS THERE.... There's a different between a 3-13 team that was decimated with injuries and a 3-13 team that was healthy and is void of all talent. To YOU this doesn't seem to exist.. To you "Well this team didn't make the playoffs in x years Therefore they don't have talent - FACT!!!!"... How simple minded is that? A 10 year old can tell us what teams made the playoffs and what teams didn't by looking at the #'s.

I get your whole "Bottom Line" approach but, there's a lot more than that in analyzing teams and talent. A ton of variables that go into stats and W/L record.... It's the part of the game where we actually watch and rate talent as well as read the opinions of "Experts".

For example the 1999 Jets. Record wise they didn't get the job done - But, we know there were reasons and we also know that based on 1998, based on the TALENT and based on the coaching, this was considered by MANY to be a team that could challenge for a Championship.... I'd say almost all the experts agreed that that was a TALENTED TEAM.

That FACT, is totally ignored when you tell others what kind of team Herm inherited. I don't care that they didn't go to the playoffs or what the W/L record was at this point - I KNOW that team when healthy was talented.. And I find it ridiculous for some to play a game and pretend that team wasn't as talented as it was when it fits their agenda.

And that's where things get messy.

It's called SPIN.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We did miss out in '99 b/c of injuries but we were healthy in 2000- how did that playoff year work out? the franchsie was in crisis when herm took over having missed the 2 previous playoffs, lost 6 of 9 to miss in '0, lost 3 coaches in the span of a year,... Herm didn't take over a stable franchise.

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I was replying to where You stated Herm took over a team that missed the playoffs TWO straight years as if that meant something in comparison to Wanny..... This is a little different story sprinkled with your Crisis Theory which is an opinion.......

In my eyes it was a Unanimous contender in 99 with coaching changes and TALENT....... One team barely missed the playoffs in 00 Throwing a lot and one team barely made the playoffs in 01' not being able to to throw their way out of a paper bag.

Bottom line is that the TALENT from a contender was still there.

Next.

5. nyjunc

The bottom line is we missed the playoffs 2 straight years prior to herm and Miami made it THREE straight years prior to DW arriving.

The talent from a contender was still ther but it had failed 2 straight years and was getting old. The '98 jets never would have lost 6 of 9 to miss the playoffs, the '98 Jets would have won the AFC in 2000 but those players that played so great in '98 didn't perform to that level again and/or got old.

6. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

You spun it to sound like the 99 team was a bunch of bums.... That wasn't the case - it was a talented team... That's all I'm looking for here, what you were spinning this time.

It's always well the talent was there.... BUT

Herm wasn't good enough.... BUT

In many cases you agree with people.... BUT, then you need to add you twisted version of things....

Again... I got what I was looking for. Thanks for playing.

7. nyjunc

I NEVER said the '99 team wasn't talented I said they missed the playoffs 2 straight years before Herm got there.

I have to add the twisted version? are you reading your own posts? All I posted was the jets missed the playoffs the 2 years before Herm then you came up w/ some excuses trying to help your weak argument. You guys crack me up.:breakdance:

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

94 to 29 negative :breakdance:

9. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

only asset was his ability to motivate....as far as game pans and clock management herm was shit....

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL I joined this site in Sept, 06' after the Herm period was over. Nice try though! I never liked him as a coach. I tolerated him but never thought he was/is a good coach!

Wow I thought from your illegible writing U might have Alzheimer's. Now I am 100% positive.

Thanks, I changed my sig in honor of U!

#110 Miamipuck, Jun 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This "excuse" of a thread now has 125 votes

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

U are funny.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMVHO......

Herm Edwards is a classic case of being in the buddy system and benefitting highly from who you know........

the position was gift wrapped for him without consideration of the teams roster, personnel and pending contract/cap issues.

looking back it was a warm up all along for an eventual trip back to KC or the eagles - whichever came first. better for him its KC, philly would tear him apart just like NY eventually did.

sorry about the negativity folks - the jets had a decent roster in 2000 and had the makings of a very good defense coming off drafting 2 studs specifically for a 3-4 unit and an offense that could score some points in a flash. the framework was there all they needed was a re-tool through the draft - even with the cap issues as they were - the key players would still have been there - martin, coles, cp, abe, ellis, mawae, etc etc.

those boys (edwards, bradwaym hackett and cottrell) wanted to put their stamp on a team that did not need a new one. its a shame cause the owner did not know any better. an educated football owner would have put his foot down and maintained at least partial stability with personnel and schemes etc etc.

if they had played their cards right, the "playoffs 3 of 5 years" gravestone would be looked at as a dissapointment compared to what likley would have occured.

jil

14. GreenMachine

champ makes sh** up.

15. Jetspride

Jetspride New Member

Just One Question

Herm is still a head coach in the NFL ,so you have to respect that...What happened to,"Mr. Coach of the year",Jim Fassel?

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Come to think of it maybe he is thinking of my cousin Ralph...... Miamiphuck

or My brother Al ........... PhuckMiami

When you have acute neuro breakdown it would be easy to confuse the two. :smile: :wink:

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Wow, you really are obsessed about everyone thinking every one of these threads is gold, aren't you? Since this thread has, in fact, started up all of the same old tired arguments again, just as I said it would, you going back to a post made days ago to somehow "prove" your point is truly comical.

18. Westy

Westy New Member

I am new to this area and will be going to the Jets games for the first time this year,

Can someone describe a typical pre game party in the parking lot?

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Lots of people grilling food, lots of Jets jerseys and lots of cheesy Guidos throwing footballs around. And a lot of no-neck security guys waving a vast open area down to a bottle-neck to one lane.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

*****The Kansas City Chiefs will be on HARD KNOCKS this season....

HOLY SMOKES!!!!! This should be good.