Seau.. Coming Back !!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by MayoGate, May 12, 2007.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

but...why?

2. Just like Seau's eventual retirement, if there's any justice in the world of sports, the Patriots reign will soon wither away like a Bellichick farewell press conference.

3. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

what the hell, it's news.

Report: Patriots to re-sign LB Seau
    May 13, 2007

SAN DIEGO (TICKER) -- Junior Seau's retirement plans appear to be on hold.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported on its web site Sunday that the New England Patriots are expected to re-sign the 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker.

According to the report, the Patriots will re-sign Seau late next week, pending a physical.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Seau, 38, signed a one-year contract with the Patriots last August - four days after he announced his retirement as a member of the San Diego Chargers in an emotional speech in which he said he was "graduating."

Lured to New England by coach Bill Belichick in hopes of winning a Super Bowl, Seau played well for the Patriots before missing the final five games with a broken right forearm. He ranked fifth on the team with 69 tackles.

Now Seau apparently will again try to win a ring with the Patriots, who are the early favorites to win Super Bowl XLII following a busy offseason that has included the acquisition of five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Randy Moss and the signing of linebacker Adalius Thomas.

Last season, Seau paired with Tedy Bruschi in the middle of the team's 3-4 defense. He recorded a season-high 15 tackles in a loss against the New York Jets on November 12.

Seau played the first 13 years of his career with the Chargers and is the franchise's best defensive player. He spent three seasons with the Miami Dolphins, who released him last March to save $2.1 million under the salary cap.

In 2005, Seau played in just seven games before suffering an Achilles tendon injury. He started eight games for Miami before suffering a torn pectoral muscle during the 2004 campaign.

Seau was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame All-Decade Team for the 1990s and was named to the Pro Bowl 12 straight years from 1992-2003.

After an All-American career at Southern California, Seau was selected by San Diego fifth overall in the 1990 draft.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

maybe you missed the TWO other threads...

5. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

But the point of the matter is this. People have already declared he is already done. That he can't play. That rap was on him before he resigned with us last year. So all his skills are gone. We're obviously not waiting on that.

What I am saying, is that with all the talk that he was/is done, he was the surprise player for us last season. He was surprisingly effective.

It's all gravy.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

From a football standpoint, it makes sense for the Pats because the guy showed that he's at least got something in the tank last season. However, I really don't like the bastard because he's only come off as an arrogant dick to me, so sorry DW but I hope Thomas Jones doesn't forget to step on his head as he runs through him. :up:

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I hear you. There is certainly a difference between the way you are looking at the situation and how a RaiderJeaux would proclaim another SB title with Seau filling the roster. :lol: With Seau's end coming nearer you are always going to have people criticizing having him on the roster and predicting the immiment demise. If he isn't holding back the whole dam himself, and is contributing to depth then it minimizes the risk overall. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. So long as on the business end it it is economical then roll the dice with him.

8. jaychamp

jaychamp New Member

I felt the same way about Cox, Harrison, and Seau before they became Pats. I'm guessing the similar would have happened to you if similar players came to the Jets, maybe or maybe not.

Out of those 3 I loathed Seau the most. Thought he was loud overrated junk. But sometimes you see different qualities in a player when they're on your team. For a guy coming in off the streets last year he was a great leader, and would have lead the team in tackles if he didn't get hurt. He's been a stud against the run, good in coverage, and he played within the system instead taking gamble after gamble like he used to. So he gained alot of respect from me.

He may or may not be very effective on the field this year, but he still brings those leadership qualities which is reason enough to sign him, and he does give us that little extra depth.

The little things count too, and the Pats are better with him than without.

9. JetGreen_pho'life

JetGreen_pho'life New Member

As a jets fan. I agree. But as an "Oceanside Ryda" I'll say hell naw!. I wanted us to go after him when he walked away from the fins. I had the honor of watchin him tear fools off back in the day. I also served time with his brother tony. Lol he's got strenght, additude, and the support of his bro's and uso's. Although the games slow'd down,so has he. I remember when W.C#80 burnt his ass for a TD a few back. I thought to myself. Dude might be done, but he aint He wants that "ring". Who could blame him?

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Oh, I'm not gonna disagree. Remember, Cox was a Jet before he was a Pat. He had the same rep and I loved him as a Jet. I don't expect Pats fans to hate Seau, since he's not doing anygthing to hurt the franchise. I just genuinely don't like the guy has he seems to disrespect anyone who's not with him, and would easily turn his back on former teammates if he were to change teams. Like I said above, there's no doubt the guy wants to win and can play the game of football. I'm just saying from a hypothetical POV if the Pats don't make it and he decides to move on to another team, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw the Pats under the bus despite them being the reason that he's still got a job and was able to revive his career in NE.