Grade the Jets' first day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MobiusOne28, Apr 28, 2007.

?

What grade do you give?

1. A

59 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. B

145 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. C

38 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. D

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

its between a "B" and a "C" because the players themselves are good picks, but the cost was too much IMO. With so much depth this year and there not being much a drop off at certain positions, i think we shouldve stayed where we were and ended up with 4 good picks on day 1. We couldve gotten a CB, OG, D-linemen or pass rusher and a skill position but ended up with just a corner and mlb.

2. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

I agree. They picked up two 1st round talents to bolster the defense. Revis and Harris were worth the moves that the FO made. Lets see how day 2 pans out before we give this draft a final grade.

3. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Best CB in THIS draft.

Again, I Just think if you're going to give up the #2 and bother to move up that far, it should've been for a player who's more of a consensus can't miss. A guy that's the best at his position the last couple of years.

I look forward to eating my words.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Logical impossibility here. For every pick that was traded today another team acquired said pick. Ergo you cannot trade OUT of the draft collectively.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I give it an A. We did not need quality. We had 2 spots on this team that were likely to be open for a rookie because of injury/cap casualty (CB& ILB: Barrett and Barton). We got the top CB in the draft, and the 2nd ranked ILB and a perfect complement to Vilma. There's not enough roster room for a boatload of picks. In addition, we technically got a 3rd starter (Thomas Jones) out of this draft too.

6. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree. I like the players, no doubt. I think they will contribute and have a chance of being exceptional players. BUT!!! This team has a lot of wholes and little to no depth at positions like TE, WR, S, DL, OL. This was a year too early to start trading away picks for specific players. AND, they did not address the right side of the OL. Jones was a great pick-up but what holes is he going to run through exactly? Moore and Clement are not long term answers. HIGHLY disappointed they didn't address the OL today.

Like I said, love the players the FO got. And I am glad the CS got the players they think they need to win. But they gave away too much, way too early, IMO.

#26 dabrowsk1, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  7. Boom Dawg

Boom Dawg New Member

I agree that i would have liked to have 3 picks today, regardless, our grade should be a B. Like others have said we have a possible shutdown corner and an inside linebacker that is a great fit for our scheme.

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Dude, it's time for you to take a break. If we do not have a pick in the round, we can't get an F for the round.

9. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I gave a B just for the simple fact that we have upgraded our D instantly with these 2 kids.

I'm still a little concerned with our O-Line Depth, DT and the need for a 3rd WR or TE, but I have FAITH in our FO and CS that they will get it done on day 2 or through trades and FA.

That being said...this draft is shaping up VERY well.:up:

10. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I have to agree with JetFanInPA....Tannenbaum has PROVEN accept for SCHLEGEL that he can roll with the BIG DOGS in this league in just 2 seasons he has:

Given us Leon Washington, Brad Smith, DREW Coleman, D'Brick, Mangold who have all had an impact as rookies...A** raped the Chicago Bears, by getting Thomas Jones for a 2ND ROUND PICK and getting one in return, took care of our cap situation ADMIRABLY, got us Dyson and now Revis AND Harris....This FO WILL do something either today in day 2 of the draft via picks and / or a trade or fill holes via FA.

Watch and see.

#30 ATL-JET, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Thomas Jones was essentially our 3rd pick. Three starters on Day One? How the hell are people complaining? I honestly think a lot of you guys are just addicted to the draft and are upset that watching today won't be as interesting. If it helps, just pretend to be Patriots fans today and knock yourself out evaluating future benchwarmers.

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I hope you're right. Because even though the defense was upgraded, I am really really really really really really concerned about the right side of the O-line, the run blocking and O-line depth. IMO, it is THE biggest question mark on this team still. I have liked EVERYTHING this FO/CS have done since they got here so I will trust them on this, but I am extremely skeptical. If the Oline isn't addressed...I just have this bad feeling in my gut.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I give them a B, love the picks but we gave up alot to get them so that keeps it from being an A.

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

You guys really are too tough. I'd take quality over quantity any day. I'd much rather have 2 picks that are productive than 5 that sit most of the time. Everyone knows the draft is a gamble no matter what, so you might as well get the best players you can.

A

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't disagree w/ you, I love the players but we did give up alot of picks to get them.

16. nhcane

nhcane New Member

What school did Hobson come from? I know everybody has to be looked at separately but I just can't get past my prejudice against big ten type linebackers. I hope Harris is a monster.

17. ellenangel

ellenangel New Member

First time poster. Been lurking for awhile.
    Have given Jets draft an A so far. The Jets entered the draft with the 25th pick. The draft was considered poor (with only 15 true picks with first round talent). The Jets came away with 3 starters(if you include Thomas Jones-a better runner than any they could have drafted with their original second round selection!). Revis was arguably the best corner in the draft; Harris was a Jets first round selection in at least one mock draft I saw this week.
    The draft is always a gamble and there is no such thing as a "sure thing" (just look at Robert Gallery or Charles Rogers-both considered "sure things" in their day!).
    Quality always over quantity!

18. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

You have to include Thomas Jones in the grade

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He has the knees of a 45 year old at this point.

20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I say B+. The only thing holding me back for a higher grade is the absence of quanitity in addition to (and not instead) of the quality we received from our picks.

The 49ers have done real well so far and Atlanta, Cleveland and the Steelers have picked up some good players too.