Assuming the Jets acquire Matt Shaub

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Jabba the Jet, Mar 15, 2006.

1. getterdun

getterdun New Member

The Jets have a gaping hole at LT. If they don't sign Brad Hopkins, what are they going to do? They would be out of their minds if they didn't pick D'Brick under those conditions. Anybody else have some suggestions about this left tackle situation, because Chad Pennington's third shoulder surgury is riding on it.

2. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

EXACTLY

To label Duke Davis a workout warrior is way off base ... this kid was a phenominal player in college who just happens to be a freakish athlete in a workout enviornment as well

As 1028 said ... he was a TOP 10 Pick BEFORE he ran in the 4.3's at the combines and pretty much had jaws dropping all week, no matter what he did ... but now he's a TOP 5 Value Pick IMO ... most awesome TE prospect to come down the pike since KW1

I'll say it right now, and I rarely make this type of blanket declaration because I know there is no such thing as a sure thing in the draft, but I'll be shocked if the team that drafts Duke Davis ever regrets that pick, no matter where they draft him ... I'll be surprised if he's not an All-Pro TE barring injuries

IMO there are two players in this draft that I would label PHENOMS ... Reggie Bush and Duke Davis

Okay, I'll Just say what I mean ... I think the team that drafts Davis is Getting a GREAT PLAYER, and I don't toss the word "Great" around lightly

PS. Checkout some highlights of this "workout warrior" :eek:hmy: {see below}

http://mfile.akamai.com/16410/wmv/m...rchive10/100605-vernon-davis-all-american.asx

#22 Jabba the Jet, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Don't forget a certain 295 lb, 4.67 running, 35 rep benching, 14.5 sack, 24 tackle for loss having Defensive End from Richlands, North Carolina.

4. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I AGREE ... he's a physical freak like Davis, which Reggie Bush is not

Reggie Bush and Duke Davis are athletic freaks and it transfers to the field, thus the "phenom" tag

You can make a case that Duke Davis is the best of the three because he combines all three components you look for in a super-blue chipper with a Great upside ... physical freak, athletic freak, and it all shows on Gameday

Bush has two of the three ... athletic freak and awesome on Gameday

Mario has two ... physical freak and it shows on Gameday

The Duke has all three ... physical freak, athletic freak, and it all shows on Gameday

I kid you not, GH ... if you rank the TOP 5 Overall, regardless of position, you can make a strong case for Duke Davis at #1

I don't mean the #1 Overall Pick, lest anyone misunderstands me ... POSITIONS DO MATTER in the draft ... I mean the #1 Overall "talent" in the draft

#24 Jabba the Jet, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  5. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

With the way Mario Williams moves, I'd just as easily call him an athletic freak. It's a different type of athleticism than Vernon of course, not so much straight line; it's the way he turns his body, stops and starts in an instant effortlessly, gets around or by the tackle before you can blink. Plus, he does it all at 295 pounds, (295), I can't imagine anyone else doing that, save the great Reggie White.

6. 1028

1028 Active Member

I agree with that, Ive been calling Vernon Davis "the Reggie Bush of tight ends" for some time now :up:

7. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I'm with you on this ... I've been ranking Mario #2 Overall, right behind Bush, for quite some time

Davis tossed his hat in the ring at the combines

Now the TOP 3 Overall "talents" are Bush, Davis and Mario ... but because Mario plays DE and comes in the Reggie White/Bruce Smith package, you have to rank it Bush, Mario and Davis {in that order}

If you eliminate the QB's, and QB is the ultimate premium position, that's how the board should fall in terms of talent and also taking positions into account ... Bush, Mario and Davis

The QB's are NOT as talented as these three kids ... you'd have to be a John Elway type of prospect {coming out of Stanford} to enter that realm ... but the QB's may go higher by sheer nature of being blue chip QB's