Who is the Jet's MVP?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Apr 9, 2007.

?

Who is the Jet's most valuable player?

1. Laveranues Coles

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Jerrico Cotchery

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Shaun Ellis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Nick Mangold

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. Chad Pennington

28 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Kerry Rhodes

35 vote(s)
    39.8%
  8. DeWayne Robertson

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Bryan Thomas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jonathan Vilma

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you were starting an NFL franchise and could take just one player from the Jets who would it be?

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

For me it's a toss up between Mangold and Rhodes. I probably lean toward Rhodes a little because I think he is a player that has to be game planed for.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Rhodes
    Mangold
    Penny
    Vilma
    Cotch

In that order

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Pennington. Only because I heard teammates say it on TV. "As Chad goes the team goes."

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Kerry Rhodes, get's my vote, he has just scratched the surface of his potential.....he's going to be a consistent Pro-Bowl player.

6. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

This is weird with the way u asked it. The most valuable player to the jets no question is pennington. When he plays the jets do well. However, with the way u asked it (if u had a team and could pick one player from the jets) it would be rhodes because he makes such an impact.

7. Br4d

Just to clarify, I really meant most valuable player, as in if you were thinking just in terms of value who would you start a franchise with?

8. As much as I love Rhodes and Mangold, neither play truly impact positions(although one could make an arguement for both spots)...

I'd go in this order(and i'm sure i'll take some heat for my take)...

1. Vilma- Say what you will about how he fits in the 3-4, but we're talking about a fast, speedy linebacker capable of 120+ takcles a year, and top notch leadership/intangibles.I've also mentioned before w/ very little acknowledgement that he maybe the best coverage linebackerin the entire league, which allows a DC alot more freedom..

2. Cotchery- May not be an impact player YET, but he is well on his way to being one. He's also still young and has a great attitude/work ethic

3. Ferguson- Another player who has not reached his potential(is a long ways away) but anytime you can add a guy w/ his type of athleticism, long arms, pass protection skills and intangibles for blindside duty, you don't hesitate.

4. Robertson- Has really gotten a bad rap mainly for where he was drafted, but D rob is one of the more disruptive(not to be mistaken w/ playmaking) interior linemen in the NFL. He clearly gives O-linemen fits, and is fantastic at collapsing the pocket. He's also still very young. The only question w/ him is his knee condition..

5. Rhodes- May be the most athletically gifted safety in the NFL. His combo of size, speed and agility is extremely rare. You add in his improving awareness and wow. he'd most likely be # 1 on this list if not for playing a position that doesn't offer as much of an impact as some other listed spots.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It would have to be Mangold. If there was a great QB listed it would be him.
    Those positions you would expect to last for 10 years or more. The others rarely do.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Very good list, as I had Vilma as number one as well, assuming he's playing in the 4-3.

11. Thorture

Thorture New Member

As some before me mentioned...especially if you got a 4-3 team Vilma would be the first one picked.
    As for being most valuable...I'd have to say Pennington.
    The mix of both for me is Rhodes. Although Mangold is a close second for me.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Oh, then that's different. I had said Mangold as who I would take first. For MVP I would probably pick Rhodes too. Hell, he's the only player we had that should have made the pro bowl even if he didn't. Of course if we didn't run so many safety blitzes last year would we even be discussing him in this?

#12 Don, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Kind of difficult to name one player to start with 22 positions to fill.

If I had a gun to my head, it would come down to Rhodes and Mangold. I am of the opinion that Mangold will be a future All-Pro as will Rhodes. I think you win Football games in the trenches and as such I would take Mangold but not without a lot of self doubt.

14. Br4d

I picked Mangold because he's young and good and plays a position that is absolutely essential to a dynasty's success. I think on pure talent I would go with Rhodes as so many others did, it's just a lot easier to find a great safety than a great center.

15. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I'm going with my man Chad Pennington.

16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Cotchery or Rhodes

17. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

It should be Jets'

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It has to be Chad Pennington.

Without Rhodes the Jets have a decent defense still.

Without Coles or Cotchery they lose a recieving threat but are still okay.

Without Mangold they lose a solid Center which will hurt the line, but managable.

Without Pennington they lose their leader. The Captain of the offense. The Signal caller. The heartbeat of the team.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. In terms of trade value Rhodes, Vilma, Cotch, Mangold.

In terms of winning games Pennington.

20. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i would agree that pennington is the mvp of the team(i voted b4 reading the thread too), but after reading the actual question...where pennington wouldnt have the same value
    ...i probably wouldnt take a single player from our team to "build on"
    better value elsewhere