The Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FITM, May 26, 2006.

1. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

First Bad News Allen, then Ernie Ladd. Now Arnold Skaaland.

According to WWE.com, The "Golden Boy" Arnold Skaaland passed away late Tuesday evening at the age of 82. He died with his wife at his side.

Skaaland is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame and has been a member of the WWE family for over 50-years. He was a known manager, wrestler and promoter and one of the stockholders of the early Capitol Wrestling Corporation.

1967 saw he and Spiros Arion win the WWE United States Tag Team Championship. Another career highlight was when he served as the referee for the famous 1962 match in Japan between "Classy" Freddie Blassie and Rikidozan. What most fans remember Skaaland for is the "throwing in of the towel" in the Bob Backlund vs. Iron Sheik WWF Title match in 1983.

Our condolences go out to the family, friends and fans of Mr. Skaaland.

2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Orlando getting Wrestlemania in 2008!

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The City of Orlando announced today that it has acquired the rights to present one of the world's largest annual pop culture events. WWE?'s WrestleMania 24 will take place on Sunday, March 30, 2008, at the Citrus Bowl in downtown Orlando. A crowd of more than 60,000 fans from around the world is expected to attend.

The announcement was made by Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and World Wrestling Entertainment? Chairman Vince McMahon at a news conference at Orlando City Hall. Joining them was John Saboor, President of the Central Florida Sports Commission, who has negotiated the arrangement on behalf of Mayor Dyer. In addition, a number of WWE Superstars, including WWE Champion John Cena? and World Heavyweight Champion Batista(TM), participated in the news conference, which was attended by hundreds of local business and community leaders.

"The advantage of aligning our community with one of the world's most famous and exciting brands is immeasurable," said Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer. "Tens of thousands of visitors from around the world will visit our city next March for WrestleMania 24. Additionally, for the next twelve months, Orlando will be recognized as the home of the Super Bowl of sports entertainment to millions of WWE fans around the world, creating invaluable exposure. We are tremendously honored to welcome this great event to the City of Orlando for the first time."

"We are always attempting to align our community with gold standard events," noted John Saboor, president of the Central Florida Sports Commission. "Today we accomplished that goal by working with our partner at the City of Orlando to welcome WrestleMania 24. The Sports Commission has a great interest in pursuing additional sports entertainment events, and we eagerly look forward to working with Vince McMahon and the WWE to make next March the best WrestleMania yet."

"It's about time Florida hosted a WrestleMania," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman. "We could not be more excited about bringing WrestleMania, the world's No. 1 sports entertainment event, to Orlando, the No.1 tourist destination in the world."

WrestleMania has grown into a global sensation. In less than 2 weeks, on Sunday, April 1st, WrestleMania 23 at Detroit's Ford Field will host fans from 23 countries, all 50 states and 9 Canadian provinces. Millions more in 90 countries will watch it on pay-per-view.

According to figures generated by the Central Florida Sports Commission, WrestleMania 24 is expected to pump an estimated $25 million into the local economy, while creating jobs and generating the type of excitement that a world class event brings to a world class city.

WrestleMania is more than a one-night event. This year in Detroit during the week of WrestleMania 23, WWE will present the 2007 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, the annual Bacon, Bagels and Biceps Brunch, the National WrestleMania Reading Challenge, as well as opportunities to meet WWE Superstars and Divas at various public appearances around town, including visits to local schools and libraries. Fans in Orlando can expect the same up-close and personal experience when WrestleMania 24 comes to their city.

Trademark Note: All World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans, wrestling moves, and logos are the exclusive property of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. ECW is a trademark of WWE Libraries, Inc. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners."

3. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Finlay is $ in the bank

4. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Randy Orton will win $ in the bank

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

6. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Why do they have the version with Windham instead of Ole?

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why the WWE didn't just add another line under what used to be the F in the WWF logo making it look like WWE. It looks like WW, pretty retarded.

8. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

WOW there are so many. I'll just name some I can think of right off the top of my head.

1. Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff. The battles they had for the NWA US title in the summer of 86 were brutal. They gave birth to the best of seven concept done the right way.

2. Bret Hart. Bret Hart. Bret Hart. Man do I miss the Hitman. He was a consumate pro. In my opinion the greatest of all time. A ring general who used a combination of pure skill and great ring pyschology to get over with the fans.

3. Ricky Steamboat. The dragon was the man. His series with Flair in 1989 right before Jim Crockett sold out to Ted Turner was my personal fav of all time. How could someone with so little skills on the mic get over like he could. Answer.......he could wrestle his ass off.

4. The Original Four Horsemen. Arn, Tully Blanchard, Ole Anderson, and WHOOO! The Man. These guys had so much heal heat that they had armed guards 24 seven. Either you loved them or hated them. I really miss the days of real heat. The Horseman made Jim Crockett and the NWA millions of dollars and carried the NWA in the mid 80's to the 1990. FORGET THE NWO, the Horsemen were the greatest heal stable of all time.

5. Competition in wrestling. I can still remember when wrestling was territorial and boundries were seldom crossed. You could watch....the WWF in the north, NWA in the south, AWA from Minneapolis, WCCW from the Dallas Sportatorium, UWF from Mid-south, and World Class from Memphis, and Florida Championship Wrestling. They all had superstars and all were at one time entertaining. When Vince purchased WCW in 2001 it signaled the end of real competition in wrestling.

9. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Just a little useless information..

JJ Dillon is presently living in Dover, Delaware and working as a corrections officer with my brother at Delaware State Prison. He's really cool and actually got my brother and some other officers front row tix through the WWE to the last event they held in Philly.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't go back as far as you. But here are my favorite memories:

Austin vs Bret Hart feud. It was such a great rivalry with Bret the babyface vs Austin the anti-hero. They had one of the greatest matches of all-time at Wrestlemania 13

Austin, Hart, Michaels, Mankind, Taker in their primes. In a way I'm glad Austin, Hart and Foley were forced to retire and go out with some dignity because Michaels and Undertaker are so washed up and look like fools out there today. HBK please quit!!

Monday night wars. THe competition on Monday Nights brought out the best in both companies. nWo angle when it first started was huge, and forced WWF to turn things up a notch.

When I would actually get excited to watch some of the midcard wrestlers. I used to love watching guys like Shamrock, Vader, Ahmed Johnson, Bulldog, Owen Hart, the Nation of Domination, and others. Nowadays the whole roster is just awful.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Michaels looks a lot older, but in the ring, he's still probably the best worker that company has.

12. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

The Attitude Era in general was great. Austin, Rock, Foley, Taker, HHH, Nation of Domination, DX all the other great tag teams like the Hardy Boys Edge and Christian and the Dudely boys. It was great.

13. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

check youtube if your interested in some good old school. i highly recommend Jim Crockett's NWA stuff from about 84-89. Beleive it or not, Lex Luger used to be a decent worker.

I agree 100% about the austin/hart feud. many fans today fail to realize that their match at wrestlemania was the match that made stone cold a superstar and the greatest draw of the 90's.

14. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

did you notice the spray on tanning stuff he had all over his face on raw last week? joker had a orange face.

15. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

The following is from WWE.com:

WWE has come to terms on the release of Vito. We wish Vito all the best in all future endeavors.

===========

Remember the new WWE Diva policy that we reported on last week? It appears as if the plans to institute the new doctrine have already been scrapped.

While the company wanted to present the divas in a classier manner to gain more mainstream sponsorship, Kevin Dunn barked at Vince McMahon that the plan would never work and would destroy the upcoming Diva Search competition. Since the Diva Search is considered McMahon’s baby amongst his love for the divas, it appears as if we are not going to see the taming of the divas.

Thank god. Slutty chicks with no talent, FTW!

16. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Classic Wrestling from MSG on the MSG network tonight.

8-9: Roddy Piper vs Ric Flair (1991)

9-10: Hogan vs King Kong Bundy (1986)

17. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

18. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

SHERRI MARTEL PASSES AWAY
    By: Bob Ryder
    6/15/2007 3:20:26 PM

Sherri Martel passed away earlier today at age 49. Martel was a former AWA and WWF Women's Champion and was later known for her role as manager of top stars like Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, and Ric Flair. She was inducted last year into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Her most recent appearance nationally was on an episode of TNA iMPACT! when she appeared to offer her services as manager to Robert Roode.

RIP :sad:

19. rillo

rillo New Member

I had 2 google the name because i couldnt picture her.....now i remember her, may she RIP. 49yo its a shame...

20. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Now tell me, why would the wwe put on such a big show with vince mcmahon "dying"? I actually belived them when saw smackdown last night, but now that I look up news for it, there is none. There has to be a better way to go out with a bang than this, hell, when they did that thing in memory of him, the crowd actually booed.