Vinny Testaverde back to the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dinobot 2, Mar 4, 2007.

1. JetPod80

JetPod80 New Member

I dont have a problem with signing Vinny he was a good quaterback for the Jets and seems like he just belongs in a Jets uniform...def not a freakin Pats jersey

2. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Most of his major accomplishments were rushing. He didn't have a good throwing arm at all. Penningtonesque.

3. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

My first reaction was "Why???????"

Now, I'm thinking that if Vinny's main purpose is to act as coach and mentor to the other two QB's (yes, Chad also) then maybe it''s not that bad of a move. He knows the organization, they know him. He knows Chad and Chad respects him. He must be up on the most recent New England scouting reports as of last season. This would be a good way to groom Vinny as a future coach, maybe with the Jets.

So, I'm with it. Now, if Brad Smith would give #16 back to him, I can take my Vinny T. green jersey out of mothballs once again!

4. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Y is that?

5. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

My exact feeling. Vinny wants to retire a Jet. He brought us closer to the promised land than anybody in my lifetime. If he's willing to be 3rd string, so be it.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Uh, I was only half serious with that post, I don't even know if that guy knows anything about football, but if he did...

But seriously, Vinny T had 1st round talent but a 7th round brain, the last thing I want is him teaching our young Qb how to play. I'm perfectly content letting Schott Jr & Daboli mentor Clemens. As far as our 3rd Qb goes, why not bring in a guy that has some sort of potential should disaster strike, a guy like Tim Rattay would be perfect as far as I'm concerned..

7. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Digression, digression. You don't need to follow the Jets to know about Brad Smith's chances as an NFL QB, seeing as how he doesn't play QB anymore. He wasn't and isn't an NFL-caliber QB, and luckily he had enough sense to change positions when he entered the league. Hey, if you want him to be the emergency QB, that's great. I just happen to be of the belief that a team would benefit more from a veteran who knows the ropes better and can help out Clemens than a run-first QB in a league where his type has an awful track record.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why are people getting excited about signing a QB who is going to start receiving social security checks in a few years????? Why don't we just bring in Joe Willie to mentor Clemens and to help Pennington with his mechanics and arm strength? I'd be in favor of that before Vinny III.

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

What is it going to take for Vinny to retire? Short of a Super Bowl, his AARP card arriving in the mail? A newfangled equipment update he doesn't understand? Peace in the Middle East?

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He still WANTS to play QB. 10 years ago you would have said Ray Lucas will never play a game at QB in the NFL and he led us to 6 wins in 9 games in 1999 and got a nice FA deal from Miami. Brad Smith has exceptional talent and I believe he could be a QB in this league, I would like to see more of him at QB to know for sure.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Maybe Mangini wants to pump him for Pats info. If Pennington is reluctant to bring Clemens along, then maybe Vinney is a decent choice. He can also survey whats going on during a game and suggest adjustments and tell CP what he see's. Thats worth something, especially since the guy will be filling a roster spot that should never play a down that means anything.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Surely this was just some guy at KFFL listing random unattached vet QBs? I mean, Kerry Collins, ffs.

13. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Why bring Vinny back and take up a roster spot? Just hire him as a QB coach assistant if you'd like. Employ him if you feel he can bring something to the team, just not in uniform

14. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

really, who cares

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, That would be perfect. Use the roster spot for depth at some other position. Use Smith as the 3rd string QB. Then if we lose 2 of them Testaverde knows the plays well enough to step in until they find somebody else.

16. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

1)Joe Willie is too busy in rehab
    2)Vinny has meant a lot to the Jets franchise and the Jets mean a lot to Vinny. If Tangini feel that we need a veteran QB on the roster, why not vinny?

17. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I would like him to mentor Clemens as a 3rd QB. He was a good mentor for Chad when Chad took the helm at QB and 2002.

18. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

What's he going to teach Clemens? How to be some INT throwing coach potato that's willing to betray, yes, I say, betray his hometown team for a shot at a SB ring.

Vinny is ass. Enough said.

19. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Get Vinny in here.
    We need him.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I love Vinny and always will, although I'm a little angry with his signing in NE. I'd take him back to be 3rd string if he's willing to do it. Vinny just can't seem to stay away from the game though.