Our 2nd Year Players

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dBLitzer28, Mar 10, 2007.

1. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Aside from dBrick, Mangold and Leon:

Who do you expect the most to have a break out year this upcomming season?

2. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

My pick would be Eric Smith ... after his performance last year, i believe E. Coleman should be worried

3. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Well Brad Smith is one. He definitely has the potential to have a break out year but it depends how much he is used by the CS.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Brad Smith on Special teams, and Eric Smith on defense. I'm just not sure how Brad will go as a receiver, but hes been good on st

5. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

hit the nail on the head! coleman hasnt really improved enough after his rookie season. he may end up being a solid backup, but he will probably lose his starting role sometime soon.

i know kerry rhodes isnt a 2nd year guy, but im looking for him to have a big season. i just hope that the jets can lock him up, because if he hits FA im thinking he might end up in ATL with bobby petrino....

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Brad Smith used more at WR, hopefully he progresses nicely along with all the others.

7. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Coleman has done the opposite IMO. He just has gone downhill since his Rookie year. I think worst case for Rhodes would be a franchise tag.

2nd. year players that will improve:

I think pretty much the whole 06' draft. They are all talented and IMO will be one of the best draft classes the Jets have had in a long time maybe ever.

The Smith's will improve, Brick with 20 extra pounds, Mangold if he improves is all-pro, L. Washington will be electric if the line gets fixed. I am not big on Schlegal and KC will not get playing time so I think they are the 2 exceptions.

I am excited to see if Eric Smith can take Coleman's job. The guy can hit and supposedly is smart. Hopefully he is athletic enough to start in the NFL. That would be a huge improvement over last year. Brad Smith probably needs another year or two but the guy is electric, similar in that respect to LW. I hope he can get more touches.

8. KleckoNamathToon

I'm not prepared to bury Schlegal yet. I know there are signs of bust written all over him but some guys can take longer to develop too. He came from a big time program and has the size to fit our defense. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping maybe he'll show some signs of developing this year.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

ya, if he can play he really solves a lot of problems for us. I'm not banking on it, though. Everyone was able to improve enough to get on the field except him. Except for that one botched onsides recovery. I'm with the majority here: Brad Smith. I'd definitely like to see him at WR more. 35 catches 500 yards 4 TDs, something like that.

10. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Considering where he was picked and the state of the depth chart, Clemens needs to be the guy that takes the biggest strides in year 2. We need to see that he is both

a) Capable of moving the club if Chad gets sidelined this year
    b) Good enough to be our QB of the future

Please God!

11. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i agree...hopefully he'll work hard and emerge as a #3 or #4 receiver...and hopefully the staff finds new ways to use his speed and versatility

12. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

that's a good point and frnakly, when he was in last year what I saw was a guy who was scared to throw the ball, had happy feet, and looked lost. I'll concede that there was not enough body of work to make a complete evaluation, but what we did see was not too encouraging.

13. NewEra06

NewEra06 New Member

I think it has to be Brad Smith. This kid is a play maker. You have to remember that he has only been a WR for one year. Add to that the fact that he is an asset on our trick plays. Now that Mangini and Shotty have seen what he can do, I think they will create more plays for him to show his stuff.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hope they get Brad Smith more involved. He had 16 first downs in 27 touches last year. He was used as a decoy on a lot of other plays. The more they get him involved the harder it will be for opposing defenses to prepare.

15. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Brad smith is gonna have a break out year. and drew coleman is gonna be surprisingly better.

16. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I want to see Eric Smith get better and become the starter opposite of Kerry Rhodes. Hes a great hitter and is disciplined in coverage. He's also a very good tackler.

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Three years is normal for a receiver's development and smith wasn't even a WR, so i don't know if this is his year, more likely during the '08 super bowl run is when he is gonna blow up...I do, however, think that if we end up getting rid of barton, schlegel is gonna be our inside tackling dummy (ILB), I think we got him as a big stuffer, rather than a roamer, just a slow huge animal to take on guards so vilma doesn't have to.

18. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

b. smith....i see him having a break out year....would also like to see eric smith get some time too.

19. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Coleman, Smith, and Schelgal. Learning a 3-4 Defense is very very hard.

20. Woah09

Woah09 New Member

Eric Smith, he was stellar towards the end of the season.