titans to cut henry

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by thegoldengod, Mar 2, 2007.

1. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

TITANS TO TANK HENRY

The Nashville Tennessean reports that the Titans will cut running back Travis Henry on Saturday, in order to avoid a roster bonus of $8.3 million that comes due on Monday.

The move will leave the team without Henry or Chris Brown under contract. Lendale White, a rookie in 2006, is the other tailback on the team.

Thus, the Titans likely will be in the market for help at the position.

2. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

a shame they couldnt restructure
    he'd be a nice signing
    he could end up in denver

3. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I always respected henry from his game a few years ago against the jets getting like 170 on a broken leg

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the resurgent henry on our squad...kind of like stealing mcgahee's baby brother.

5. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

If this guy can do what he did in Buffalo, for us, I'd be thrilled, but I can't see that happening

6. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

He would be a great short term pickup. Over 1200 yards last year in just 13 games started (4.5 ypc)--I think he's now the best back available. He is 28 though.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This could be a real nice addition. Certainly something to think about.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

They must really like LenDale White. They got rid of Chris Brown AND (will)Travis Henry.

So is RB now a top priority now for them?

9. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i would really like to bring in henry. He had a great year last year, and has had excellent years. I think he still has a lot left in him and could be a real sleeper in the free agency market this year. Plus, i dont think he'll cost that much money.

10. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Titans release RB Henry to avoid bonus By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
    1 minute ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Titans released Travis Henry on Saturday after negotiations failed to rework a contract that contained an $8.3 million bonus due Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070303...itans_henry;_ylt=ApmRkLi7OEJi8ZmVAIw63zvIyLQF

The running back was flying to Denver to talk with the Broncos, said a person familiar with the negotiations, who requested anonymity because no deal had been struck.

Neither Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, nor Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt or coach Jeff Fisher could be reached immediately Saturday afternoon.

But the Titans and Henry's agent had been negotiating over the past few days, trying to rework the bonus into a longer deal. Reinfeldt said Friday it might be good if Henry checked out the market to see what he would bring.

"I still would be optimistic that he would return," Reinfeldt told The Tennessean. "Sometimes you need to look at the market and see what all is out there. I'm not sure that's a terrible thing."

Henry revived not only his career, but the Titans' rushing offense in 2006 by running for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns. That was the best performance by a Titans running back since 2000 when Eddie George had the best year of his career.

The Titans had said they wanted to keep Henry, a six-year veteran who beat out Chris Brown for the starting job by the fifth game of the season. He finished fifth in the AFC last season in rushing, and he became the 100th player in NFL history to reach 5,000 yards rushing in his career on Dec. 3.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think Henry would put up huge numbers in Denver. :eek:hmy: