Jets willing to part with 1st rounder for Michael Turner. Discuss Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FITM, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I agree booooooo! Leon and Houston going through some growing pains, but will work. No need for turner. Get another O Lineman to clear the way.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

2nd rounder. we wont give up the first. just wont happen.

3. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

He will be useless unless we can bring back Mike Haight to run block for him. Haight was the best Jet draft pick ever!

Don't believe the Haighters!

4. BrowningNeagle

BrowningNeagle New Member

You guys are nuts to think Cedric Houston and Leon can get the job done.

5. KJet84

KJet84 Member

I would trade down in the first round to SD's pick and give them a second..thats all id do for turner.

6. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i agree...at least i hope so...

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This FO won't just throw away first round choices. If they give up our first it will be because they feel Turner is better than any RB option in the draft. I trust this FO to make the right decisions..

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Well, sticking with Leon and Houston would be disastrous. We most certainly need an upgrade, but it shouldn't be either of them. Houston is a nice backup and Washington is not going to kill the clock or wear down the defense. We need a guy who can get the tough yards late in the game and, most importantly, take the pressure off Pennington. We won't go anywhere next season if we continue with an offense that puts all the pressure ont he QB to win the game.

We need an upgrade from Clements, an upgrade from Moore, an improvement from Ferguson, and an every down back. Turner has only shown he's capable of being a change of pace guy.

Our best bet would be to draft. If there's a guy we really want, move up. We have tons of needs we can't discard on the chance that a guy might prove to be a first round caliber back.

-X-

9. brightfuture

brightfuture New Member

I love Michael Turner and would love him our team but we CAN'T give a 1st rounder for him. This past year we won 10 games with marginal runningbacks and a not very good run blocking line. We need to build our draft through the draft especially with our first round picks. The pats grabbed all their huge dlineman through the draft and I think we'll do the same. If we can give up one of our seconds for Turner I'd do it but we can't give them our first! Leon is half the puzzle we can also pick up another RB later in the draft that complements him and Cedric. We also need a bullish lineman who can pave some wholes for 29.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if Turner is unproven what is a rookie your drafting?

now no way we should even think about giving them a 1st, i could part with either 2nd though. also considering the depth in this draft at RB is ASS.

you have peterson(top 10) and lynch(top 20)

then you have bush (risk), booker (more of a 3rd down back than leon)
    and hunt (solid prospect but doesnt wow anybody)

you can find good rbs in the mid rounds of the draft, but i dont think in this yrs draft.

i say go defense round 1, only other players you take there on Offense would be Justin Blalock or Sidney Rice if he falls.

other than that trade a 2nd rd pick for portis or turner. then let them leon and houston battle it out. houston probably the odd man out in that equation.

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

It's not like it's the 12th pick overall guys.

I wouldn't be totally against it since the Jets have an early 2nd round pick. So our 1st round pick would be Turner, and he might be better than anyone on the board at that specific time.

12. brightfuture

brightfuture New Member

Turner can absolutely be a full time runningback I think. I don't know why people are doubting that. So can LaMont he just has a HORRIBLE LINE. The same thing happened to Edge this year and he's an elite rb. If we don't improve our run blocking it won't matter but we're definitly on the right track with brick and mangold.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I'm against it but if we did go that route, I say we wait till draft day to see whos on the board and then trade for turner if no prospects interest us.

14. NEJets

NEJets Member

It will not happen.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

God I hope it's a smoke screen. There's a reason the guy was a fifth round draft pick, after dominating in college. He simply doesn't have the tools to be an NFL runningback, and he pussyfoots his way into the hole most of the time. That was his problem in college, in that he doesn't run with his head down in between the tackles, and dances around before a hole opens. That's not a feature back, that's a backup.

16. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I'm sure he would be gone by then, no? Free agency starts in late Feb., right?

17. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I think he is gonna be a great back and proably worth the pick if you were looking value wise of a better RB then you would get in the draft. But I def want to go Defense in the first round or improve the OL if the right guy is there. My question is how long do we have until we can make this deal like can we give up the 1st rounder for him right before our pick or is their a deadline for restricted FA before the draft?

18. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I would never do this trade. I will be more then happy to do it with the 2 rounder.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Any RB would look good behind that SD offensive line. Just about any, so as not to exagerate. If Alexander wasn't worth a second rounder last year, why is Turner, so far a backup, worth more? We need to get the lines up to snuff on both sides of the ball. Then, worry about a running back. The right side of our O line simply isn't even average at run blocking.

If the Jets were to trade the 25 for Turner, and Carriker is still there, I'd rip my hair out. (what I have left of it anyways).

I think this regime has a lot of confidence in their abilty to build through the draft and yeah, even find an RB in the third round or even later. If we can;t run block, even Turner will put up lousy numbers. I'd go as high as our 2nd second round pick, and maybe a 4th next year. We simply have bigger needs than RB at this point.

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It depends how high the Jets are on Turner. The 25th overall pick is not as valuable in this draft as it is in most drafts. This class is about 20 players deep in legit, no-brainer 1st rounders. 21-40 is really on the bubble as to 1st/2nd round. Last year's class was one of the strongest ever, as it was between 35-40 players deep in 1st round talent. This year is much different.

If they like Turner enough, I say do it. Quality of player at 25th overall in this draft is 35-40th in most drafts.