Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

All of you should go back and listen to the NEW HC's presser. In the begining, he said he didn't expect changes on the O side (I was like OH shit here we go again)... but later as he got his legs under him he repeated several times that EVERYTHING will be evaluated. He stated that the team has underperformed for the last two weeks and that is not acceptable based on the talent on the team. How refreshing...

He also said that he has been on the job only 4 hours and is feeling his way. His final comments were that he has been in the NFL as a player and coach for 20 years and that he will be himself. Good because I believe he holds players accountable.

The "coup de grace" statement for me was, " I spoke with AR and we discussed how the team needed a CHANGE relative to the team performance.

I don't know if he is capable to be a HC and my hope is that he is....but I find his forthright manner quite refreshing after 3 yrs of empty slogans.

Borat and mattyd99 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like Saleh as a person and wish him the best of luck. But he has not demonstrated the ability to lead a team as a HC with proper oversight on both sides of the ball. He was far from it. Trouble is, putting The DC in charge, takes him out of calling the defensive plays
    Going to AR for advice, what kind of advice, how to fix this issue? How is firing RS with no further C changes fixing the problem.
    In AR mind or anyone else, Firing the HC and retaining the most incompetent OC staff, starting with Carter, who has done shit no matter what OL he was given. How does that fix the discipline problem in the O?where RS was hands off. What do you think AR said and how is that going to turn the ship around. Who will fix the running game, the blocking, the play book? AR? Give me a break.
    Woody was pissed and took immediate action, but there is no plan behind it. AR is not running this team and he is not in charge…….no one is.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If you listened he stated that he didn’t foresee anyone being fired or losing their title (though he didn’t guarantee that), but he did expect roles and responsibilities to change. He’s been there barely 4 hours.

4. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Look, I would understand the Jets being 2-3 if we had lost our top two QB's like Miami. I would understand being 1-3 if you're the Patriots and your team sucks and you've suffered a barrage of injuries. I would understand that. It's not like I'm unreasonable, but when you have a top 5 defense, a top RB, a top WR, and a HOF QB, you cannot convince me you should be 2-3. Sauce Gardner has very clearly regressed as a football player. He's too handsy and he cannot catch the ball to save his life. The OL has been HORRIBLE including all of the new linemen JD added. The playcalling has been pure GARBAGE. ALL of that ultimately falls on the HC to manage and get through. So I have no problem with this. I like Robert Saleh and I'm sure he'll land on his feet, but the fact is 20-36 simply isn't good enough....

REVISion likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really think Douglas selected Saleh all on his own. It was a very strange connection from the start because the two had zero connection from the start together.

Seems strange that he wouldn’t try to be the route of plucking someone from a franchise he’s worked for before? Or at least someone he’s sat in the same meeting room with before at least.

Not to be mean to Saleh because I think he’s a good guy and a decent defensive coach, but he doesn’t strike me as someone who blows a GM or former scout away in an interview.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sorry….listen to whom?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's a start, but not nearly enough. That said, doing what really needs to be done - firing Hackett and Carter - would likely end the season. Their offensive scheme has been installed in accordance with Rodgers' wishes. The choice is you either stick with it, or hope Rodgers would be able to adapt to some new scheme (assuming he didn't have a hissy fit and just quit). So we have to hope this provides a spark that carries them forward. I'm not holding my breath.

And even if Ulbrich somehow shocks us and gets them to the playoffs, is he really the right guy to be the permanent HC? It will be very hard to judge given the turmoil and emotions that might cause the team to overperform and mask his inefficiencies and lead to Woody giving him a 3 year contract.

I really hope they fire Hackett and Carter, but as I said I think they'll be kept on because they have to do everything they can to ensure Rodgers has a system he's comfortable with. Rodgers will be the de facto OC in any case.

Of course the root cause of this team's failures have been owners who never understood that offense is more important than defense and who kept hiring defensive guys as HC (yes, Parcells started as a DC, but by the time he became the Jets HC he was a successful - SB winning - HC). So unless Woody has an "Ah hah!" moment and realizes that he needs to get people in who understand how to build a 21st century offense - unlikely - he needs to go away. On that score, I never would believe he'd walk away from his virtual ATM, but given his age, if they don't win it all this year he might decide to just let go, especially if he can sell the team to some U.K. owners. One can dream.

I wish I could say this makes me optimistic, but I just don't really see anything much changing.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Idk, Saleh and Douglas seemed quite philosophically aligned to me. Both of them love the idea of building from the lines outward, to a fault actually. The answer for Saleh on defense is always more DL. The answer for Douglas on offense is always more OL.

Saleh is also quite personable by all accounts, the type a GM would be drawn to after the aloof Gase.

It was a terrible hire and I hated it from the start but I can see why Douglas and Saleh gelled.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@Brook! can you fix Saleh’s last name please? It’s bothering me lol. He was a shitty head coach IMO but let’s give him a dignified send off. He seems like a decent guy.

SOXXX2 and Brook! like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ulbrich’s press conference. Sorry I didn’t mean for that with any kind of tone or sarcasm, though I see it could be taken that way.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No not at all, I just watched it. Thanks. I like what I heard, but not sure we shouldn’t make a couple of C changes in the O, starting with Carter.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Completely agree. You have to keep the same system because you can’t install a new offense midseason. I don’t necessarily hate the play designs, I hate the play call timing and the OL execution. These lineman are better than this, I have to believe this. Keith Carter is failing this team, he’s the OL coach/run game coordinator.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

I agree that promoting the DC to HC presents a risk to defensive play calling.

I think what I've offered is my take of the most rational explanation of what's just taken place. There's been an undercurrent of references to accountability being the issue behind under performance based on squad talent. That is a euphemism for getting rid of people who make mistakes. Against Denver, it was a multitude of penalty indiscipline and lack of execution. Against Minnesota, which I attended, it was look of under preparation leading to a slow start and getting behind on the score, despite a decent comeback that ultimately failed. Saleh was perceived as a nice guy but not disciplined enough. Ulbrich (as is Vrabel, not that he's here yet, or Belichick - who never will be) are seen as preferable because they will deliver on accountability. In other words they are harder personalities.

Hackett will not go whilst Rodgers still wants him. Carter looks expendable, and an obvious guy to go. He is seen as under performing, and the guy that hired him has just been fired, leaving him unprotected. When there is regime change in any organisation, people that buy into it get the chance to prove themselves and those that do not are marginalised, and in the case of pro sports, leave the team. The next week will show who survives the 'hard look' into it. Rodgers has the owner's ear. That must be clear by now.

All it is, is 'a take' though. A personal view and no more.

#273 UK_Chilts, Oct 8, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    westiedog1 and Jets79 like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Is this really true? The Bills changed OCs last season and were fine. We also have a veteran QB, which should hypothetically make any changes to the staff less harmful.

Regarding the play designs, they are awful. We never scheme anyone open. Remember the rub route the Vikings ran against us to get Jefferson wide open? Have you ever seen us do that under Hackett? We use motion less than most teams. We use play action less than most teams. We don't do most of the things that good offenses do.

Our playcalling is also beyond predictable. There's no creativity in our offense from any perspective - playcalling, play design, anything.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but they fired Saleh. Hackett knows now he’s gotta get creative or he could be next.

At least we got that going for us

REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree, not a bad take, yet I struggle with the notion that AR is still a big supporter of Hackett. AR is smart enough to know Hackett can’t manage the O daily tasks and fix the discipline problem. Further it has now surfaced that Saleh was about to fire Hackett when he got fired himself .To me that smells too coincidental and no longer know what to believe.

17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

what in the actual fuck does that mean? errybuddy says it...

what ur talking about is PUNISHMENT

you must punish players for making mistakes.

half y'all would have to have ur kids in the fucking stocks

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

They promoted within. An offensive system is a complete language. It’s one thing when a new FA walks into a team midseason and has to learn quickly, the rest of the team speaks fluently. Installing a new offense in a week is akin to asking them to learn Russian in a week and then go into the Kremlin undercover.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

go reads my post quoting Barnwells ESPN article form yesterday... no motion , no play action old ass O cos THAT WHAT PRINCE ARON IS COMFY WITH

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

For sure it was

However, I absolutely HATE those stupid HC interviews mid game…like what the FUCK does anyone expect the coach to say? Like are we really hoping to get that nugget of strategy mid game? “Well, I think we’re going to run more motion and attack the cover 2 down the seam and on D I think we’re going to blitz more to get to the QB”…really?

You get what we get…stupid platitudes like “we have to cut down on the penalties” or “we have to just block better or tackle better” bullshit that is meaningless. It’s like the pre draft GM interviews…NO ONE is going to give you anything of value.

I wish they would just stop the stupid charade of meaningless bullshit.