It's Garrett Wilson time...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stinkyB, Aug 27, 2023.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. In his first two years he had arguably the worst QB ever or close to it to throw at the pro level. I watched nearly every single throw. Behind them, wrong shoulder, short, long, ability to get YAC was minimal. Yet he got 1000 yards. I would argue that 50% of the targets where shaky at best and he was double covered 90% of the time because no one else could catch shit. The notion that with that many targets you should get over the 1000 mark irrespective of QB based on past statistics is crazy. I doubt any team with that many targets in the past endured 2 years of absolute QB hell. At this point I dont care for comparisons or even total yardage, if the game plan opens up the door for Williams, Conklin or whomever and they score, more the merrier. I want wins, wins ad more wins, not fantasy football stats.

IDFjet likes this.
  2. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

I saw a clip of that Wilson TD shot from behind the back corner of the endzone and that throw from Rodgers as he was fading back from pressure was mind blowing how good it was. The catch by Wilson and him still getting inside the pylon was great in itself.
    I remember after the game Rodgers said he got that pass out late, his read was late, and that he can do better.
    LOL

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

pretty much, yes. better at 50 50 balls.

Again, not attempting to change anyone's mind. Just typing my POV.

4. Losmeister

ordinary catch, super body control to get in the EZ.

5. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

Right just a common athlete. Clutching the ball away from that defender, in that position, at that speed, having got himself into that position as the play had started to break down, that particular 50/50 play doesn't count. Even Rodgers said it was a great play.
    But if you insist okay

Losmeister likes this.
  6. Losmeister

the catch he made vs bills last year was a great catch.
    this? ran a decent route had a 1/2 step. shrug.
    the ball was placed perfectly, no extraordinary contortions needed. just reach out and grab it.
    he didntg clutch it away from the cb. the cb undercut the route and he missed. the ball was past the cb.

the getting into the EZ gets an A, for sure.

still 11th most targeted in the NFL and 132nd in catch rate. that's this year w/ AR.
    (this is from PFF preview of game on YouTube)
    AR is hyp;ing his players. I like that.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I see where that's coming from--right now there's a training situation between G and AR--its not that G dropped balls--rather he wasn't in the place where Rogers threw it. That happened several times last Monday and probably a few times beforehand.

A few of those creates havoc in the rankings since the %'s are typically tight with very little variance between ranking levels. You apparently have the stats. How many places does even 1 catch that he didn't have move him up from 132? How about 3 catches he didn't have. He's probably in the 60's if he make 3 additional catches.

This stat therefore does not indicate bad hands. Rather its saying they aren't in sync yet--shit, 3 games in? How long did it take AR and Davante Adams to become amazing--more than a season.

Unfortunately they likely wont get more than 2 seasons together so they need to get in sync quick for the stats to demonstrate G's proficiency.

8. Losmeister

fwiw, my take on GW is pretty much the same as my take on Jamal Adams. b/c they are 1st rnd draft picks
    Jet fans tend to ignore the shortcomings in their game.

GW has time to get better. We'll see.

9. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

AR is not hyping his players for anybody outside that team. That's not his goal. His response was a legit expression of praise. That's AR telling Wilson he appreciates him and that was what he needed from him on that play.
    I'm not gonna micro-analyze Garrett Wilson's plays to prove where I think he rates. Don't give AF about that. I'm gonna give him credit where it's due. And that was a great play. Don't like it too bad. But you're not telling me what he is and I don't care whether you like him or not. These numbers you're throwing around are meaningless to me. So you don't have to keep coming at me every time I say something good about him to prove what you say he is. I was never in that fight

Wilson has a burning desire to be great and he wants to prove it every play. Same with Breece Hall. AR knows that but also knows that that takes a backseat to the team. Not individual notoriety. So he's trying to keep them humble and not let their egos get in the way of team success. Which is part of dealing with young guys and knowing what the priorities are to succeed and win.
    So AR is juggling that with getting everybody to be on the same page. Everybody. Not individual shit.
    So really focusing on individual shit and worrying about how they are rated somewhere is a waste of my time as well.

Losmeister, NY Jets68 and LAJet like this.
  10. Losmeister

didnt mean it that way. we see it different. cool.

Ill Will likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Davante Adams was deemed an All Pro with a 55.6 catch% in 2022. Lower than Garrett Wilson that same year (his rookie year).

Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, DK Metcalf, Tee Higgins and DeAndre Hopkins were all lower than GW was last year.

McLaurin, Davante Adams & Mike Evans were all below 60% and barely better than GW.

I don’t begrudge the argument but I do think it needs more context than it’s being given with Zach Wilson tossing the rock especially when I’d guess he’s probably out of the league next year.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

GW is a great receiver. Is he the best in the league? No. Is he top 5? Probably not. Is he top 10, yeah I’d say so. Can he become top 5, no doubt. Can he be the best in the league? It’s within him, we’ll see whether he reaches that level.