Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Thought I was going to escape hurricane season with just the rain from Debbie, guess not

At least I'll be taking my mom to the airport this morning to head back to NY

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You'll probably be OK... Big Bend area is gonna get smoked.
    Most flood/surge prone part of the whole state :confused:

btw... one day coupon at Harbor Freight today on Sump Pumps. 40% off. Off to get a new one now.

3. The Waterboy

Yeah, I was looking at another GFS run and thought it showed it hitting right near Tampa Bay, but looking now we'll probably just get tropical storm force winds

#17323 The Waterboy, Sep 24, 2024 at 12:10 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2024 at 12:22 PM
  4. stinkyB

They've been pretty consistent (with an occasional outlier) on hitting between the Big Bend and Panhandle for almost 2 weeks now... pretty impressive actually

5. The Waterboy

Looks like I was definitely getting worked up over nothing, be surprised if we get more than a couple inches of rain and 35mph winds here. Further north not going to be near that lucky it seems. Storm surge looking to be pretty high

stinkyB likes this.
  6. stinkyB

Sadly that Big Bend region is the most storm surge prone area of the whole state if not the whole country...

But yeah as the storm tightens up it seems alot of our rain potential has gone down. Good thing because after the past 3 weeks the ground is about saturated to max capacity

7. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

If waffle house shuts its serious , good luck florida

stinkyB likes this.
  8. stinkyB

Waffle House, then Walmart, then the apocalypse

9. The Waterboy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well no family or friends got hurt but the damage was extensive. This is the Moose Lodge I go to, and this is not bad compared to some of the other local buildings.

A few friends of my kids lived out on the beach and lost everything.

A couple hours north, a favorite get away for us, Cedar Key, is pretty much wiped off the map.

Edit: Pictures are from Anna Maria Island, I think about 150 miles from the storms track.

#17329 The Waterboy, Sep 27, 2024 at 1:48 PM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 1:57 PM
  10. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Starting to see some of the damage from Florida. Was really hoping we would have a quiet year.

Upstate nc really got hit hard with rain and flooding . There is a lot of fear of dam breaching like back in 17 with Florence. That caused catastrophic flooding all the way down here in the coast with the rivers overflowing. So many neighborhoods and condo complexes were flooded. I have some customers who had 2-3 feet of water in their houses 3 out of 5 years with different storms. There are still water marks on highway 9 on the trees where the water was over 6 feet.

And since then we have so much development here. On top of all the additional properties to flood, each one is also a loss of ground drainage. An analysis found that 42% of housing units in the Myrtle,north Myrtle, Conway area have been built since 2000. That’s freakin crazy.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looks nasty - I know it well. I have friends about four miles north on Holmes Blvd in the upper 60s. Hope all is well with your home, and theirs.

12. typeOnegative13NY

[​IMG]
    This is chimney rock NC. Just horrible. And there is so many more places that suffered the same.

13. typeOnegative13NY

Glad everyone is ok. The damage sucks. We used to go to Anna Maria as kids. My grandparents were in palmetto.

14. The Waterboy

It is so much worse than those pictures show, though homes set back off the water a little may have been spared some of the power of the surge, and suffered mostly flood and wind damage. If your friends need a place to stay, I've got an extra place, a small 2/1 but with the pull out couch would sleep 6. We are fine here, thanks, mostly limbs down in the neighborhood and a couple of homes lost a roof but that seems to be the extent.

15. The Waterboy

Yeah, we head out to Anna Maria at least once a week since it's only 25 minutes and cheap drinks at the Moose right on the beach is always nice. I am right next to Palmetto in Ellenton now.

16. The Waterboy

That was from Florence?

17. typeOnegative13NY

This was yesterday

18. The Waterboy

Damn, it just kept barrelling up there. Have been seeing more pictures coming in from the damage everywhere and it's hard to wrap my head around how it got so strong, so fast

19. typeOnegative13NY

It’s crazy. In nc, it was just the amount of rain overwhelming everything. Was just looking at the map and road closures, they are basically cut off. It’s like this for miles and miles both east and west. Saw pictures of i40 basically crumbled into the river at some points.
    [​IMG]
    I think at one point the storm was reaching 400 miles for impacts. We had a few tornadoes here, and some even in Wilmington.