Are the Jets soft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 10, 2024.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Breece Hall consistently got tackled one on one by Warner. O-line could not establish the run. Gardner whiffed on several tackles, and most runs ended with the runner falling forward. Where is the aggression? Who is the enforcer? Did Moseley hit anybody?

There are levels to greatness and hopefully this game pushes them to practice and play on a higher level, but for now they look like a soft finesse team.

mezzavo and Brook! like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Oh yes they looked soft yesterday. Very soft indeed. Not sure if this was a first game softness or not but what we saw was a team being manhandled by bullies.

SOJAZ, JohnnyJet, fansince90 and 2 others like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Rob Saleh is soft.

SOJAZ, Vida and JetsVilma28 like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I wasn't surprised with the loss, but I was surprised with how poorly the defense played. They looked soft last night.

Vida, fansince90, mezzavo and 3 others like this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All hype, no substance. It's all gas, boys. Of course it's soft.

6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Read a little bit to much of their own press clippings.. A fresh helping of humble pie was served by an ACTUAL SB team. They got a ways to go to get to that level. Glad it happened right out the gate.

SOJAZ, Vida, fansince90 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Are the Jets soft?

Is the sky blue?

8. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Too soft to play predictable offense and defense. If you are going to be predictable it requires you to completely out muscle your opponent. No team likely could have beaten the 49ers with that game plan.

fansince90 likes this.
  9. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, guess where the gas comes from !!!!

JohnnyJet likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Everything in this world starts at the top. The Johnsons are soft and shit rolls downhill from there.

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

G wilson is soft af.

also, as ever, really low catch %

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

In what way?

13. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I have been saying this all summer long when we were forced to listen to the BS about this Jet team going to the SB, winning the Afce, that last night's debacle had 35-12 written all over it. After 50+ years watching basically the same game(s) over and over, year after year, you get to expect nothing more from this organization. Like their co-tenants in the swamp, they looked as though 150+ days was not enough time to prepare for their opponent who was announced in May. I could only actually stomach watching the first half because I saw we had zero chance as usual when we are on National TV, and this is what I saw:

Embarrassing asf. Listening to Joe Buck bloviating about their winning the AFCE, and all of this talent. Give me a break. Coaching is as hideous as it always has been, with zero imagination on offense, zero plan to stop the run on defense, no pass rush, over pursuit on every play due to the lack of pass rush. D was an overall mess. Zero adjustments to the run defense as well as witnessed by the first drive in H2 right down the field with no resistance.

Penalties all over the place

Breece did nothing except fumble.

Lizard is awful, that Q1 drop was inexcusable

Where are all of the great young players we were forced to believe would contribute? Corley? McDonalds? Jermaine Johnson? The 4 RB's he drafted in the last 2 years? I N V I S I B L E

O line pass protected somewhat ok but could not move the DL in the run game, it was laughable how manhandled they were. You could see very early on that this Jet team had no business being on the same field with SF.

The sky is not falling - YET. I am hoping this is what you get with a terrible HC, a terrible OC, a meh DC, an offense/defense that has not played since last January in a real game, and a QB who is 40+ and hasn't played in 2 years as well. Have to also hope that the supposed talent we allegedly have here can overcome the bad coaching, poor / lack of preparation and scheming. If not, we could see a mid-season coaching change, which today, does not look like such a bad idea. If we start 0-3 or 0-4, heads should definitely roll. Haven't heard the Reddick word yet. Doubt he makes 1 iota of difference last night sadly, even sadder is asking myself why he would ever want to play here with this crappy team.

So based on last night only, if this team wins 5 games it will be an accomplishment. Hope they fix it, or else it will be another football season of free Sundays, just as the last 12 years have been for me.

SOJAZ, JohnnyJet, fansince90 and 2 others like this.
  14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I fear Sauce Gardner is soft.

fansince90 likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fred Warner makes everyone look soft, and Garrett is our best player. That said...

last night we saw an actual SB roster. See how far away we are beyond just a QB? Their offense has Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Kittle, Juszczyk, a solid o-line - not even using CMC. Were not even halfway there. We have Garrett and a lot of aging former stars. And Breece, but he needs an actual hole to hit.

This is why people hope that maybe we can be a playoff team, but were no SB team. Maybe we can handle the middle teams but were way to short on overall talent to be a top team. Add with our generic coaching and -meh.

We had massive resources to build with, and after a 5 year cobble this patchwork, stitched together roster is the result. And JDs build is set to unravel after this season. Its just such an utter failure of team building. I still hope we can get it together for a PO push just to get the monkey off our back. But if we do, it will be a one and done. And we will have to stay unusually healthy to accomplish it.

#15 ouchy, Sep 10, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    fansince90 and sackexchange like this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s one game. Against a Super Bowl team.

But the barometer is a great look at where we are and yah, we’re not even close.

I didn’t really expect to win, but I did hope we’d be competitive. We weren’t.

That D was AWFUL. That drive coming out of halftime where they kept the ball for 7 minutes…reminded me very much of that Raider game long ago where they had a drive where they just ran the ball every play and it lasted forever and ended with a TD - I remember because I was there in Oakland when it happened.

But seeing them run like at will on us was very disheartening. AR did some vintage AR things (that TD on the offside was classic Rodgers)…those long third down throws for first downs on that second drive reminded my how used to seeing us struggle to complete a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8…it was nice to actually have a legitimate QB who could control the line of scrimmage. We haven’t had that since what? Fitzy in 2015? Pennington before that? Crazy.

But we couldn’t sustain drives and going three and out when your defense can’t get off the field results in what we saw last night.

Horrid and a rude awakening.

Seems like this team ALWAYS shits the bed when expectations are high.

but such a depressing game…I gotta assume it’ll get better, but Saleh should be feeling the fucking heat like crazy today…this team was unprepared to play a quality opponent. And how he doesn’t have Zach as an excuse.

Time to start fucking winning.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is true. Its only one game, played top team on the road, Monday after a loss at TGG, over reaction central, etc.

But getting exposed on national TV seems like our favorite hobby.

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

super low % of 50/50 balls won, can be tackled with one arm. doesnt fightg through Cb battles well tio get separation.

fansince90 likes this.
  19. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The question is - why are expectations so high? This is a decent roster but to me, it's a joke when compared to teams like SF or KC. Hell, even MIA is better top to bottom than the Jets, IMO. Add to that a Coaching Staff that is mediocre at best and you're looking at another season probably under 9 wins. Ceiling for this team is WC berth (which would feel like a SB win at this point).

fansince90 and ouchy like this.
  20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Both lines were very soft yesterday. It felt like Breece was constantly being hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. On the flip side, Mason went untouched for two or three yards every run.

I won't just flat out call them a soft team, since who knows how they look in Tennessee. They were an extremely soft team yesterday, though.

fansince90 likes this.