Bold Predictions… Not So Bold Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 25, 2024.

1. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are underrating the significance of going from Wilson to Rodgers. This Jets team went toe to toe with the elite teams of the league last year (Chiefs, Eagles, Bills) despite having the worst QB in the league. Imagine when this defense finally gets to play with a lead? Or have hope finally that their QB can make the plays to get back in the game? Or Garret Wilson finally have a QB capable of throwing to him? Or opposing defenses not being able to stuff the line to stop Breece Hall because they have to respect Rodgers?

I think this team is very dangerous as long as they remain healthy. The only big concern outside of injuries is the Head Coach. Its unfortunate someone like Pete Carrol, Rex Ryan, Or Vrabel aren't coaching this team because I would feel a lot more confident. However with that said, Saleh never has really had a QB and now he does. This is also might be the best overall roster Rodgers has ever had around him across the entire team. In Green Bay, Rodgers needed to carry the team to victories. I feel confident that we will see games this season where the Jets defense carries the load and shuts down other teams offenses.

mezzavo, UK_Chilts and Ill Will like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are overestimating the significance of going from Wilson to Rodgers. Nobody knows who Rodgers is today. Nobody knows where the injury bug will strike - and it will. NFL football is a team game and the consistently best teams have a foundation of successful management and coaching; the Jets do not.

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Bingo!

The Jets might be able to get by to a certain degree if Rodgers stays healthy and plays well. He can carry them much further than Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, or anyone of the other QBs we've had over the past few years could. I think that's obvious.

But, if and when he gets hurt, given that he's a 40 year old QB coming off a major injury and playing behind an O-line that's also aging and injury prone, this team is going to have to rely on its coaching to get them by. And I don't think it's even remotely a stretch to say that the Jets have the worst coaching staff out of all of the so-called "contenders". It's a staff that hasn't met a situation or problem that they couldn't mismanage. But if we're having to rely on Tyrod Taylor or someone else back there, there's no way that Hackett and Saleh are going to be able to navigate this team anywhere near where we want them to go.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rogers has a legacy to protect so he's gonna be all in this year. Perhaps a bit of Brady envy factors in as well. We're in better shape at QB2 than last year for sure not to mention the OL upgrades. I will say this though. The Jets didn't do Wilson any favors. Payton will make that kid a QB whereas Hackett couldn't.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there were quiet reports of Rodgers looking sllllllllow in camp. Father Time is undefeated and he didn’t exactly take the recommended rehab path

Cman68 likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The thing is Brady had a legacy of Super Bowls. This guy has a legacy of MVP awards.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Big difference between the two and you gotta figure to a degree, this is a pain point for Rodgers.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

• Aaron Rodgers is closer to his 2022 than 2021 form
    • The offense runs through Breece Hall with Braelon Allen also having a notable role. Breece cements himself as a top back, earning the rushing title, and this 1-2 punch reminds us of some of the better ones we've ever had here.
    • Speaking of good memories, this OL will be the best we've seen in many years and leaves us comparing it to 09-10, opening huge holes for Breece and Allen regularly.
    • Hasson Reddick isn't playing a down anytime soon
    • Defense remains really strong regardless, a top-10 unit at least and probably better.
    • We finally make the playoffs and go further than the wildcard.

mezzavo likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'll go with bold predictions and leave the not so bold for others.

Jets are 5-0 entering the week 6 game with Buffalo

Jets UDFA wins DROY, just not sure which UDFA

Jets get a 1st round bye in the playoffs

stinkyB, abyzmul and mezzavo like this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I hope you're right on the last point... I haven't been to a jets home playoff game since they smacked around Peyton and the Colts over 20 years ago.

11. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

It sure would help. Every time but once they got knocked out of the playoffs since '82 they were on the road: '82, '86, '91, '98, '01, '02, '04, '06, '09, and '10.

I always thought that was the difference in the majority of those games. Especially '82, '86, '98, '04, and '10.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

His last season in GB wasn't that good by his standards. He had 26 TD's 16 INT's and five games where he threw for less than 200 yards. With that said he is still a major upgrade over Wilson. I think this offense is going to run thru Hall first anyway. If Hall gets going, then that will open things up in the passing game specifically to G. Wilson. Jim Kelly said that the key to their no-huddle offense was to get Thurman going. If Thurman was having a good game which was usually the case, then everything else opened up. It will be the same with Hall. IMHO

onefanjet, ouchy and Ill Will like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's kind of surprising that we (at least I) haven't seen anything from camp about how heavily taped Rodgers has been and if he is using any orthotics to help support the repaired Achilles. I suppose it would be encouraging if he was just getting routine preparations.

14. BrowningNagle

We actually haven’t heard anything about how Rodgers looks from the so called beat writers here.

Just passing stats which is dumb when they can’t hit him anyway

Makes you wonder. If Rodgers looked broken and old would we even know? The journalists aren’t saying and he didn’t play in the preseason

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Do you WANT to be sad?

16. BrowningNagle

nope, I hope its vintage rodgers

stinkyB likes this.
  17. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

Conner Hughes has talked him up pretty good. He's a Giants fan. He's the only one I know about because he's on SNY and I check that out. Don't really care about what a single one them says though.
    There's plenty of video of him online too. Doesn't look broken to me.
    One thing is for sure he's whizzing the ball all over the field. Garrett Wilson is in another level too.
    I don't think anyone's expecting something from him like ten years ago. They don't need him to be in order win.
    If something happens to him I think they're gonna win with Taylor

stinkyB likes this.
  18. abyzmul

I think that pretty much every Jets fans deep down is addicted to being sad at this point.

jets_fan likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

20. abyzmul

This year's team slogan is Don't Harsh My Mellow.