Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No he hasn’t. He said he hasn’t spoken to Reddicks agent in weeks

2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Yeah and he's not budging. He's been over it for months. Only reason he even brings it up is because he's asked.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Get over what? You want him to hand a 3 year 30m contract to Reddick? You want JD to just cave and hand money over to the guy? That’s the kind of GM you’re looking for? Reddick will be here when he needs to be here. If not, he’s the cherry, he sure as hell was never the cake or the icing. Let him try and come for the bare min he’s required and see what kind of contracts he’s offered next year. If the dude wants to grenade his career then that’s a testament to who he is as a person, almost as much as being on his 4th team in 8 years even though is play is fairly elite. Thankfully he availed himself quickly before we hand him any money. At this point I wouldn’t talk to him at all about contracts until next season.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I've seen some throw out the idea of giving the guy a raise for this year since we have the cap space, but not signing him beyond 2024, let him test free agency again. This team will have too many cornerstones to address to resign Reddick anyway.
    At his age with free agency looming it would seem to be career suicide to sit out a year. Also not the best look in the world to hold out. I have no idea what he's gonna do though

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"And then we gave the 30-year-old non-QB a super-expensive contract extension," said the well-respected NFL GM. "And we've never regretted it."

The End.

mezzavo and Lon Chaney like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He clearly would make this team better particularly on a playoff run and with injuries looming. But the drop off is not as huge as we proclaim. This D is pretty solid. Having said that both JD AND Reddick need to get their ego in check and get it resolved. It would benefit them both. I also want to note that if there are injuries at key DE positions in other teams, the possibility of a trade increases.

onefanjet likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we got a great chance. Also, the niners star tackle is holding out, and our star DE is holding out. So ATM its a wash.

TBH honest I'm not sure. Over the Cap had us at 20 million last week, which wasn't including the 15 million we owe Reddick because he's on the suspended list. (Basically we were 5 million under with his original contract). Currently its showing our cap is at 11 million, which isn't even enough to pay Reddick's original contract. I'm not sure what happened from last week to this week, or why our number lowered.

One of our biggest problems right now is our cap has been managed poorly. We are currently near the top of the league in dead money (53 million). And most of the dead money we owe is for questionable signings/contracts. Look at the bulk of the offenders:

Laken Tomlinson $10,740,000
    John Franklin-Myers$9,056,000
    Zach Wilson$8,457,670
    C.J. Uzomah$5,921,668
    Carl Lawson$5,860,000
    Duane Brown$4,728,000
    Jordan Whitehead$3,300,000
    Mecole Hardman$2,000,000

Most of these players never performed close to their contract, except JFM, who we got rid of to sign Reddick. The big winner is the Broncos, who got JFM and Zach Wilson for 7 million combined, while we pay the other 17.5 million of their salary. We're still paying Hardman 2 million and the guy played what, 10 snaps, before becoming the Chiefs SB hero. JD has been a boon for the AFC West.

onefanjet and mattyd99 like this.
  8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Some of those contract examples definitely look bad, but if I may try and spin our Gms situation more positively.......isn't it good he's recognized these (his) mistakes and moved on, somewhat quickly?.......(draft mistakes maybe less so)

San Fran gave what 3 first to move up for Trey Lance? Looking at what Denver gave up and paid Russell Wilson is even worse. But both of those examples bait was cut quickly and the teams are now moving on, which I guess is what I'm nervously applauding Joe for doing.

It feels like every contract in professional sports a player is either "over paid" or "underpaid" in the context of their value. It's so easy for us fans to play armchair GM, but I've got to imagine it's the most difficult position in the front office in terms of juggling contracts, personalities, ownership, and giving the team what it needs both now and for the future.

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It would be nice if he's finally learned how to move on from his mistakes, but after subjecting us to three years of Zach Wilson, I'm not holding my breath.

Ralebird and IDFjet like this.
  10. Ptflea2

We are. Douglas rolled the dice Wilson would sit and hopefully develop under Rodgers for 2 years (He saw the mistake after those 2 previous seasons, tried to remedy it).

With Rodgers injury, obviously, he rolled snake eyes and Wilson was now unfortunately playing.

Again, I acknowledged Douglas mistake on drafting (every GM has some) Wilson, but now Zach is gone. That page has been turned.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Get over what? He’s not wrong here, what do you want them to give this guy a major extension? Ridiculous

mezzavo and Skicats like this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

BN

Joe Douglas is an idiot. He shouldn't have traded for Reddick without a long term agreement in the first place. But now that Reddick decided not to report, Joe D is doing the right thing here. No reason to make nice to a player holding out.

jets_fan likes this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Readin' thru the thread, & following any news on Reddick, I've kinda realized... Who cares?
    I don't care what he does anymore.
    Reddick lost me, when it became apparent he placed himself above the team.
    He did it wrong.
    Players tend to support players/teammates in contract squabbles.
    Instead of disappearing, it would've been wise to report, & form bonds with other players.
    It would've put more pressure on the organization to sign him, once he was part of the team.
    At this point, I'd be surprised if many players haven't had some negative "thoughts" about Reddick's holdout.

Me, let him waste a year of productive football, at a point in his career, when he can reap the rewards of his play. It's about team... while JD has put together a primo team at skill positions, he's whiffed on a few biggies.
    But I can't overlook the team. Obviously, Reddick would help, but if he continues his silly holdout, Go Jets!

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

you are right. Good points.

but Joe Douglas is a douche

15. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

At this point, I’m of the mindset that Reddick is gone for season. If he’s not I’ll be nicely surprised. Either way, Joe D looks bad here. There’s no escaping the bad look. You can agree with him in his stance, and at the same time admit that he shouldn’t have then done the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I’m usually a pro-player guy in these holdouts….but I can’t think of a guy who was JUST TRADED holding out. Because that means he was also JUST TRADED FOR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Completely agreed.

He's doing the right thing now, but that's really a moot point because it was his incredibly massive blunder that put him in the position to take that stance in the first place. At the end of the day, they basically took a third round pick, crumpled it up, and threw it in the trash can. Considering Douglas' record in the first two rounds of the draft, that third rounder could be a valuable pick.

Brook! likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

that’s a nice rant but we were talking about Douglas saying he wouldn’t negotiate while Reddick is holding out.

He needs to get the fuck over that, every GM negotiates with holdouts, including our week 1 opponent which just signed their beast up to play against us

19. BrowningNagle

see my post above, we were talking about negotiations.

20. Ptflea2

You may not like him, but he's not "an idiot."

Yeah, he's the GM of a billion $ company. He definitely got there cause he's an idiot :rolleyes:

JetFanInNE and Jets OG fan like this.