Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It was a dumb trade and both parties are responsible. But we are the ones being dumb.

People can harsh on Reddick but what he's doing isn't that uncommon. He has become a top 3 DE and wants to be paid according to his talent. We see this all the time with players wanting new contracts. Reddick has 29 sacks and 49 QB hits in 2 season. If he gets hurt at his age that all goes out the window. The real problem boils down to Reddick being a top player and its become very hard for teams to afford their contracts - especially us. We cannot afford to pay Reddick what he wants this year, or next year, without crashing. We already did financial gymnastics just to get Rodgers and Q paid.

Then there is JD's end. Why did we trade for a player we knew was going to hold out and we knew we couldn't afford. Why did JD lie and say Reddick agreed to play on his salary this season when everyone knew he was going to hold out for a new contract? Were we supposed to believe coming to the Jets was reward enough? Or that the eagles were just really generous giving us a top DE on the cheap while signing Huff to an even bigger contract? Reddick doesn't want to be traded because he hates us - but because he recognizes we cant afford him. He wants to go to a team that can afford him. And these are the days of our lives.

#461 ouchy, Aug 29, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
  2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

on a related note, TGG fan favorite brodrick jones looked bad this pre-season and is not a lock to start

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Is that what JD said, though? I haven’t seen all the quotes and press conferences so I’m not sure what he said but to me, from what I’ve read, I thought he said:

1. They talked about an extension at the time of trade
    2. They couldn’t agree on that extension
    3. He was told the player would show up while they negotiate
    4. And based on that, he felt comfortable doing the trade

At least that’s what I’ve read…I haven’t seen anything where JD said he thought the player would play on his current deal. I don’t think anyone thought that. Now, what he meant by contract talks I don’t know…maybe he was hoping that increasing guaranteed money or adding incentives would be enough for Reddick to play, but I don’t know.

I’m guessing he felt good enough that he could eventually strike a deal, I think he’s not a moron, and so he probably did consider the possibility of a holdout, so we’ll see.

I’m not a huge fan of doing the deal without getting the contract fixed, and I’d probably have just walked away from the deal and let the Eagles handle their own contract bullshit, but he clearly felt that the player was too good to pass up at that price, and probably felt that he will eventually show up rather than sit out all year.

I don’t know…I think Reddick is a HUGE addition and makes our DL into one of the best in the league, but even without him, if we get some production from McD or some of the other young DEs, we still have a very good DL with JJ and Q and whomever gets the snaps at the other DE slot.

Lon Chaney and ouchy like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you posted. No doubt if Reddick plays for us its a game changer. But the truth is it doesn't make a difference if the contract is negotiated while he is at camp or not. Either you have a deal he wants or you don't. If they did have a deal that worked they would have already made it. Saying report first, than we'll deal, is simply trying to get negotiating power by putting Reddick on the spot with his team mates and the media. He wouldn't have reported to the Eagles without a deal, why would he do it here?

Also, notice JD is now saying "adjust his contract". That's sounding like he just wants to hammer out this one year. But we don't have the money to give even 20 million. This is the best case scenario for this now. We get one year from a player who cant wait to leave.

Bellys Lies, Jets79, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is exactly what he said in the interview. The perception that JD knew he would not report is utter prefabricated speculative nonsense. There is absolutely no way in hell anyone would accept the deal knowing that. Simply no one. It was a good faith arm length transaction which one party reneged on. Time to focus on the 53 we got. He can watch the game on tv

Jets79, mezzavo and onefanjet like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I didn't expect the Jets to ever sign him to a big money extension. Not with the salaries they'll be paying out to their own young talent (hopefully) in the near future. I assumed this was a trade to get a premier talent for one year, playing for his free agent value, in a season that is boom or bust for the QB, HC, and GM. Joe Douglass gaged Reddick's resolve incorrectly, and It is his fault for doing so.

jets_fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If he gaged anything incorrectly was believing in his word, not his resolve. The agreement was reached based on a verbal agreement by two parties, with one back pedaling.

RochesterJet likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no I don’t believe number 3 was said

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Listen to his presser. Loud and clear

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To be fair, what he said was discussions were positive and to the point, and for him to be in the building to start re negotiations. On those basis they felt good and moved forward. If he would have said he would not come in up front till negotiations we can reasonably assume the deal was off.

11. BrowningNagle

did you just quote yourself to refute this? Super confusing

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Only if you don't know what to look for.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yeh, I screwed up. I meant to send it to you to summarize exactly what he said word by word. They kept asking the same question over and over and he kept giving them the same standard answer, starting with we would love to welcome Reddick to our building, everyone will.

14. BrowningNagle

Exactly yeah I saw some of it, it was same old PR speak

LAJet likes this.
  15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Reddick will likely show up 12/1/24 against the Seahawks. That allows him to get his 6 games and accredited season.
    He can sit an rot until then for all I care. I also suspect he has some soft tissue injury when he does show up

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but if that is the case, showing up that late, then the Jets have rights to his contract next year as well, so life won’t be easy for him at all.

mezzavo likes this.
  17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So I finally did some digging because I had some questions of my own regarding how things need to shake out to FORCE Reddick to come back to the table in 2025.

Basically, as long as he reports to the team with 6 games left to play, which includes both regular and post season games, he "accrues" a season. Now, there is also another option which is a CREDITED season. It is different from an accrued season. To pick up a credited season he only has to report for 3 games, same applies as far as regular/post season games. Now, I couldn't really make out if one or the other actually impacts the Jets ownership rights in 2025. However, I'm guessing it needs to be the accrued season and not the credited one. So, 6 games is the benchmark. Now, those 6 games accredited can be gained by being on the 53 man roster in these four capacities: active roster (obviously), inactive roster, PUP and IR.

The one thing I didn't I didn't see anything on is the Non-Football Injury List. This is the list I would like help in understanding. If this turd comes in, with 6 games left in the season, and expects to be slapped onto the active roster is there some scenario where the Jets could place him on some kind of list, such as the NFI list, to force him back to the table in 2025 without an accrued season? Now, obviously, if the team is doing poorly then you put his butt out there for however long he survives. However, if the team is wiping the floor with opponents and well on their way to the playoffs do the Jets start him or do they continue with the hardball and put him on a list that jerks him around like he's jerked the team around?

I know it's a bit vindictive but, damnit, this dude didn't even put in a "good faith" OTA or camp visit. Nothing. He popped in, signed the trade and then was "Casper" right on through this very moment in time. No communication, nothing. That, to me, doesn't sound like someone I would do anything for in any aspect. Personally, I would do everything in my power to force his lazy ass back to the table in 2025. He's not getting any younger and every year that price tag comes down. Thoughts?

ouchy, REVISion, LAJet and 1 other person like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent clarification. Many thanks. In my vindictive opinion, if he does not show up within the first two or three games, and we are doing really well, we need to consider every option. With six games to go, if we are kicking ass, I would not want his appearance to destroy the team chemistry and make him a big favor. Screw that. Too little too late.

mezzavo likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Given how bad the 2020 and 2021 draft classes were, we could have the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever with the franchise tag.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If this was about an entire huge 2nd contract I'd agree. But at this point its over about 5 million dollars for this season, money everyone on the league knows he's worth.

If we go to war with Reddick over this its going to look really bad. We can pay him to be a star here, but we cant force him to be our star. Its going to purposely look like we're trying to ruin a players career, not on principal, but because we couldn't afford the trade we made. Its things like this that make us a cursed team. Even wanting Reddick in camp to deal is dangerous at this point. He reports, no deal gets done, then he announces on Saturday before the game he isn't suiting up. That puts a major distraction and cloud in the locker room. JD created this by making a trade he couldn't afford. He needs to free up some money somewhere and fix it. Or, make a trade.

The public refusal to field trade offers is a big mistake by JD. Obviously he doesn't want to look silly trading a guy he just traded for. But the consequences of this becoming a hazard in an all in season, or for our overall reputation, are too dangerous. Everyone makes mistakes, including JD. But JD has a hard time admitting he makes them, and fixing them. If push comes to shove JD needs to free up some money, or make a trade and fall the sword before it stabs the entire team. We have a top pass rusher. We're not winning anything going to war with him. We only lose.

BrooklynJetsFan, mezzavo and abyzmul like this.