2024 - Week 1: New York Jets at San Fransisco 49ers (MNF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 25, 2024.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Monday at 7:49 PM.
  1. Jets

59.3%
  2. 49ers

40.7%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

2024 NFL season is upon us. Monday Night game against the 49ers.

As always we will use this thread until game time. Right before the game starts a new thread will be started by our admin @Petrozza in the Game Thread forum. We do this to avoid long page threads accumulating in the most visited Jets forum that slows down the forum.

After the game we will continue discussions in this thread.

Good luck Jets.

I say Jets win this one.

2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

So many story lines going into this one.

Will Reddick play or even be ready to play? I've heard some rumors he'll be back tomorrow, others are suggesting 9/4 as the latest day as that's when holdouts typically give up, but it could go until week 2.

Will Aiyuk be on the roster? Rumors have bounced around. Originally, the Steelers had momentum, then it looked like he was staying, now the commanders are back in the mix, but 49ers still want to work the deal out. Best outcome for Jets is a trade to Washington.

Will Trent Williams play? He's in a similar situation as Reddick. Will he end that holdout soon, or is he planning to go the distance?

Will Christian McCaffrey be healthy? I think he will be, but he's got a strained calf, and injuries like that can persist. The Jets may not get him at 100%.

The 49er offense without Aiyuk, Trent and Christian is night and day. Could we be so lucky?

Robert Saleh vs former team and the defense that he helped build.

Aaron Rodgers comeback. Can he do better against a top defense, than Purdy does against a top defense?

I could see this gaming being 20-17.

#2 Jets OG fan, Aug 25, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
    themorey and Brook! like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling about this game

All Gas No Shake, SOJAZ and themorey like this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Going to be difficult game but winable esp if the O can put points on the board....

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I actually pick the Jets here. To me, the Trent Williams signing is the biggest on the 49'ers. McCaffrey can sit this one out if needs be. I watched that Jordan Mason cat and he's the real deal. Aiyuk hurts but they have serious WR depth. The key is the line. Purdy may be born for the Shanahan system and can run it to near flawless execution...when he has time. He's no different than any other QB out there and if Williams isn't on the line I take the Jets in this one.

24 - 17 - Jets

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m forever a hater of these QB’s who pop up and run the Shanahan system well (see Garoppolo, Jimmy).

I feel the same about Purdy. He definitely runs the system with a lot more balls. He runs out of the pocket and takes chances but I don’t think he repeats his season from last year. Felt like he threw a lot of off schedule throws that he got prettttty lucky they didn’t get picked off.

Jets by 60.

JeTsInTexas, Lon Chaney and mezzavo like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the 49ers media crew just got injured.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

How did he do against top defenses last season? Has he faced a defense like the Jets?

mezzavo likes this.
  9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

delusional fanbase
    2:1 Jets over Niners.

smfh

10. mezzavo

How about he goes against that San Francisco defense every day in practice? They also play against Seattle twice a year, which usually fields a "good" defense.

Look, I think Purdy is just one of those cats that flew ALL the way under the radar. Whatever "convergence" happened that he landed in the one offense that is absolutely PERFECT for his skillset, I can only WISH something like that would ever befall our beloved Jets. People who think he is an aberration, though, are kidding themselves. If he had done what he did in that first year and never did anything like it again we could all rationalize that away. However, to have an injury like that and come back and have the year he had and land in the Super Bowl. That just doesn't happen "because." The kid has skills, he is VERY calm and collected for one so young, he fits perfectly in that system and it just seems like the 49'ers lucked into a franchise QB for damn near next to nothing. The only thing that would have made it crazier is if he were an undrafted FA. Of course, every other team out there has to rationalize it all away to make themselves look good. Every other team whiffed so, in their mind, he's going to turn into a pumpkin somewhere along the way. It's the only way they can justify the miss. Do you remember how LONG people doubted Tom Brady? Even after that 1st SB win.

Having said all that, Purdy isn't infallible, our D is pretty damn awesome and if Trent Williams is not on that line I give the Jets the edge. THAT's how important I feel the o-line is in this game. No Trent Williams the Jets win. Oh, and Rodgers has to make it past 4 snaps too! Guess that goes without saying. LOL

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

When the schedule first came out, I felt like back to back road games and a short week would screw us.

But looking at game 1 thru a different lense, we couldn't have San Fran scheduled for a better time. Trent Williams is still holding out (hasn't reported), CMC is dealing with a soft tissue injury, and Auyik is still holding out. If there is a perfect time to play a team I think this is it.

JetFanInPA and SOXXX2 like this.
  12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have a terrible feeling that this game won’t even be competitive.

AndyDrums and jets_fan like this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Me too, Jets by 30:p

14. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will win this. This is a week 1 NFC road game against the favorites to go to the Super Bowl.

Jets have absolutely no pressure in this game at all. If they go there and lose, its not the end of the world. Its probably the lone house-money game of the season and I think they will play smooth with no nerves involved.

Jets 24
    49ers 20

And just perhaps we see the 49ers again later on down the road....

JetFanInPA likes this.
  15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

That and theres no pressure to win this game. If it was like week 16 where we had to win it would be difficult but its week 1, against an NFC team. Shoot your shot here and hope for the best.
    I think Purdys more likely the real deal. Granted stacked team but despite all the pressure and expectations he was able to put his defense into a position where they had to just stop Mahomes on 4th and 1 and they are the Super Bowl Champs.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't doubt Purdy is a quality starter. He reminds me of Chad Pennington before Chad was injured. I'm just wondering how he has done against top defenses. The Jets D mostly dominated top QBs in the league last season.

mezzavo likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we're as good as we look on paper we should have a great chance to win this game. Especially if Aiyuk and Williams are no shows, and McCaffery is still banged up.

18. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Yet another game I will watch from under my bed with both hands over my eyes.

I vote Jets to win!

JeTsInTexas and Brook! like this.
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Aiyuk unfortunately signed.

20. mezzavo

To be honest, the ONLY thing that scaring me right now is all the media hype that is starting to build. I just saw where ESPN now has the Jets favored to win the Division. Every time these talking heads start generating/riding a Jets bandwagon, that's when the wheels fall off.

Jets79 and mrjet80 like this.