Haason Reddickulous Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten him a Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwich yet.

mattyd99, Lon Chaney, stinkyB and 9 others like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We ask the tough questions on TGG.

#382 abyzmul, Aug 25, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
    The Waterboy, themorey and chrisrex like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I am almost always very fucking angry with them when they are on TV.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that’s how it usually works but not here with the Jets

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If McGregor turns into the next JJ Watt, then Haason becomes excess baggage. Even with his gaudy numbers, the overall affect on our cap will be very painful. JD's job will be hard enough next year with alot of our youngins up for extensions. He really can't give the sack to Reddick without letting some of them walk.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well honestly I thought the dude would show up for real games, but at this point, I’m hearing nothing that indicates he will….stupid move on his part if he sits out all year, but it is what it is…that trade SHOULD have actually been contingent on him showing up, but here we are.

Lon Chaney and stinkyB like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets D lights it up against SF, his stand will most rapidly escalate to circle around the toilet ball.

Lon Chaney, mezzavo and Jets79 like this.
  8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

As I've said a few times, I think the Jets should simply not add him to the 53...if he doesn't appear game 1. He doesn't show up, if I were the team, I'd make him have to play "ball" with me next year thus not allowing him to accrue a season.

themorey likes this.
  9. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think once he reports, he either goes on the roster or you have to cut him. If he shows up before game 6, I don't think they can toll his contract.

mezzavo likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Even if he reports now, there’s a highly likely chance that he takes some time to work back into shape and/or gets hurt.

I don’t have the data available but I feel like the history of holdouts is underperformance when they report this late.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Today is basically DDay. If he signs today then I could see him having a role, albeit limited, in week one.
    After today (or really this week - let's say Friday) there's no chance for week 1.

I will admit, I was wrong about this situation. I thought he'd be in camp by now. Reddick had to report at some point. There's no way he is gonna hold on the entire season........ maybe lol

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

What balls it would take to have him report and then cut him lol. No fuckin way NYJ are that tough and maybe, its not the right call anyway. I could see BB doing that.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It kinda doesn't make sense for him to report now. Given he waited this long, at least see how the Jets do first couple of games. If the Jets pass rush sucks and we lose, JD might get desperate. Until then - it's wait see. In a way he has painted himself into a corner, and he will only come out when he absolutely must, and that is not until a few games into the season.

Reddick's goal if he is not getting an extension now is to show the teams he is worth the extension next year. For that he basically has to play well consistently for a solid chunk, but not necessarily all year. Definitely he can miss the 1st month and still show teams he is a great player prior to the off-season. The question is how much can he miss and still do that? Probably some time in Oct he has to show up. But Sept, especially 1st couple of games it makes sense for him to wait given where he is now.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is such a hot mess

Reading back through the thread, is it true that if/when he shows up, we HAVE to put him on the roster or cut him? If true, then we are now at his whim…if we were to cut him we are throwing away a third round pick, though I don’t recall if it’s a 2025 or 2026 pick. Hard to do that.

And honestly, we’d rather have him on the field than not, but man this was just not handled well.

Woulda coulda shoulda, but I don’t care what Reddick or his agent told JD about showing up or not, JD absolutely should have made the pick totally contingent on the player, you know, actually playing. I get we have conditions on it and it can become a 2nd rounder, but it should have had downside protection…like if the player never shows up then the pick becomes a 7th rounder or something like that…

Ugh

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I am in the minority it seems, but I think JD knew and planned for this holdout the entire time. For whatever reason, we clearly weren’t signing Huff long term. Probably a combo that they don’t think he’s worth it and they can’t commit to him long term right now. JD has a good relationship with PHI, there’s no doubt he knew that Reddick was disgruntled and not easy to deal with. For one year under his current contract, Reddick is a steal. Whether he shows or not is irrelevant to JD’s tenure. Getting to the playoffs matters most. How we get to the playoffs and how we fare in the playoffs will matter somewhat, but I highly doubt JD gets fired if we make the playoffs. If we don’t, JD is gonna get fired. He knows this. Taking a gamble on a disgruntled player that you have no attachment to whatsoever is an easy gamble. Reddick has to show up or he’s losing his eligibility and he’ll be in the same situation next year. He will show up, and he’ll probably at his physical peak by the time the 2nd half of the season rolls around. Thats when we’ll need him most. To be honest I think it took a lot of guts for JD to take on this staredown and as much as I’ve maligned Douglas, this isn’t a reason why. Reddick is the type of player that can turn a playoff team to a SB contender come playoffs. That’s when we need him.

mezzavo and LAJet like this.
  16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Why? Do you really think he’s gonna sit out the whole year? JD knew exactly what he was taking on- a cheap ass contract for one year of elite pass rushing. At the risk of some fan and media noise in the preseason during what would be the most obvious holdout of the offseason. If we make the playoffs this year you really think we’re firing JD just because Reddick didn’t show up?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have trouble believing that this was in Joe Douglas' plans.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

No I get it, and I don’t disagree with your comments really. I don’t think he’ll sit out the year…that gets him nothing but tolling to next year just to do it again

I just would have loved to see better downside protection on the pick…but yeah, I agree JD knew this would be an issue and that’s why a pass rusher of this caliber only cost a future 3rd/2nd…it would have been more costly absent the pass rush issue. I do think JD gambled on the player not sitting out all year.

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Yeah--this is like Sith lord level strategizing lol--don't see it either. I see JD more along the lines of jar jar binks level strategies.

sozopol likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I disagree to some extent. I absolutely think that JD knew that he would be difficult, but by sweetening the deal he would play one year. I think he did not expect him to hold out, but I am convinced that his worth will be most critical during the second half and playoff run when every single game is crucial to the play offs.

#400 LAJet, Aug 26, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.