Boomer floats Riddick for Adams trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Aug 13, 2024.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Reddick will be a Jet, my guess is Monday. They are in Carolina until Saturday night, off Sunday. Get him in the building Monday and get rolling.

They need Reddick way more than they need Adams. I still think Adams can be had for a better price near the trade deadline. Time will tell.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  2. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Totally agree. And let’s not forget that after Rodgers puts some points on the board early, the Jets can lean on their baby bull running backs to eat up the clock in the fourth quarter!

#42 joelip, Aug 14, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We can maybe afford Riddick or Adams. We certainly cant afford both.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh sure they can. Large guaranteed numbers backloaded to 2029 and 2030 could get it done.

KY Jets Fan and ouchy like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that no team is going to trade for Reddick, but for very different reasons. He was disgruntled in Philly, wanted a trade, but no one was beating Philly's door down to trade for him when JD talked to them. Now he's demanding to be traded again. He has gone about this offseason totally wrong, and I think every team probably wants nothing to do with him and his outrageous contract demands at age 30. If he was 5 years younger and his game wasn't so reliant on his speed, it could be a very different story, but at his age players can become more injury-prone, and players' speed and skills can start disappearing over night.

SOJAZ and joelip like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think at the least the Lions would be interested in Reddick. They have nobody opposite of Hutch, and adding Reddick would be a big move to get them over the top, as well as freeing up Hutch more. They are also flush with cap space and mid round draft picks.

LAJet likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I read somewhere last night that the Lions have already said that they have zero interest in Reddick if he becomes available. The guy's a massive headache. He overvalues his play, expects guaranteed money at 30, and has asked for a trade from two teams this offseason.

8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The Lions would be absolutely foolish to make a trade for him. They'd be bringing in a guy who has been discontent on two teams in one year to a young, up and coming team that doesn't need that kind of distraction.

The Jets are the perfect team for this situation. This is a distraction and the Jets crave distractions over actual success.

And, to be clear, Reddick is absolutely within his right to hold out. I hold no ill will towards him whatsoever. He made it clear he wanted a new deal and the Jets couldn't figure out what 31 other teams manage to figure out when they make a trade for a player in the exact same situation.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

First off, Reddick is going to show up. He has to. Bottom line. He has no other option. The latest is week 2 or 3. My guess is he's on the field week 1 in a limited role.

Second, there's a part of this people are missing. Reddick plays this year. Signs with another team in the off season. Most likely the jets will recoup a comp pick in the 2026 third round. I know comp picks arent a sure thing, and it may not come to fruition, but I'm pretty sure thats what JD was thinking.

LAJet, NCJetsfan and Sec124DieHard like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

JD is probably thinking he’s willing to take the mud that is getting flung his way on this because Riddick has zero leverage in this, and because Reddick is irrelevant to JD’s long term tenure here. If we make the playoffs and Reddick never shows, JD isn’t getting fired. If we miss the playoffs and Reddick shows, JD is getting fired. Reddick doesn’t make us a playoff caliber team, we already are one. Reddick gives us a chance to be a real SB contender come playoff time, and that’s why he’s worth the defamation he brings to JD’s resume.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I sincerely fail to see how this would make any sense for the Raiders in any way what so ever.

JetFanInNE and Nyjets4eva like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't be so sure that JD is getting fired if the Jets don't make the playoffs. He has assembled the talent. Now, it''s up to the players and CS.

LAJet and Burnz like this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

If this can be confirmed as true then JD needs to go back to Trade 101... Seriously, if this is it then JD needs to be gone immediately...

14. NCJetsfan

I disagree. JD knew Reddick had no leverage. Reddick wants a new contract next year with guaranteed money, the only way he is going to get it is to have a great season with the Jets this year. If Reddick sits out, he loses a year's salary, has a couple of million in fines, has damaged his appeal to other teams, and the the Jets retain his rights. He has to show up and play. Reddick agreed to be here, and either lied or changed his mind. If he didn't think $15 million was enough for this season and no guaranteed money, he never should have signed the contract to begin with. I'll bet he signed it thinking he could force the team to extend him and give him more money and guaranteed cash. That's disingenuous. He can't have his cake and eat it too. Reddick has hurt himself by not doing a "hold in" rather than a hold out. The guy is stupid, and has an overblown estimation of what he thinks he's worth. He'd make the Jets better if he shows up and plays, but I don't care if he doesn't. It's doubtful that any team would trade for him even if JD agreed to trade him. He actually hurt himself, and helped the Jets by holding out. He's giving extra reps to all the Jets' Edges helping them develop more quickly, and making himself look like a greedy dumbass. He's already made $51 million in his career. $15 million is excellent money for one year.

mezzavo and SOJAZ like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Everybody knew this was the case. Reddick was threatening to hold out last season after a 16 sack year, but eventually gave in stating that he would play one more year, but would for sure need a new deal in 2024. It comes down to JD insisting Reddick suddenly agreed he'd play his original contract this year - which is bullshit. People have known for better than a year this wasn't his plan, including Phily. They wouldn't trade a top 4 pass rusher who was playing on a steal contract. The eagles traded the player and the negotiation to the Jets - and this was well known. What we thought when we made the trade was we had an agreement in place, not the, "he had a change of heart and will play his original contract" BS, which made no sense.

I disagree that this is helping the Jets in any way. This is terrible drama and a distraction which is also the cost of a high pick. People saying Reddick wouldn't help us be a playoff team are being FO homers. The truth is he does deserve a new contract. In two years with the eagles he had 27 sacks and 49 QB hits. He' be the best DE we've had since Abe. Except, even when we made the trade, we couldn't afford him. It should have never been done. In typical JD fashion, it was a dumb, desperate reach where he either lied to himself about what would happen, or blatantly lied to the press.

Now its a standoff which could become a war. In that case this is what could happen with to much bad blood. Reddick eventually shows up, and develops nagging soft tissue injuries that keep him out. He gets his paid his current contract, fucks JD, and leaves fresh while we're out a high pick. Or maybe he plays legit, but is disgruntled the whole year bringing down morale. And our CS is terrible at handling morale players. Star players always have some leverage which is why its bad to go to war with them. This isn't helping the Jets. Its nothing but losing so far.

#55 ouchy, Aug 20, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    mezzavo, stinkyB and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000% in agreement. Stay tuned for a new HC with an offensive mind.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

You make some good points, but the bottom line is it hurts Reddick much, much more than the Jets. Yes, the Jets would be better with Reddick, but if Reddick either sits out, shows up late and legitimately gets injured, or shows up late and then dogs it and claims to have injuries, he's not getting that big contract with guaranteed money he wants next year. At best, he'd get a prove it deal to prove that he could stay healthy and produce at his previous levels. Not having Reddick could prevent the Jets from getting to or winning a SB, but as long as he makes the playoffs, his job is probably safe.

If what you claim about the Reddick situation is true, then yes JD is to blame for the situation, and that then was a stupid move, but until that is proven to be true (Reddick didn't agree to report and then negotiate a new deal), I'm giving JD the benefit of the doubt. He has made other big mistakes, so it won't surprise me if you prove to be right, but he has built this roster, and has the best roster the Jets have had in a long time, maybe ever. Maybe he's just schizophrenic or bi-polar.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be proven completely wrong when all the facts come out, but there is no way in my mind the discussion upon which the agreement was made assumed that Reddick would sit out until an agreement was reached. Much to the contrary the opposite was true. In fact JD might have been more than willing to sweeten the pie with a full guaranteed year with incentives based on performance if he reported and established a leadership role in good faith. I truly believe the Agent forced the hand and reneging on the verbal agreement.

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

None of us were involved in any of the discussions, so we’ll never really know.

However, everyone knew the player was unhappy with his deal and wanted a new one…in fact that’s probably the biggest reason for the price being a conditional 3rd rounder a year out…if there were no contract issue, Philly probably isn’t moving the player, and if they were to do so, the price would have been much higher for a pass rusher of his stature.

So given that background, I think JD probably gambled that

(a) he’d be able to reach a deal with the player that was agreeable to both sides…maybe an increase to guaranteed money this year, maybe adding a few incentives to sweeten the pot this year, etc.

(b) the player would report to camp while they negotiated a new deal, and

(c) in the end, Reddick wouldn’t REALLY hold out into the season

The gamble isn’t working so well now, and I’ve seen nothing in reporting to indicate that Reddick will report for game 1, but seriously…sitting out the year on spite doesn’t usually work out well for the player, and as a 30 year old player, I just can’t imagine he’d do that…would be a very bad move for an aging player looking to score one last huge contract. Sooner or later, he’s going to have to put his ego aside and show the fuck up.

Fun times…

NCJetsfan, mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This is my prediction unfortunately.