Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's Cowherd's job - to report what's happening in the world of sports. Are you really faulting a guy for doing his job?

He's certainly not the only one making the report:

SPORTSFOOTBALLNEW YORK JETS
    Jets' Haason Reddick requests a trade, but GM Joe Douglas says no
    [​IMG]

Then-Philadelphia Eagles' Haason Reddick walks off the field at halftime of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 31, 2023. Credit: AP/Matt Slocum

By Al Iannazzoneal.iannazzone@newsday.comAl_IannazzoneUpdated August 12, 2024 4:08 pm
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Haason Reddick has yet to show up for work and now he wants to sever ties with the Jets.

Reddick formally requested a trade from the Jets on Monday. The two-time Pro Bowl edge rusher has been holding out of training camp while seeking a new contract. No progress has been made and now Reddick wants out.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas released a statement Monday afternoon that said he would not honor Reddick’s trade request and that they expect him to report to the team.

“We have informed Haason that we will not trade him, that he is expected to be here with his teammates and that he will continue to be fined per the CBA if he does not report,” Douglas said.

This is the second time in six months that Reddick has requested a trade from his employer. He asked the Eagles to move him when they wouldn’t renegotiate his deal after the season. The Jets acquired Reddick from Philadelphia in March for a conditional 2026 third-round pick.

Reddick, 29, is due $14.25 million in the final year of his contract. He has been fined $50,000 a day for missing training camp. Monday was the 21st day of Reddick’s holdout. He also skipped the Jets’ entire offseason program and mandatory minicamp. Reddick has forfeited roughly $1.7 million in fines and lost bonuses.

The Jets planned to either rework Reddick’s contract or give him an extension after they traded for him. They reportedly made an offer to Reddick but were turned down. Now things have turned ugly.

Reddick is looking for a deal that will make him among the highest-paid edge rushers in the NFL. Reddick has totaled 50.5 sacks over the last four seasons, the fourth-most in the league in that time.

The Jets were told, according to a league source, that Reddick would report and play under his current contract. They have maintained their stance that they will not negotiate with Reddick while he’s away from the team. The Jets want Reddick to show a commitment to them before they commit to him.

“Since the trade discussions back in March we have been clear, direct and consistent with our position,” Douglas said. “Our focus will remain on the guys we have here as we prepare for the regular season.”

Reddick showed up for his physical and spoke to reporters via Zoom after he became a Jet in April. He expressed excitement about joining their defense and said he wasn’t worried about his contract.

“I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m going to be happy for it, I’m going to give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person.

“No matter how it goes, how many years I’m going to be here, for however long I’m here for I’m going to give the team, the fans, everything that I have.”

The Jets were excited about adding Reddick, a proven pass rusher, to an already formidable defense and strong front line. Reddick was brought in to replace Bryce Huff, the Jets’ sack leader last year, who signed a three-year, $51 million contract with the Eagles.

Reddick was an upgrade and he was expected to take some of the attention off All-Pro defensive tackle Quinnen Williams. If this lingers or the Jets trade him, they need to find someone to line up on the other side of Jermaine Johnson.

The Reddick acquisition also led to the Jets trading productive lineman and locker room leader John Franklin-Myers. They sent Franklin-Myers to the Broncos when they couldn’t rework his deal.

In Reddick’s absence, Micheal Clemons and last year’s first-round pick Will McDonald have been getting extra reps with the starting group. The Jets believe McDonald will take a big jump this year, but the expectation going in was that he wouldn’t play as much — if Reddick was in a Jets uniform.

[​IMG]
    By Al Iannazzone

#181 Ralebird, Aug 12, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
    blackssmagic likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's the opinion part that irks Jet fans.
    I worked on his show for years... he doesn't like the Jets.

Like he really doesn't like the Jets... :confused:

NOVAJET likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Do you really know what Cowherd likes? Does it matter in the slightest what he likes? Is there something wrong with his report?

His job is to make commentary as well as reporting facts.

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You know how this can get even worse? If the contract is worded so the conditional 2nd can occur even if he plays on another team. So a trade at whatever we get back, still puts us at risk of losing a 2025 2nd rounder.

In most for-profit companies, JD would have been demoted by now or pushed out the door another way. He's a liability.

blackssmagic, BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Stop with the he would have been fired nonsense - the NFL is not anywhere near corporate America in anyway shape or form when it comes to player personnel. The assertation that it is, is asinine. Its a job of speculation. Everyone who keeps pushing this line of thought needs to step back from the ledge. Do I think he's done the best job? No. Do I think he's done a stellar job? No. But to say he'd be fired is just dumb. Has he done a good job? Yes. It wasn't a year re-build here - shit it wasn't a 3 year. Things happen in the NFL that no one can predict. It's no picnic building an NFL Roster, especially inheriting arguably the worst roster ever for one of the worst run franchises and perennial doormats in the history of sport.

#185 Mehl-56, Aug 12, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
  6. Ralebird

The NFL is a results based business, similar to every business - if you don't produce a high level of results, your job is in jeopardy. There is nothing nonsensical about it; the results appear in the W - L column.

blackssmagic, BacktoQueens and IDFjet like this.
  7. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Cowherd has been (correctly) pretty vocal all offseason that the surrounding expectation of a 40yo Aaron Rodgers being the Aaron Rodgers of old, much less carrying this offense/team to a locked in playoff run, is based a lot more around wishcasting hype then reality based substance. Pretty sure he had us #1 in a recent most likely to disappoint in 2024 segment.

Which obviously is going to rub a lot of wishcasting type fans of the team in a bad way :)

Ralebird likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

By tagging and matching Huff. I mean, Howie Roseman did it. Replaced him with Huff and got a 3d round pick in the process, we can't just ignore that. What Howie did is what some of us were begging JD to do, and it was much easier to do for JD, because we had the rights to match any offer, Howie had to convince Huff to come to his team. Then he dumped Reddick to JD to get a 3d rounder to boot. All while JD got rid of JFM for nothing, who is on a very team friendly deal.

And again, this is not in hindsight. Roseman did this AT THE TIME. Many of us were begging to tag Huff AT THE TIME. I am not sure how it is not obvious that JD fumbled the bag here huge time.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Because you disagree with an argument doesn't make it asinine.

You say: "Has he done a good job? Yes."--the evidence says otherwise but because "good" is not being defined by you, I can't say you're wrong but I think you would lose a reasonable debate to just about everyone with your position.

Ralebird and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

At least the Jets aren't bent over a barrel until 2026.

twown likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Let's say JD was on the open market right now--there's only 1 team that would hire him as an upper level exec in the GM's office and we all know who that team is lol

12. remedy29

remedy29 New Member

Yes, the Jets are much better off hiring and firing head coaches and GMs on a consistent basis vs trying to actually build something and have consistency in the organization.

If the Jets fire Joe Douglas, the replacement will be much worse. Jets fans never realize this.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Bigger picture and end game I don't think today ultimately changes much.

But after today I also don't think there is really any debate left whether this trade is a firm and notable L for JD. It's maybe even an honorable mention as an all time baddie L with the above and when you factor in that making a trade for a guy in HR's position, with literally zero follow up effort to get them to sign a new contract you already know they are fully planning to hold out for, is basically uncharted territory for good reason.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is JD's 2nd Major Fck Up. Zack Wilson was his first. Does he get 3 bites of the apple?

blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He’s had more than two. His drafting, especially in the early rounds, has been abysmal. Two of his first three first rounders aren’t even on the team and there has been open debate about whether the third should have his option picked up or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJalltheway and IDFjet like this.
  16. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

Typically in these trades, the team that trades for the player has some preliminary talks with the player's agent and they agree to some loose parameters around the contract extension before the trade gets completed. They do that to avoid exactly this situation from occurring. Apparently that didn't happen here. Now the Jets are left with three bad options;

1; Get extorted by Hasson and back up the armored car and pay the man
    2; Play hardball and try to force him back to the team, where he is likely a disgruntled locker room cancer
    3; Try to trade him. They will never get back what they gave up to get him

Maybe Hasson is being completely unreasonable in his contract demands, but ultimately, it is on JD for sticking the Jets head in the noose on this deal without having these issues ironed out ahead of time.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I know full well what his job is... I've helped him do it for the last nine years.
    I even know how he likes his coffee and what snacks he prefers.

And I know... purely from our many discussions on the subject... that he doesn't like the Jets.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hassan Reddick: I request a trade.
    Joe Douglas: I must respond

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Here's what I see happening: Hasson Reddick does end up reporting right before camp ends after the Jets make his original contract while with an adjustment that covers his fines. Then he racks up 10 sacks in the first half of the season against our biggest creampuff opponents and begins to dog it in a couple of games, there is some tension from Saleh in pressers, then Reddick is traded before November 5 for a fifth and seventh round pick.

Bonus points for a more Jetsy scenario: he is traded to a team that the Jets play in the second half of the schedule and he ends up injuring Rodgers for the season.

#199 abyzmul, Aug 12, 2024
    Brook! and Acad23 like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If he gets 10 sacks the 3rd we owe the eagles becomes a 2nd - if he plays 67% of snaps between the two teams.

#200 ouchy, Aug 12, 2024
    abyzmul likes this.