2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=6753d27f40ef40ee98125a40cbae9a91&ei=63

Winners and Losers from Jets' Practice: 8/6

Story by Nick Faria

The New York Jets completed another practice en route to their first preseason game of the season against the Washington Commanders.

While there were obviously a lot of strong plays coming from both sides of the ball, there were a few players who came away as clear winners from the day's work.

Let's get to them all here.

Winners - Xavier Gipson

Gipson made his return from a leg injury that kept him out for the last week and a half and many people wondered if he had potentially lost his job to the likes of Malachi Corley.

That wasn't the case, though.

Gipson worked with the starting offense exclusively, made a couple of nice catches on open routes, and looked like a quality slot receiver for the team in 2024.

Losers - Morgan Moses

Moses has been a strong anchor at right tackle through the first group of team sessions but Tuesday wasn't his best day. Whether it was Eric Watts, Michael Clemons, Solomon Thomas, or a player to be named later here, Moses was beat consistently in both the pass and run game. This shouldn't be anything to be concerned over, but just something to take into account.

Winners - Will McDonald

The entire Jets defensive line dominated Tuesday's practice, but it was McDonald who looked the best of all of them. The former first-round pick beat Moses on one play and put forth a series of pressures that could have gone for sacks had this been a game situation. It was a big day for McDonald.

Losers - Haason Reddick

If Reddick felt that sitting out would show his overall worth to the Jets, the last week (and Tuesday specifically) only hurt his stock. New York's pass rush has dominated practice as of late and the fact that this is coming without the All-Pro is noteworthy. Reddick should be looking to show up relatively soon.

Winners - D.J. Reed

After consistently losing to Garrett Wilson on several plays early in camp, Tuesday looked to be the best practice of camp for D.J. Reed. He came away with multiple pass deflections and even a couple of jump ball wins on Wilson specifically. It was good to see the veteran bounce back.

Brook! and twown like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=9694858a95e84830a56f30dc704ec1a8&ei=11

Third-team Jets show off their skills as stars can’t complete grabs
    Story by Bridget Reilly

Big gains

The longest successful completion didn’t come from the Jets first team. Hamze El-Zayat caught an over-the-shoulder pass from third-string quarterback Adrian Martinez for a big gain. A herd of offensive players ran down the field to celebrate with the rookie on his big catch.

Butterfingers

Garrett Wilson and Allen Lazard couldn’t come up with deep completions from Aaron Rodgers. Wilson had one hand on a long pass, nearly hauling it in, but came up short. He held onto his helmet in frustration.

Later, deep on the right side of the field, Rodgers had a clear target on Lazard, but the six-year wideout bobbled it out of bounds.

Caught my eye
    Xavier Gipson returned to practice and caught several passes from Rodgers, including a pass up the middle while the quarterback was on the run. The second-year receiver was previously out for a week with a leg injury.

Rodgers report

Rodgers went 11-for-21 on Tuesday and took one unofficial sack. He only found success in short, quick passes and runs, especially with Breece Hall.

Rodgers flipped the ball twice to Hall for decent gains and also found the third-year versatile running back up the middle for a few catches.

Injury report

LT Tyron Smith sat out team drills, which lent more reps for Olu Fashanu during 11-on-11 drills. S Ashtyn Davis came off the field after getting hit in the ribs during a team drill, coach Robert Saleh said. They will wait on an evaluation to figure out next steps. CB Michael Carter II (ankle) missed a third straight practice with lower extremity tightness.

Brook! and Borat like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Brook!, themorey, Hemi and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like Braelon Allen and all but I’d hope that the Jets are logical enough to make this the Breece Hall show. You don’t draft a running back high to constantly “protect” him. You run them into the ground and then move on if they get greedy with a big contract.

I can’t imagine he has any interest in re-signing with the Jets so this is the year to give him 300+ touches.

Brook!, themorey, Savatage and 2 others like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree. With his size and style you run Braelon Allen into the ground as much as possible. I would keep Hall fresh.

-Any time we have a lead, thanks Breece but its Allen time.
    -short yardage, that's a stacked box. No need for Breece Hall to take that beating. Give me Allen

It would be nice make the playoffs and have a fresh Breece Hall at the right time. Then we will be cooking with gasoline!!

themorey, mezzavo, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Considering how long it took our OC to realize that Breece Hall was a weapon catching the ball out of the backfield, I think it's fair to think that he might take a while to figure out what Allen's strengths and potential contributions to the team could be as well.

Acad23 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I don't get the running Breece into the ground perspective either--maybe @Jonathan_Vilma can elaborate on his thinking.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Look at what teams do with drafted running backs and their carries early on in their career. Zeke Elliott & Le’Veon Bell are the best examples but there are more. Josh Jacobs, Todd Gurley are some more.

These guys are at their physical best right now and can withstand the work load. There’s no reason to protect a player like Breece for the future when his realistic shelf life is 5-6 years and he’s already two years deep with limited work (one by way of injury).

His body should be able to take 300+ touches and still be fresh. Runningbacks do last a bit longer nowadays but not as a bell cow and as a top producer. The drop off is pretty steep in the 27-29 age range regardless of tread.

IDFjet likes this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--very unemotional analysis--trouble is we love Breece like he's our only child lol.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Tks NC for the updates...

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some backs like Ezekiel Elliott, Curtis Martin you are exactly right, the more carries the better they get

I don’t think Breece Hall is like them

I think he’s more like Alvin Kamara, who does a lot better with fresh legs and less wear and tear.

Kamara, btw, is going into his 8th season with his original team. so not every team breaks and pisses away their running backs

#652 BrowningNagle, Aug 9, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Very fair and I don’t disagree. But they also paid out the ass for Kamara and have been in cap hell for quite a while which includes his contract as a burden.

And has his contract been worth it? One PB appearance since he signed a 5 year/$75 million contract.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I think the truth falls someplace in between. Breece will be our feature guy, cmon. But Braelon will get his hacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I feel like the Saints have been the poster child of "cap hell" at least in the national media for several years.

There "kick the can down the road" approach seems to be brought up every year. Maybe that's why they have been average to below average the last 3 years?

I do like Kamara. Wild to think he's been there that long, because you're right, RBs definitely get chewed up and spit out now with the teams that drafted them.

#655 Ptflea2, Aug 9, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Brandyn Pokrass
    @BPok24

·
    Follow
    #Jets WR moving around during drills at practice. Good to see some change of direction from him already

Rich Cimini
    @RichCimini
    A good look at Mike Williams, who is participating in WR drills as he works his way back from last year’s knee surgery. #Jets

Brook! likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Brook! likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

themorey and Brook! like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

20. NCJetsfan

Robby Sabo
    @RobbySabo

C.J. Mosley picks off Rodgers in the end zone, BUT the QB was thinking “free play.” I didn’t see exactly what happened at the snap, but AR was pointing like it would have been an offside and “play on.” #Jets A couple of plays later, Garrett Wilson is wide open in the end zone, and AR dots him. The closest defender was in Hoboken.
    11:22 AM · Aug 12, 2024

Nick Faria
    @Nick_Faria1720

·
    Follow
    The Garrett Wilson - Aaron Rodgers connection is still lethal. Just caught a TD in red zone. #Jets
    11:23 AM · Aug 12, 2024