Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Didn't the Jets give Leveon a huge contract after his holdout season? It worked out pretty well for him even though he was awful.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think you're following the conversation.

dmw and stinkyB like this.
  3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Legit, this quote was yelled from my often drunken uncle Tommy if a Jet receiver dropped a pass circa 1989 - 2003.

Love ya Tommy Boy. RiP

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Reddick not going to risk injury in training camp without a long-term dea in place. Simple as that. So he loses a few million before the season starts, but he'll still get a contract next year from another team.

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Of course you could be right. Reddick is the type of athlete playing the type of position where he can just throw up huge numbers without a proper camp, but it just doesn't seem like an overall winning formula for someone seeking one last big deal.

Yes, you won't tear your knee in camp, but your odds of getting injured during the first few weeks of the season are even higher, especially after skipping camp. Plus you're chucking millions in penalties. Plus you're not going to be your sharpest coming out of the gate, plus you're telegraphing to the league that you're a headache.

"Not a great plan."

NY Jets68, Jets79 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s just like a baseball player without spring training. They usually start pretty slow to work their way back into the game. We’re watching it live with Gerrit Cole right now.

There’s also no doubt in my mind that Reddick and every other hold out works out like crazy on their own during their hold outs. But nothing simulates football activities against other pro players like training camp. Cutting, running, hitting pads.

7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

$51M in career earnings so far. He's fine. Those penalties don't really matter to him if he's thinking about getting his last bag of money...before his career ends. He's likely going into his last long-term contract opportunity at his age. So it's calculated risk to play hard ball with the Jets.

stinkyB and Borat like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do think you are onto something here. Basically the goal for Reddick is to get another contract either this or if this fails, then next year. To get it this year, obviously he is holding out. But he cannot hold out all year if he wants a contract next year. No one is paying 31 year old off a year lay-off next year unless he has a dominant season. Now, the question is, how many games does he need to play in to show that?

If he comes in end of season, has a few good games, that's not enough. He can also get hurt. So, he must have some cut off point in mind. I am thinking it has to be some time in early Oct. He has to come in train, get in football shape, show dominant performances. If he can say come in Oct, then dominate Nov/Dec, maybe even play-offs it should be good enough.

On the other hand if JD gives him an extension, it sets a terrible precedent. I get the star rookie holdouts, the ones we were going to give extensions anyway, but this is an older guy, signed for a relatively short deal as a FA, just doesn't want to play the last year of the deal. I mean Reed is in the same boat, Quincy will be, etc... JD cannot cave in. Clearly Reddick is not just looking a a couple of mil extra, he is willing to give up millions to make his point. And that point is a large extension.

So, the way I see it, and I hope I am wrong as I don't have the detail, this could take a while and we need to be ready to play Sept or more without him. This is where I am just so mad JD got rid of Huff and JFM. We need to be ready to roll with Clemons and McD. JJ as good as he is, is not really a top pressure guy either. It's not ideal situation JD put us in.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This right here. LOL Would be SOJ!

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, true, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread. If someone wants to answer my question, that's great. If not, then that's fine too.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What do I know from contracts, but wasn't there some kind of disconnect with the Jets not truly knowing what was left on his last year with the Eagles? The whole thing is stupid weird.

So I guess the Jets traded for a fixable contract disaster and I've no doubt Reddick will take the field, but something reeks of someone not doing their homework.

From what I've read it won't be that bad in the end, but trade for a guy, he holds out, go Jets! There is something really funny about this.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Doesn't this hurt him so much next offseason when he's looking to sign with some team? They would be like "you were with the Jets for 5 minutes and you held out. Why should we deal with that"

NY Jets68 and dmw like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't realize it was an honest question. The last report I read was that their DC snapped at a reporter about how Huff isn't a 3 down player yet.

dmw likes this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Tks! Wow!

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The good news for Reddick is his position is exciting. Meaning, once he shows up, he really just needs to make a nice strip sack to win over the Jets fan base. Preferably of Brock Purdy to seal a win Week 1. :cool:

themorey likes this.
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would think all he would have to say is something along the line of "hey, it was the Jets we're talking about here" and that would be enough to allay their concerns.

This franchise is such a laughingstock that I very much doubt that many teams take what happens here all that seriously.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The positive side is that the team's policy is respectable. They don't negotiate when a player is holding out. If they caved, then their policy would be meaningless. Then you really could laugh at them. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. This might be 100% the fault of Reddick and his camp. Maybe they changed their minds about something that was agreed upon. We don't know and the fact that the Jets aren't leaking is also respectable.

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

What did I miss? Did any of our DE's get hurt during the joint session with Washington? From what I'm reading from our own crack training camp report staff, I'm thinking, barring injury, they go into the season with what they have. As a collective unit I think they might be able to do something. It's pretty clear that Reddick was a known problem in Philly. You don't trade a guy with that much ability unless there is a pending known problem. Clearly this guy believes he's worth "X" and the team(s) have a different opinion. I can't say he'd be a locker room cancer as I've not heard much about him but this smells like "disgruntled" employee all over it. I don't know... Personally, I'd let him sit the year out if that's what he wants. Play football with the guys who WANT to be there.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Solid if not stellar reports so far from McDonald, JJ and Clemons. No injuries I know of.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Based upon the press sources, my conclusion is the Mcd has underperformed--thats my conclusion and thats ok if you don't agree--but you shouldnt deny the sheer amount of bad press--and I'm not going to research it for you. Peace jets fans.

mezzavo likes this.