2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

3. NCJetsfan

Rich Cimini
    @RichCimini

#Jets practice No. 3: Offense won the day. Rodgers and Taylor were sharp in the red zone -- 3 drives, 3 TDs with them at QB. Mind you, the Jets were by far the worst red-zone team last season. Baby steps.

Another good day for Rodgers (6-for-8, 2 TDs), Completions to Wilson (2), Lazard, Hall, M. Taylor (TD) and Conklin (TD). TD to Taylor was particularly impressive. Beat the blitz and threw hot to Taylor for a 5-yard score. Rodgers gets rid of the ball so damn fast.

AVT returned to 11 v 11 drills for the first time since his Achilles injury -- and he took all the reps.

The OL still hasn't worked together, but it should be close to happening. Tyron Smith had a rest day; Moses (pec) is close to a return.

Other standouts: Jaylen Key (INT), Ruckert (TD from Taylor), CB Shelton (INT in end zone).

Not much pressure on QBs in camp. Good pass pro or lukewarm pass rush? Hard to tell without pads. Reddick would be a factor, but he has now missed 3 practices as a holdout.

1:27 PM · Jul 26, 2024

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Jermaine Johnson II
    @ii_jermaine

·
    Follow
    Brother… I didn’t line up on the Right side all day… I don’t even go looking for it. it’s either lazy writing or just blatant lying. Either way I did not go up against 74 today. Please just report accurately.

Connor Hughes
    @Connor_J_Hughes
    ·
    #Jets practice is over. A few thoughts. - It was another very good day for Aaron Rodgers. Again: The ball just never hits the ground. He was 10 of 12 passing throughout practice with two touchdowns. He was 6 of 8 with both scores in 11-on-11 periods (including 4 of 6 and the…

barfolomew likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

This is the Connor Hughes report that JJ responded to so strongly in the post above.

Connor Hughes
    @Connor_J_Hughes

#Jets practice is over. A few thoughts. - It was another very good day for Aaron Rodgers. Again: The ball just never hits the ground. He was 10 of 12 passing throughout practice with two touchdowns. He was 6 of 8 with both scores in 11-on-11 periods (including 4 of 6 and the touchdowns in the red zone) and 4 of 4 in 7-on-7). The two touchdowns came on third down during the red zone period. One went to Malik Taylor and another to Tyler Conklin. He’s surgical. Honestly, watching Rodgers play is just fun. It’s rare you get a chance to see one of the 5-10 best quarterbacks to ever play on a day-in, day-out basis.

- One more on Rodgers: I've covered practices where the Jets starting quarterback didn't complete five passes (yes, really). Multiple times, actually. Rodgers has five incompletions combined over the last two practices. Five! He's 23 of 28 with three touchdowns.

- The Jets got some good news on the injury front. Guard Alijah Vera-Tucker returned to practice for the first time since his Achilles injury. The lone starter missing right now is Morgan Moses, whom Robert Saleh said is expected to return next week. I honestly can’t remember the last time the Jets had the starting five offensive linemen available to them so early in training camp. Maybe 2020, but that was the COVID year.

- One not-so great injury note: Wideout Xavier Gipson has a lower-leg issue. He’s out the next couple of weeks. That should lead to extra reps for rookie Malachi Corley, Saleh said. He still has “a long ways to go” with his route running, the coach added, so the extra reps should help.

- Left tackle Tyron Smith had a veteran rest day. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015. The Jets hope this practice structure helps that. Rookie Olu Fashanu took his place with the starters. He stonewalled defensive end Jermaine Johnson on the first rep of team drills. I didn’t notice Fashanu the rest of practice. That’s usually a good thing for offensive linemen. The only time you make note of them (without the aid of replay) is if you’re specifically watching them, or they mess up. Granted, Rodgers gets the ball out so quick you don’t even notice when they do get beat.

- Garrett Wilson continues to make plays. He had a wild catch on a deep in early in practice. He seems to be playing at a completely different speed. He’s thinking less, just doing, in his third year. Dangerous thought for opposing defenses.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Zack Rosenblatt
    @ZackBlatt

Will McDonald tried to attack Olu Fashanu using power in team drills. Fashanu won the first battle. McDonald got around him on the next play (a run) using his agility, juked around him. Then McDonald quickly/easily got around him on the third play though Aaron Rodgers threw it too quickly for a pressure/sack. #Jets

11:43 AM · Jul 26, 2024

barfolomew likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

KRL Camp Notes from Jets Nation

General Notes

- Players still in shirts and shorts

- Practice ran 1:55, I wonder if continuity on both sides of the ball (4th year
    for the defense, 2nd year on offense with Rodgers) is allowing more work/reps
    to be done in a shorter time frame. Would be a good question for the media to
    ask Robert Saleh

- Tyron Smith was given a "vet day off" and coached up Olu Fashanu when he wasn't
    riding the bike. With Smith out Fashanu took his reps with the #1's at LT

- Mike Williams is progressing in his rehab as he's now working with trainers on
    the side field

- Morgan Moses is getting closer as he was more involved/physical in positional
    drills

- Alijah Vera-Tucker was a full participant and back at his RG position

- I would say the offense won this practice as they remained fairly consistent
    throughout. Closing out practice by winning the "red zone" period and forcing
    the defense to do pushups

Special Teams Notes

- Greg Zuerlein made his first appearance of the summer and was a perfect 6/6 from
    the 30, 33, 35, 37, 45 and 55 yard line

Defense Notes

- A day where second and third level players made plays as they try to make the
    back end of the roster or practice squad:

* Michael Clemons set the edge well against the run in his reps and "tackled"
    Braelon Allen for no gain
    * Leki Fotu and Takk McKinley teamed up on a "sack" of Tyrod Taylor
    * Jaylen Key (Mr. Irrelevant) had an INT as he picked off a 30+ yard pass from
    Andrew Peasley to Marcus Riley. Showing good range as he roamed from the middle
    of the field to the sideline to make the pick
    * Jimmy Ciarlo (LB) got an INT as he snatched the ball from the hands of Kevin
    Foelsch (TE) on a 10 yard pass
    * Finally Nehemiah Shelton (CB) made a leaping INT of a Peasley pass in the end zone

Offense Notes

- Breece Hall had a couple of TD's in his reps. A 50+ yard run off a slick ball fake and
    handoff from Aaron Rodgers. And during the red zone period Hall caught a sidearm pass from
    Rodgers after he retrieved a high shotgun snap

- Irv Charles is excellent on special teams but has work to do on his hands if he wants to
    contribute at the WR spot. He had a bad drop on a 15+ yard pass from Taylor

- Jason Brownlee made an appearance today as he made multiple tight window catches from Taylor
    and Peasley in his reps

- Braelon Allen is going to be fun to watch in the RB rotation. He has the size of a LB and
    is willing to run up the middle but has very deceptive speed which allows him to get to the
    outside

QB Notes

- Another good day for Aaron Rodgers as he had multiple TDs to Hall, Malik Taylor and Tyler
    Conklin. But what was fascinating to watch was how he uses his cadence and pre-snap motion
    to decipher what the defense is doing. On one rep he did the following:

* Used a cadence change to get someone on defense to jump, that didn't work
    * He then sent the RB into motion, the LB didn't follow him indicating they were playing zone
    * Finally he sent a WR into motion, the CB followed across the formation indicating the
    secondary was in man
    * With that knowledge Rodgers then called for the snap and attacked the man coverage in the
    secondary as he zipped a 15+ yard completion to Allen Lazard

- Tyrod Taylor with a couple of nice plays on the day, a 40+ yard bomb to Malik Taylor over
    Qwantez Stiggers. And a "4th down" TD to Jeremy Ruckert during the red zone period

- Andrew Peasley continues to indicate that he could be worth investing in. Even though he
    didn't hit on his bomb attempts he showed good vertical arm strength. Peasley also showed
    decent anticipation as he threw a 20+ yard pass to Kenny Yeboah before he came out of his
    route

Standouts

- Aaron Rodgers
    - Backup defenders

barfolomew and Frenbar like this.
  8. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

What a mess.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I will be curious to see what happens with the defensive end/OLB room looks on week 1. Between the current core we already have, the undrafted free agents, and free agents we signed. I am really interested to see if Tak makes the team and is able to reignite his career

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and IDFjet like this.
  10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the camp updates.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is a big year for Breece and the Jets decision on Breece for the future. As talented as he is, he has to put together a complete season to get paid like he’s going to want to get paid.

The Jets also drafted 2x runningbacks this past season, one of which is built like a bell cow.

If there’s an odd man out between paying Sauce, Garrett Wilson and Breece, I think it’s Breece.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The nature of the RB position doesn't help, unfortunately Breece might be the most gifted of all 3. I'd hate to see him leave and put up a HOF career with another team after being held back with this one. It would be Riggins all over again.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hope it does get down to either or but if so you are right on. Breece is odd man out because of position. Garrett is a shoe in even more so than Sauce.

KY Jets Fan and barfolomew like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Going back to the previous comment, JD needs to re focus the future with Wilson, Sauce, Hall and JJ as the key pieces, and start cutting back in other areas. We need to continue to get home grown talent thru the draft and avoid high paid vets after this year under AR

NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is hard to take Connor Hughes seriously

if you are gonna report with strong opinions you can’t be that wrong about the players involved

NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Your friendly admin is here folks. I will try to egg Woody Johnson if I see him. Anything else you guys need from me? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Garrett or Sauce are here thru year 6 given a franchise tag will actually be a bargain with either of these 2. One of them has to get signed to an extension since we can't franchise both.

We're going to need cooperation from Breece and JJ. As things are heading, both of them will end up with better monetary offers as FA's if we wait until the end of their rookie contracts.

LAJet likes this.
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Geez--they all basically suck and I mean the population of journalists around the world. Just gossip mongers with agendas at this point and inaccurate far too often.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's probably telling when the thing fans know a beat reporter for the most is a feud with a player that hasn't been on the team in half a decade. Almost sounds like Manish.