2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At this point, if he chooses not show up and the issue is not resolved within reason early in training camp, I’m of the same opinion as NCJet. Tell him not to show, don’t pay an ounce of salary and try to trade him or let him rot on the couch at home for a year. All we need is him getting paid and then getting some soft tissue injury on account of zero football shape. That’s massive BS on his part.

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and onefanjet like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So then because Joe Douglas made the mistake, you would compound the mistake by playing hardball with a guy whose situation was very public knowledge in Philly, hurt your reputation with your own players and then take a wash for less compensation because you compounded the situation so you will get far less in return than you gave up.

That doesn't sound realistic or feasible. It sounds kind of childish and dumb.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Are you freaking kidding me. JD had an agreement and the player reneged on it. What was going on with Philly was discussed and agreed on a path forward and a contract signed. No mystery. It was a negotiation done in good faith by two parties. So now we are compounding a JD mistake? What exactly was that? Taking his word that he would honor the agreement.
    Childless and dumb is the players approach to this BS. He could very well have shown up to training camp if discussions are on going. JD made a mistake if an only if he is now reneging on some verbal agreements made, otherwise is all on the player.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

5. abyzmul

Please explain to me the fine details of this agreement that you are basing your entire argument on?. Because you must know more about it then the rest of us who are basing our understanding on a few anonymous blurbs in articles.

Ralebird and IDFjet like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Interesting--I go further than this and think that even if Reddick swore on his son's life it wouldn't make an iota of difference to me since JD did not position the NYJ for this eventuality--that is, to have some leverage like huge fines or such so that they would no longer be beholden to a 15mm contract.

But I do want to hear the perceptions of what guys think was the gentlemen's agreement.

abyzmul likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. The article I just attached in response to your questions says that the contract was rejected at the time of trade, while prior data said the contract was signed. So now I’m completely confused as to how was the trade consummated without a contract. Under what condition was he traded if the contract was rejected?

abyzmul and IDFjet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that JD should never have traded for Reddick. I thought that they should have kept and paid Huff.

I disagree, however that JD would compound the mistake by playing hardball. Reddick gave his word to be here for OTAs, mini-camp and TC, and wasn't true to his word. The Jets are trying to compete for the SB, they don't need this distraction. If Reddick didn't intend to do those things, he should have been honest upfront with JD, and the trade wouldn't have happened. The Jets have the leverage. He has a contract and they can fine his ass $50k a day. He's a 30-year old mercenary player who was gonna be a problem for the Eagles, lied to JD and is now a problem for the Jets. Why would any other team want to give him a big contract with lots of guaranteed money and take on that headache? I sure as hell wouldn't. He can go kick rocks. He's hurting his reputation. I don't see how you figure JD would be hurting his reputation with his players. Reddick is the one who lied or changed his mind and isn't living up to his word. The longer he holds out, the more he hurts his reputation and the less likely that he will get what he wants (unless JD caves), because other teams will know that he's likely to get hurt when he does show up, and then will get paid just for sitting on the couch on IR. I don't think any NFL GM would then give him a big contract with lots of guaranteed $s.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

One more time for the sane football fan:

This story is nothing. He's holding out. He lied to the jets about what he wanted. JD thought he would show up in good faith. He was wrong. Reddick will play. It's a contract year. Who cares of he misses practices in July. The rest of the players don't give a fuck.

CD Lamb is holding out.

Jordan Love isn't practicing without a new contract.

This shit happens ALL THE TIME in the NFL. Negative fucking people looking for any reason to bitch. Stop watching then. Reddick finishes the season with 10+ sacks. Guaranteed.

abyzmul likes this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

haha--good to hear you chime in--I don't think this side is being negative. It's a realistic analysis of the position we are in with Reddick that JD brought in on a 1 yr deal. The other guys you mention were actually drafted by that team, and have played their rookie contracts out for that team--and have already contributed more than their salary in terms of their performances and they're still under 30.

Contrast the Reddick situation where we are down a 3rd rounder and have a hold out who is 30 and never played a snap with us. The Lamb and Love situations are part of doing business, this Reddick situation is a screw up.

blackssmagic and abyzmul like this.
  11. abyzmul

Yeah I agree will all this. His contact dealings are a known. It would have been right if they had reached a deal at the time of the trade but now it's starting to look like either Reddick wants to find out if this team is the real deal or he wants a Jets-branded overpay. To his credit, Douglas didn't pull a Macc and throw a ton of money and years at him, but he did adopt the unwanted contract dispute and it will cost him having the guy at probably what amounts to half of camp. It happens all the time with teams that have expectations, the Jets just haven't had any.

Not sure I see 10 sacks though, he's gonna get injured.

12. Lon Chaney

You're right not apples to apples. But similar.

A 2026 third rounder though.

What leverage does Reddick have? The answer is none. He'll be there soon enough and ball out bc it's a contract year. Period. End of story

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Not saying that JD isn't too blame a bit here. He is. Not great optics. But What I'm saying is that this isn't a big deal. Reddick will be in camp. He has zero leverage.

**Barring injury he gets 10 sacks lol. I'm willing to bet any poster here he finishes with more sacks than huff

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You're right that he has minimal leverage if he wants to keep everything above board--however, he can feign an injury etc--I don't know what kind of a man he is. Guys here are implying he's untrustworthy etc so maybe he has the personality to get on the practice field and say he has back pain or something. Then his contract is guaranteed.

Given the total information I have thus far, it may be in the NYJ best interest to let him seek out a trade before he takes the practice field or actually cut him and take the loss of a 3rd rounder but get the cap space back.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator