2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Why would Tom Telesco want the guy that just threw Joe Douglas under the bus? Telesco's on his second team. This is it for him.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He signed an initial contract, did he not? Otherwise how is he getting paid?

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ah that "he's under contract, he should honor it" argument that flies in the face of 30 years of player holdouts. Good luck, hope that thought process someday works out for you.

4. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Add this debacle to JD's Hall of Fame induction

Ralebird and IDFjet like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So to your point agreements without signatures are not agreements but a contract with signatures is not an agreement worth honoring either. Sorry but how is that JD fault, by not reading the tea leaves that he was going to act like an asshole. He sure talked a bunch of BS at his introductory press conference then.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Shitty situation

Looks like the player lied…he knew he wasn’t going to get an increase in Philly so he said all the right things to the Jets to let the trade move forward. He probably knew all along that he was going to go this way and not show up…he just lied about it because if he’d have been honest the Jets probably don’t make that trade. Kind of a dick move for sure.

That being said…I don’t necessarily have a philosophical issue with a player “not honoring his contract” once signed unless it goes both ways. The team has the right to cut a player if he underperforms a contract, so why shouldn’t the player have a right to hold out if he overperforms?

But while that’s all fine as a philosophical debate, the practical solution is that the only part of a contract that is guaranteed are the actual guarantees.

Regardless, I think when you’re trying to trade for a player who is already holding out and squawking about a new deal, then the GM should make the trade contingent on getting the player to sign a new deal. I wasn’t in the room, but it sure feels like JD maybe should have held off on the trade pending getting Reddick to sign, or else maybe doing something like we get a pick back from Philly if he doesn’t sign or if he holds out. Something.

Maybe Philly wouldn’t have done the deal then, who knows. But they are a pretty smart team and manage their affairs well. They chose to sign Huff and let Reddick go. That’s the choice honestly that I would’ve preferred to see us make. We developed him, he’s become a very good player. I hate that we let good players walk way too often.

The better move would have been to just sign Huff.

Ah well…in the end, I’m guessing Reddick will show up and play…hopefully in training camp, but I guess it could be as late as mid season to accrue the contract year. But then he’d be jeopardizing his chances at getting some of those incentives, so I assume he’ll be here for the start of the season at the latest.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he doesn't show up, I hope the Jets call him and tell him not to bother to show up at all, that they're going to trade him elsewhere, and I hope they can and do trade him.

9. NCJetsfan

I totally agree. IMO blaming JD because Reddick lied or changed his mind is neither reasonable nor valid.

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree. It has nothing to do with "church camp." There is such a thing as a "gentleman's agreement" that has been around for a long time. Plus he does have a contract, so there is his signature on something.

If one has good character and is a man of his word then he follows through and honors his word and the agreement. Lying or changing one's mind is BS. That is someone with whom I would not do business. Eff Reddick. I hope he never plays in the NFL again.

blackssmagic and NY Jets68 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

12. NCJetsfan

Zack Rosenblatt
    @ZackBlatt

Garrett Wilson on expectations for himself: “I really just want to be part of a team that’s great and reaches its full potential. The last two years have been what they’ve been and I’m excited for another opportunity to prove myself to the world.”

KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Brook! likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Garrett Wilson said his offseason goal was to "get faster"

He watched film this offseason of all the different looks defenses have given Aaron Rodgers to know how he can best combat it

Garrett Wilson will be a top 5 WR in the league by the end of the season

Book It #Jets |… pic.twitter.com/IFrH5hYj8Y

— Harrison Glaser (@NYJetsTFMedia) July 23, 2024

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Interesting fact:

Jets had the longest active streak without a camp hold out in the NFL (Revis 2010)

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He doesn't need to read tea leaves, he needs to read the situation and not just adopt the same toxic situation that was going on in Philly. Joe Douglas has an unfortunate tendency to be taken by surprise in really obvious situations. This is one of them.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this--the worst case scenario is that he misses all of camp and then shows up to game 1 to collect his salary.

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  18. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

…and pulls a hamstring and is ineffective the entire season. :mad:

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Exactly!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Completely agree with that. 1000%

NCJetsfan likes this.