Jets reportedly tried to replace Hackett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, May 13, 2024.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Just do it my way. Kick him in his ass.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Looks like Arthur Smith was being targeted but not for a clear-cut OC job. Sounds like they'd love to fire Hackett, but are stuck with him. Is this not the most typical Jets BS you've ever seen?...

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reports the Jets interviewed Steelers OC Arthur Smith about “possibly being part of the play-calling process,” this season.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/f...erNewsId=00000190-c1f8-d37e-a7d2-effed72f0000

As we now know, Smith didn’t take the role, instead landing the offensive coordinator job with the Steelers. ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio later learned that part of the reason Smith didn’t take the job with the Jets was “because the role wasn’t clear.” On the one hand, it’s not surprising to learn that the Jets sought out an assistant for Hackett, whose struggles have been amplified since his one-and-done season as head coach of the Broncos in 2022. Hackett was brought in last season at the request of Aaron Rodgers, who has continuously stuck by the OC due to their previous relationship at Green Bay. Hackett, along with head coach Robert Saleh, both enter this season on the hot seat after any hopes of success in 2023 were dashed by Rodgers’ Achilles injury. Assuming Rodgers is healthy and playing well, Hackett should be fine. However, if things start to go awry, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Saleh turn over play-calling duties to someone else. The Jets’ first training camp practice is scheduled for July 24.

jets_fan likes this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

How this franchise can look anyone in the face and claim to be a serious is beyond me.

We're really just in this thing so that the other 31 teams have slightly better odds of winning it all.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're wondering why I voted no on the Jets winning the division, it's these IQ of 69 things that are the reason.

jets_fan and ukjetsfan like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They called and left a message... I was offshore out of cell range. Ehh probably for the best anyway....

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well either it was Arthur Smith Or Bust, the other guys didn't pick up the phone, or Smith is just the only one that thought to rub the Jets' faces in it publicly.

I guess there is also the possibility that the same leaker from the earlier Russini hit piece dished on this too.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

One of the networks or streaming services should really make a workplace comedy about the Jets. Although a straight up documentary would accomplish the same thing and generate about the same amount of laughter.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I find it odd that such a big deal is being made about Smith now. I remember reading an article months ago about the Jets looking to help/replace Hackett and Smith's name was mentioned then, and I was surprised that more wasn't made over it at the time. Now, all of a sudden, there are several articles in the media about Smith.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Smith didn’t want to be “half” OC. I don’t blame him. The Jets shoulda had balls enough to fire Hackett clean and offer Smith the full job

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Half OC sounds awful enough, but the QB is really the OC here. I would love to know how they even tried to explain or conceptualize this role. I can't believe Arthur Smith didn't accept! :rolleyes:

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The whole Smith thing is water under the bridge resurrected by the NY media for no apparent reason but to fill a void of real recent news. At this stage is a useless rehash of old news re reflecting on our more than awkward position at OC. I say OC not to be confused with play caller which will not occur as long as AR is under center.

NCJetsfan likes this.