Can they stay healthy this season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jul 15, 2024.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you think that extra training camp would make them healthier? do you think that they arent training to be in peak physical condition? far better than they can in a team setting? i will take the current method of preparation over 3 a days that they did in the 80s all day and everyday. its far more beneficial and keeps them healthier overall.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's the lack of contact that ends up causing injuries. You hear it all the time when players miss camp on the PUP or something, the first thing they say is how long it took them to adjust to the contact and those guys many times get a new injury on the back of that. Like Revis with his hamstring after the 2010 holdout.

There was a time when they were doing 3-a-days, which were very excessive and they needed to scale that back. Now camp is starting to become an afterthought. That's just as dangerous.

mezzavo and GreenFan15J like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wow - what a surprise! A "study" done ten years ago on fields, most have which have probably been changed since, proved its hypothesis. A quick scan did not even bring up the interaction between footgear and the playing surface after the very first sentence of its "Background" section. It also conveniently chose to disregard those fields using a hybrid surface by including them in the natural grass category.

If one is determined to actually discover how lower body injuries occur with regard to the playing surface how can there be no discussion or categorizing of information regarding temperature, precipitation and a myriad of other influences, not the least the vast realm of shoe types?

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

In regards to this endless turf/field debate, I’d start by looking at what they are doing in the premier league. Best looking grass I’ve ever seen.

I’ve heard they are something like 90% sand as they fill it in first and grow the grass on top that. They get cold weather there too and their fields hold up

An NFL stadium really only needs to be in playing shape 8 times all year, every surface ought to work with that little usage and plenty of time to prepare.

#24 BrowningNagle, Jul 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
    mattyd99 likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So thinking about how they can stay healthy made me start thinking about how they got stinky in the first place last season. The 4th snap was a scripted play where both tackles were assigned to cut their man at the edge. I mean, from what I remember, the cut block was made popular by the Broncos because their undersized tackles had trouble against a lot of the gigantic defensive ends at the time. It lowered the aggression level of those big boys because they didn't want to be crippled by some oversized tight end playing tackle.

So why the fuck did Hackett script a play that had two of the biggest OL in the league dropping onto their faces to throw cut blocks? Rodgers didn't even want that play in the script from what they were saying after. Hackett is beyond incompetent.

They need to just send Hackett on a 3 month vacation to Universal City and stick a CPR dummy at his desk wearing a whistle and visor. The team will stay healthier.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It'll never happen. It would be rather embarrassing for the franchise if it got out that the CPR dummy was our most competent coach.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

8. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I don't want to cause catastrophic damage to Jets players knees suddenly but I must say, at least so far, the Jets are staying healthy so far. I know Tyron Smith is not playing out of an overabundance of caution. I know Mike Carter and Xavier Gipson are going to miss a few practices but they'll be fine. Nothing season ending thus far. Jets are due to remain relatively healthy once for what seems like a lifetime.....

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the $64 million question. The turf has been changed, the health and conditioning staff fired, they brought in more youth, depth and competition. We'll see. Of course, injuries can happen to anyone, but the big concerns are basically Rodgers, Tyron Smith, Morgan Moses, Wilson, and Mike Williams. If Rodgers goes down, they can be more competitive with Tyrod Taylor, but still the season, in terms of going deep into the playoffs is probably over, unless the injury happens very late in the season and the Jets already have a playoff spot wrapped up.

Probably the 2nd biggest concern is either Tyron Smith or G. Wilson. Thankfully, if/when Tyron Smith goes down with injury (more than likely it's a matter of when, not if, since he hasn't played a full season since 2015), we have Fashanu, and he has looked good in TC. His run blocking is improving and his pass protection has been pretty solid. If G. Wilson goes down, our receiving corps takes a big hit, and I don't think there's anyone on the roster that can take his place for the routes that he runs and his ability to get open. If Mike Williams can get healthy and stay that way, it will certainly help. If Corley can come up big in his rookie season, that would help, and if Lazard can return to his level of play that he had in GB, that would definitely help, but it still would be a different offense without G. Wilson, no matter how much Conklin or Ruckert contributed. The Jets would be forced to rely more on the run and just enough passes to keep opposing Ds honest. Malike Taylor is showing some promise. He's about the same speed as Wilson, but doesn't have Wilson's hands or ability to get open, but he has shown improvement in his route running and getting open in camp. If the injury to Wilson only kept him out for a few games, the Jets could be OK, but if he misses a major chunk of the season, I think all bets are off in terms of the Jets being a playoff team or winning our division.

If Williams can't get or stay healthy, maybe some combination of Breece, Allen, Lazard, Conklin, Ruckert, and one of Gipson or Taylor could make up for Williams.

Carter Warren has been having a pretty good TC. Hopefully once Moses is fully healthy, he'll be able to return to not missing any games this season.

Hopefully, MC II's injury is minor and he'll only be out a few days. Any serious injury to any of our 3 starting CBs will have an adverse affect on our D.