Davante Adams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 12, 2024.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

We don't need Adams. Not giving up a first round pick. We also don't need to be in cap hell for the next 3 to 4 years.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

#81 AJW, Jul 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I didn't like ZW as a man but if he played well I would be happy. I guess there are some who care more about the personality (perceived) than the football contribution or at least value it higher.

I'm concerned a bit that if and when AR fumbles or has a bad game, we're going to have to sit thru endless anti-Rodgers screeds and its going to be a bitch. I really really hope we dont end up with another ZW dividing the board situation. That sucked. I guess that's a message board for ya.

#82 IDFjet, Jul 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
    NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

On a somewhat related news about WR, Williams will start training camp on the PUP list. If he remains on the PUP lest long, he might end up missing the first 4 games, so the thought of another veteran receiver to the Jets is quite a possibility.

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

As a dyed in the wool darksider, I usually agree with this type of assessment. But they've already gone far enough down the road that not doing something just because "Jets" is just being shortsighted. Not believing in them, not getting your hopes up - for sure.

They have a very small window, they need to get it done.

mezzavo, NOVAJET and LAJet like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Amen to that

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No guaranteed money left on his deal after this season. Is that true?

7. impure

impure Well-Known Member

We are all in the next 2 years..... after that we do not have a QB so we will be crap again....if you can pick up a top 5 WR.... YOU DO IT

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It looks like there's a potential out on the contract after 2024 but he's still owed a little over 7mil guaranteed. They'd have to do a new deal since the final 2 years of the deal (2025-2026) had the base salary backloaded into them for 35mil per season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/14463/davante-adams/contract/cap

If the Jets trade for him it could be a 1 year rental, so they better not be giving up more than a 3rd if they do pull the trigger.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Club Shay Shay?

"If I were to be reunited with anybody, it would be with Aaron, or be relocated anywhere, it would be with Aaron," Adams said on the Club Shay Shay podcast.

"There's a lot of stuff last year in the media with them asking ... they talk about whatever without me even being involved in it. It ended up getting all the way to the point where it got in the locker room and people was thinking that I was the driving force."

10. abyzmul

It almost feels like an eventually to me at this point. That Netflix special was pretty telling about that, too.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

As a newly baptised Darksider, I think that this kind of short-term thinking would blow up in our faces. I do not think this team is a threat to make the Super Bowl this season, but I am hoping for some entertaining play and maybe a playoff berth. What I do not want to see is the future mortgaged for short-term rentals of mercenary malcontents.

It feels like we're at a party and it's got late, and we've just been offered a bump of coke and we're thinking, 'what the hell? I'm already wasted... might as well go all-in.'

We have some hope for the future with our talented young players. Anything that sucks money away from potentially re-signing them, or takes draft capital away when we need to keep adding young talent for depth, is a bad idea. It's just not how you build a team. It's how you build a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires.

And if the Jets DO ever get to the Super Bowl, I want to think of them as the Jets, not a bunch of strangers cobbled together at mid-season, a bunch of strangers that dissipates as quickly as it came together.

I hate what Rodgers has done to this team.

NCJetsfan and GreenFan15J like this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Holy shit man--do you think Tampa Bay fans hated signing Brady? ok--go ahead and describe how AR signing is different.

Also curious to hear who you would have playing QB this season

#92 IDFjet, Jul 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    NOVAJET likes this.
  13. abyzmul

This is basically the direction of the top professional sports leagues in the US now. Mercenaries and superfriend team-ups. The NBA totally embraced it and we've been seeing it start to happen in the NFL for a while - the Rams and Bucs won Super Bowls doing it.

For a snakebitten organization that can't get out of its own way, like the Jets, it may be their only short-term hope of winning anything.

NOVAJET and The_Darksider like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

and four is not a very ambitious goal.

15. ukjetsfan

I do think that approach works more easily in a sport like basketball where you have 80 games in which to find out how to play with new teammates, as well as having the security blanket of more teams qualifying for the postseason than not. Bringing in new faces worked for the Rams and Bucs (although especially with the Rams it was more about adding the finishing touches to an already good team), but we've seen that approach fail more often than succeed.

I do take your point that it may be our only hope, because we don't seem to be able to identify and develop a QB of our own.

16. ukjetsfan

You have to judge a signing by its results, don't you? There are actually a lot of similarities between the two situations, but the results have been as different as they could possibly be.

17. abyzmul

I didn't say they were going to succeed. This is the Jets we're talking about. But it's probably their best chance.

ukjetsfan and The_Darksider like this.
  18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Anyone who's been following the team as long as we have just knows they won't.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. ukjetsfan

Fair enough, and it's better than no chance at all!

NOVAJET and abyzmul like this.
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I personally don't think that the results define the goodness of a choice but I can see where someone may see things like that. So you're saying since he got hurt game 1 last year, its been a bad choice to sign him and you haven't seen any results that justify it.

Ok--that said, who would you have at QB last year and this year given you are saving all the cap space for resigning the big-4?