Copa America Field(Metlife)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

At least you can take a piss in the new stadium without missing a game unlike the old one! As far as it being garbage, they just had a semifinal Copa game there - everyone I know who came, and it was a lot of people, had a great time. Had a Copa final a few years back, WCF is scheduled in two years. No one complains, except nostalgic Jets fans - with no real basis. The stadium is just fine - unless it pours game time.

It's not having roof and grass that's the problem. In the summer when it is warm, and they install grass for soccer games, even a temporary one, it's not a big issue. But in the fall and winter with more rain, the grass is much harder to keep pristine as we learned years ago when there was grass there. I feel like the roof and commitment to the grass, which didn't exist when they tried grass before, will completely solve this problem. Metlife is roof ready, they just need to shell out a couple of hundred millions to install it, maybe 100 mill a pop. Plus maintenance.

This is certainly a lot cheaper than literally paying several billion for a new stadium in Queens from scratch, which some are proposing, plus 200 mil on top of that for the roof there. 100 mil to add a roof to the existing one is peanuts in comparison. Fans will be happy (well not all apparently but still everyone will appreciate it when it rains during games) and players will be happy with the grass. But it does cost $, which these bastards should have invested form the get go.

#21 Borat, Jul 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that's why I said throw in money to make it big enough. It's not built yet, there's still time

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That ship has sailed. They worked for many years to approve what was approved and construction is about to start. To move the entire project of the construction of the stadium and surrounding area from 25K stadium to 80K requires monumental changes amounting to starting the whole thing from scratch. Not a chance at this stage.

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

My issues with Metlife is having no roof. Other than that I like it and I have been to many stadiums soccer NFL Baseball etc in Europe and USA.

Wish it had a roof so we wouldn't freeze to death in December and had sun burn in August and September.

Put a roof on it and I am all set.

Borat and mezzavo like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ground has not even been broken yet for the stadium. We are essentially at scratch. Its a 23 acre lot, that's plenty enough size.

they wouldn't make it 80K anyway, thats the problem with MetLife! Too cavernous and hard to sell PSLs when there's so dammed many seats its not exclusive enough. You build this thing with like 65K, that's the modern standard. See the Raiders incredible new stadium

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why should any fan care how much it costs to build a new stadium solely for the jets? Stadiums are not built with fan money (except in Green Bay).

Ans why does anyone believe grass would all of a sudden be able to thrive in a northern stadium with a roof, retractable or not?

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I remember seeing something a number of years ago that an NFL sized stadium east of CitiField would be too tall for FAA approval regarding clearance for takeoffs and approaches to LaGuardia. An appropriate stadium could be built in the big parking lot west of the ballpark - right where Shea was located.

jetophile likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Move the Jets to Boca Raton. Then I can go to games.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Move the Jets to Idaho so nobody notices them missing the playoffs.

10. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

As someone who has been involved in the process, I can tell you that the Willets Point Redevelopment plan has been finalized and there is no chance that the New York City FC stadium could be expanded to NFL size, nor is there a chance that a second larger stadium could be built in the site. It's the 25,000-seat soccer stadium, a hotel or two, a public school, and thousands of 100% affordable housing. All privately funded, including the stadium.

https://www.willetspointqueens.com/

nycarl and Brook! like this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The point is and rumor has it that since the Soccer stadium is going up it pushes the door wide open for the Jets to follow suit. No way it is part of the same venture, IMO. To me it seems more like testing, testing, 123. Plus, the park by the old World's Fair grounds is not beyond the realm of possibility.

14,000 construction jobs will aid in the development of Willets Point, which is also a good sign. Bottom line is, the Jets are free to vacate The POS Palace in 2025. The new Soccer Stadium should be completed sometime in 2025 and open in or before 2026. Sounds like Kismet.

No way there's no discussion going on as we speak. When we start hearing there are actual proposals, king me. Maybe that rube Johnson grows a real pair this time unlike getting duped into that glorified hospital waiting room 10 feet from The Old Dump. No vision at all.

I wish I still had half of the letters, lies, and bogus literature about that epic failure. "We finally have our own home!" What were those shills trying to do, insult my intelligence? And I ain't that smart, OK?

#31 jetophile, Jul 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  12. jetophile

Their own private Idaho, ha.

13. jetophile

Metjoke sucks. It was motivated by short-sighted stupidity and ill-fated greed making it that big in the first place. They dumbly thought more seats, more money, no more waiting list, etc. Now they can't give the shit away.

The fan base would've been much better served with a better design (duh). Plus, keeping it to 60K-65K with a roof would have ensured the place was pretty well-packed even in the leanest of years.

I'm all for making money hand over fist, but you can still treat your fan base well while you're doing that. The Jets FO didn't do that straight out of the gate. Oh, the chicanery. I got fed up.

After being a season ticket holder and having the tickets in my family for 55 years, I finally made the emotional and heartbreaking decision in 2018 to cut bait and I have never regretted it or looked back. I cherry pick games.

I still get pleading phone calls and emails to win me back. See how I laugh. They should have thought of that before trying to strong arm me and vaguely threaten to take my seats away in nosebleed for no reason practically every time I renewed just because I kept refusing to buy into a PSL.

The best was one was when they Fed Exed me (and 30K others who bailed, haha) a letter: WE WANT YOU BACK! I suck at sports, but I crumpled it into a ball and made a what are the odds perfect shot into the trash can from an incredible distance. It was pretty epic.

14. jetophile

And I thought I had a kooky brain. o_O

15. jetophile

Woody Johnson is never selling this team. Plus, Christopher Johnson is co-owner, which is something people always seem to forget. I don't know if it's 51% Woody, 49% Christopher, it could even be 50/50; but that is a huge obstacle.

See Wellington Mara, do you think his two infantile moron sons are ever selling the Giants? They aren't.

Anyway, the Johnsons will keep it in the family. Whoever dies first, full ownership will revert to the last man standing, and my guess is that they'll bring in one of their kids instead of an outsider.

Woody bought the team for $635 million, and it is now worth over $1.6 billion. If the jets never win another game , the compound interest alone is mind boggling. There is no incentive for him to sell, unfortunately. None.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why would they not make it 80K? The Jets were 78K attendance in average with the team missing play-offs for 13th straight year. There is certainly enough demand. The point is not that the ground is not broken. The paperwork, approvals, process to get this done takes several years. Even more than to actually build it. To change the architecture now to tripe the size, you restart the many year process from scratch. And as some already pointed out, most likely in that area something this big would not even be approved. They are set to break ground this year if not already started. It's done and dusted at this point.

17. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Funny that the ad between me and Borat is a company called Mr Liquidator.

Brook! and jetophile like this.
  18. jetophile

Because with a retractable roof the turf still gets sun? They can afford Scott's, fast growing seed, sod, Bermuda grass, or Lawn Doctor. A northern stadium, where do you live, Winnipeg? Heinz Field and Lambeau both have grass fields, lol.

19. jetophile

Yeah, I always love the cardboard cut outs they stick in the seats for TV.

Listen, I am not busting on you for enjoying your situation. It's not a pissing contest. You like the place, have at it; but the parking pass situation is also for balls, I may add.

I got solicited for a 4 game package a couple of years ago and I listened for fun. Not bad, and really good seats. I laughed in the reps face, however, that the parking pass was 1) not included at face and 2) not included above face and 3) not included at all. I was on my own. See yuhhhh!!! I will cherry pick once again, thanks.

The parking pass is always a sticking point, isn't it. The nerve of soliciting me for a package deal but I could go F myself on parking. It's such a shell game.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The tax payer would care. MetLife was privately financed but they bent the fans over with PSL’s in order to supplement not hitting the fans with a local tax, no?

The Ravens, Browns, Broncos, Bears, Packers, Eagles, Steelers and Commanders all have grass. I’m sure they could figure it out in New Jersey.