Copa America Field(Metlife)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sitting here watching REAL GRASS get played on in Metlife I can only pray like the rest of the world(NFL PLAYERS) Metlife maybe does the right thing in regards to the field and keeps it. It looks good, players want it, safety and all the other reasons. Here is to hoping. If anyone has news that they are or are not I would love to hear about it.

Cheers!

Also auto corrected Copa to Cope i assume lol

#1 Burnz, Jul 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Fck that hospital waiting room/mortuary. There are rumblings that something may be happening in Queens after 2025 when the Jets are free to leave The Roofless Shithole.

As to real grass, I do hope it happens in the meanwhile. Even the Mets baseball diamond at Shea was better than this POS Palace.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Grass field looked really good on TV. Hope they can maintain it during winter months. All these injuries for Jets and Giants make me think our injury issues might be related with the turf.

4. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Wait what? Where in Queens?

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know we've been here before but oh my god, I would love to get our own stadium.

6. jetophile

Willets Point, where all the auto chop shops are. That's what SHOULD have gone down before The New Dump Debacle and screw the Maras. It kind of sort of ALMOST did, but L. Jay Cross is an idiot of the highest order.

After Hudson Yards fell through, he tried double dealing out at Willets Point in desperation. Said idiot should have STARTED in Willets Point and not even bothered with NYC, but he's too much of an egotist and a hump. Woody Johnson also thought the area, which is full of transients, was below him and the fan base, which is dumb beyond words. Uh, jobs? Who cares if it's rife with drugs, give a homeless guy a hotdog and work it out. I'm originally FROM Flushing. I know the place.

The Maras found out that Cross was "going behind their backs", the Maras had a fit, Woody the Rube had a fit, and L. Jay Cross got his ass fired. Cross has his fingerprints all over Hudson Yards to this day, though, which is all kinds of crazy.

New York City FC Stadium (Soccer) got greenlighted and is going up. That leaves the door wide open for the New YORK Jets. This isn't an unfounded rumor.

Cross is now an official real estate mogul and is CEO of the Howard Hughes Corpration. Great for him, the fact remains he couldn't get it done for the Jets. Sheldon Silver blah blah blah, not entirely, believe it.

One of the highlights of my life was having L. Jay Cross scream at me and hang up in my face during the early stages of the PSL pitch. Leon Hess was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he did care about the fans in his half-headed way.

I ventured to say this would not be happening if Leon Hess was still alive. "LEON HESS! LEON HESS! THAT'S ALL I EVER HEAR FROM YOU PEOPLE! COME TO THE MEETING!" He slammed the phone down so hard he probably broke it. You people? Hahaha. Needless to say, I didn't go to the meeting.

I am done playing second fiddle to the NJ Giants. The New Dump was an exercise in futility from the get go. I'll never forget when Woody Johnson said, "It reminds me of the 59th Street Bridge, it has that industrial look." Yeah, if you like mortuaries. It sucks.

Whispers in the dark also has it that will have a retractable roof, which the Maras successfully got Johnson to cheap out of. Fingers crossed that this becomes a reality. Hope is for fools, but time will tell. GO JETS!

nycarl and mezzavo like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still don’t really think it’s the fact that it’s turf versus grass at MetLife. I think it’s the fact that MetLife’s turf fucking sucks.

I also don’t think it’s necessarily turf versus grass. I think part of the problem is playing on such varying different surfaces with different standards week to week.

Lastly I also think these guys use way too much tape and too many braces without injuries for games. Their joints simply don’t have enough give upon impact sometime and I think the knee tendons or Achilles tendons just snap because they’re not flexible enough to bend with the motion.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. Grass costs a lot more to maintain though than just schlepping a turf on and forgetting about it. Also, they tried it before and the biggest issue was that without the roof and with bunch of 300lb+ guys on the field when it rained hard, they would tear up the field and it was a mess. They really need to commit to the grass, let it get full roots (not just removable surface on top of turf) and get a roof, which they can close when it rains hard before or during games.

Fans would welcome it, players would welcome it, but it is going to require some investment, and maintenance costs, which these cheap owner bastards are not willing to make.

mezzavo likes this.
  9. jetophile

A roof will most likely never be retrofitted onto The New Dump . . . until after the Jets leave.

It's because of the Maras that it didn't happen in the first place, so let them foot the bill in the aftermath, those buttholes.

I'm all for playing football in the elements, but when you're in a joint venture that cost $2.6 billion, raped season ticket holders for a garbage stadium 10 feet away from the old one when they could've expanded the infrastructure of the old one for 1/3 less $ with a roof, that shithole deserves the ire it gets.

ETA: I was praying to the universe that the SB in The New Dump would be an unmitigated disaster due to the weather. As in not playable. Close, but no cigar. Oh, well, such is life.

#9 jetophile, Jul 10, 2024
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't hire a Canadian sailor to do serious business.

11. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Westside Stadium. What could have been. Sheldon fking Silver. POS.

mezzavo and sozopol like this.
  12. jetophile

He's a total POS, but yes and and no. It wasn't all him, that's a logical fallacy. In many ways, it just wasn't doable (congestion, etc). It was a failed proposal straight out of the gate, IMO.

Queens is where the Jets belong. All roads lead to Rome. I mean, Queens. There will be a ton of logistical hurdles, but it COULD happen.

I just don't want to take the #7 local, haha.

mezzavo and Ralebird like this.
  13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It won't happen. If it's something that would make complete sense, be both a win for the franchise and the fans alike, then it almost certainly means that it won't come to pass.

It would be awesome, though, if they could get out of the current stadium and finally, for the first time in decades, be the main attraction in their own building.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If the Mets owner, Cohen, could just buy the Jets too, I think for real a Queens stadium could happen. Woody should sell

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why? He's got the 9th most valuable sports franchise in the world and the last time they were in the playoffs was before RGIII won the Heisman.

Randy Savage, Liz Taylor, Jack Kevorkian, Peter Falk, Betty Ford, Andy Rooney, Joe Frazier, Heavy D and Harry Morgan - all still alive.

#15 abyzmul, Jul 10, 2024
  16. BrowningNagle

why? because he would definitely move the Jets out of Jersey

17. BrowningNagle

When’s the MLS season? They are building that stadium for the NY MLS team in queens

very timely, get out of Jersey, bring a billion(s) to make an extra seating level to what’s already being built and share a stadium with the MLS team instead of the Giants

the 9th most valuable team becomes top 3 no doubt with a brand new stadium in NY

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jets belong to New Jersey. Keep the Jets where they are. Geez.

Borat likes this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets are moving to Queens right after they win the Super Bowl this season lol

Enough with the Queens bs already. I get the nostalgia but that's all it is. The real issue as the OP states is the surface. If they can put real grass down for Copa then WTF can't they do it for the Jets home games? Makes no sense.

Borat likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That one is too small, cannot be shared with the Jets. It's soccer only.