How Bob Saleh gets his team back...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jun 13, 2024.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is stupid. You simply excuse him from minicamp. done. He was at OTAs. he’s not holding out. wtf Saleh.

The other players will understand it and a couple of important players were not practicing OTAs anyway.

Rodgers wouldn’t been at OTAs if he knew he was gonna be at minicamp.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm all about nicknames and so on. The thread title should be changed to 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back'.

The real beauty of this is that her name is Stella, which is close enough to Saleh, and her last name is Payne.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

All sunshining aside about the upcoming season, this organization has been and is an abject humiliation for a long time now. They just don't operate the way the top franchises do and for some reason the Jets ownership, FO and CS think their way is the right way. They haven't been to the playoffs in almost 15 seasons, practically twice as long of a drought as the next closest team, and they have the stones to think their way is working.

I got news for you Woody Johnson...it ain't working and never has, you schmuck! Sell the team or get a real football guy in here to make all football related decisions and build the thing the right way.

Brook!, NY Jets68 and mezzavo like this.
  4. jetophile

Gah, goddamn it.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

There are league rules that the team is required to follow regarding Rogers absence that are CBA agreed to by both sides.
    By CBA agreement, Rogers absence must be listed as unexcused even though the Jets knew in advance, because it is not injury related.
    Also by CBA agreement, player fines for unexcused absences are mandatory. Neither the Jets nor Rogers can change that.
    The bottom line is, the Jets knew in advance and were fine with it. His teammates were aware and fine with it (see Sauce's comment). Saleh botched the press conference by not simply stating the above.
    Result: unnecessary media shit storm.

Acad23, NOVAJET, Mogriffjr and 7 others like this.
  6. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Can you quote that provision of the CBA or provide a citation to it?

None of the news stories concerning Rodgers' absence has mentioned any such requirement, and I'm curious to see what the CBA says. I took a quick look through the CBA's section on minicamps and couldn't find any mention of that requirement.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Reading through this thread and others and then thinking about my own reactions to the moves that JD has made and hasn't made over the last 4-5 years makes me pause, and even laugh. Many of us make comments like JD is incompetent or the FO is a clown show, yet we turn around and say that the team is one of the most talented in the league and we think it has a strong chance to go deep into the playoffs if they don't screw it up. We can't really have it both ways. JD can't be clueless or grossly incompetent, and yet have built a powerhouse team capable of winning it all.

We're never going to agree with every move, every draft pick, every decision a GM or HC make, but at least in the GM's case, he is judged rightly or wrongly by the talent on the team and how he handles the cap. IMO it's not accurate or fair to judge him based on the W-L record, as that is up to the CS.

Yes, the GM hires the HC, but that's as much of a crap shoot as the draft. In the case of hiring a first-time HC, no one knows or can say for certain how a guy will do as HC. All a GM can do is to assess the candidates' experience, character, work ethic, philosophy, and vision, then after hiring him, get the types of players the team needs, then step back and let him (HC) do his job. One also has to remember that owners have a say in who is hired, at least they do with the Jets.

The Jets wouldn't have the potential to win a SB this season, if JD hadn't assembled the right kind of players and the level of talent that is here. GMs don't operate in a vacuum. When they want to make a trade for a player, the team that player is on has to be willing to make a trade. When a GM wants to trade up or down in the draft, he has to find a willing trade partner. When he wants to sign a FA, that player has to want to live and play in the NYC/NJ area, and his wife has a say in that as well. A GM has to balance fiscal responsibility and responsibility with assets like players and draft picks. He can't just go willy nilly after a player he covets. It's easy for us fans to sit back and complain. It's even easier for us because the Jets have disappointed us and been such a dumpster fire for so long. We have built up distrust, frustration, and anger, and in very real ways, it can be pretty impossible to please Jets fans.

JD has made some wrong moves in FA and the draft, he has had some bad luck with injuries or FA players not playing up to the level he expected of them, but the reality is he has built a team with a topnotch D and an offense with a lot of talent and potential. The offense could be more talented, and one can fairly say, it should be, but if we were to take an in-depth look at the work and record of every GM in the NFL over the last 5 years, we'd see a lot of missed picks, poor FA signings, and bad decisions, or decisions that didn't work out.

#27 NCJetsfan, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    onefanjet and SOJAZ like this.
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

2 sections before the mandatory camp section, there's a statement that players sign a participation agreement (I believe as part of contract negotiations) which requires their participation in mandatory activities. Fines for missing those activities are also stipulated in mutual agreement between NFL and NFLPA.
    In there also, is the statement that injured players are to be treated the same as they are during the season, which means no mandate, no fine.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Winning is the only way

NY Jets68 likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It is known

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion, but I doubt we're going to resolve it because the CBA is incredibly dense. (Who wrote that fuckin' thing? It makes the instruction manuals for off-shore appliances look like models of clarity).

I think your reliance on Participation Agreements may be misplaced. As a veteran player already under contract, Rodgers isn't subject to a Participation Agreement. At least, that's how I read the CBA. If that's accurate, then the Jets could have excused Rodgers if they had wanted to.

Note that Doug Pederson has excused a lot of his veteran players from minicamp just because he wanted to. That suggests teams have unlimited discretion to excuse players from minicamp and that injury isn't the only permissible basis for excusing a player.

https://www.outkick.com/sports/jaguars-continue-taking-very-different-approach-mandatory-minicamp

#31 Since1969, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

,,,which rhymes with Wayne, who was a real Huizenga! You bet there's trouble right here in River City! (with apologies to Meredith Willson)

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

JD and Saleh have hitched a ride with Rodgers. They are all in with Rodgers to compete for a championship. If this experiment is a failure and they both get canned, they will both end up on other teams. They don't have much to lose with this strategy because I'm confident they are both highly regarded throughout the league.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Saleh is a horrible hc, and the firing of Hackass or doing anything else could possibly make him a good hc.

15. jetophile

Too complicated. I meant PAIN.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What gives you the idea that the captain and first mate of a franchise with such a record of abysmal failure are highly regarded by their peers?

mezzavo and Since1969 like this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. If anything, they've completely exposed their incompetence to the rest of the league.

They have, however, set themselves up for lucrative consulting gigs with other teams in the future. Bring them in, ask what they'd do in any given situation, and then do the exact opposite.

Since1969 likes this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

JD is a coveted GM and Saleh is known for his success with defense.

19. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Agreed! Saleh "might" make it back as a weight lifting coach but that's about it. JD's track record is pretty bad as well. His entire tenure the team has needed an offensive line and a QB and, as of this moment in time the team STILL needs both. Rodgers simply isn't the answer and we'll see what the new youngster looks like but, based on history, it won't be special. I'd settle for average.

Either way neither is much of anything and I simply don't see a bunch of people lining up to hire either of them. Then again, what do I know...

jets_fan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that JD is highly regarded, and believe that he would get another FO job, although perhaps not as GM. I think Saleh would probably get a DC job somewhere, but I don't think he'd be hired as a HC again any time soon.

dmw likes this.