Should NYJ make a move for Stephon Gilmore?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IDFjet, Jun 15, 2024.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If NYJ cuts DJ Reed they gain 11mm in cap. Gilmore would probably take 6. We're going to lose Reed next year anyway. Although Reed had a better 2023 PDF (77 vs 74). Just something to consider.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think so but I thought they should’ve moved on from Reed and moved MC3 to the outside. Reed got torched last year after a very good year one with us. MC3 has been the best slot corner in the league since he got here basically and I think he has the skill set to move outside.

The Jets don’t understand cap resource/asset management though so here we are.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

What don't u like--for 1 year, at 5mm less isn't Gilmore > Reed?

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

7 year age gap? Gilmore has been good as he’s gotten older and become a mercenary but mercenaries never work out for the Jets. If you’re giving me a 1:1 Gilmore to Reed I’d just stick with Reed.

Gilmore is also a man to man corner, not a cover 3 guy.

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Reed gets torched by good WRs all the time.

IDFjet likes this.
  6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

NO! The NY Jets need to figure some bullshit out before they bring another asshole to add to the confusion.

IDFjet likes this.
  7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Gilmore is 33. I'd rather just extend Reed. I have doubts about Gilmore outperforming Reed this year, but you never know.

I get the money situation, but he'd be a 1 year rental with a foot already out the door into retirement. I think the Jets' cornerback unit is fine and they do have youth waiting in the wings.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like Gilmore but I don't think its smart to have two "grabby" corners in Gardner and Gilmore. Opposing offenses would take advantage of the PI calls too much. Reed is probably paid too much but I think hes the type of CB you want on the other side of Gardner.

NY Jets68 and IDFjet like this.
  9. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

That's normal for a #2 corner. I think this year they are going to play more man to man, so Sauce will mirror good WRs, while Ed Reed helps on the #2.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think cutting DJ Reed is realistic as his dead cap number is over 9mil according to Spotrac, so they pushed guaranteed money into the last year. Either they would need to find a trade partner to eat some of that number or they will be stuck with him in 2024 which I think they are planning to happen. I don't see that much of an upgrade with Gilmore at the price he will probably command. I'm with Vilma, start MC2.

ouchy likes this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So here I go with the nicknames. Happy Gilmore.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If the cut comes with a post June 1 designation its reduced to under 5 deadcap according to OTC. Also according to OTC there is no guaranteed money this year or next. I agree that if either of these data points are inaccurate, then the argument needs to be revisited.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree that an extending Reed at a reasonable cost could be superior option. Then the 1 year comp is moot.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree DJ's play went down especially in the last half of 2023 and probably across the whole year. I don't think that's really open to debate. You and the rest of us are hoping he doesn't fall further or can recapture 2022. The comp is then what's the probability Gilmore outplays him at 5mm less per year for this one 2024 season.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Things to consider: Maybe every corner not named Sauce Gardener gets torched by good WRs all the time. Also, other teams put their best corner on the other team's best WR, unlike the Jets. So Reed gets stuck covering the other team's best WR when Sauce should be taking on that burden.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If we have money to sign Gilmore, we better be using that money to sign a legit WR threat, OL depth, or another point scoring weapon of some type. Not a 33yo has been. We have a defensive coaching staff and a shit ton of stars on defense. DJ Reed is a more than capable #2, deal with it.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No chance I'm resigning Reed. You sign Sauce and MC2 and hopefully you can get an outside guy from Stiggers or Echols. They showed us during the Eagles game they can coach up the DBs. Let them do it.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like having Carter in the slot

IDFjet likes this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Reed was fine last year IMO.

I would like to see MC2 signed and possibly moved to outside, see if Stiggers can play/if he’s the real deal.

20. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Antonio Cromartie
    Bart Scott
    Ladanian Tomlinson
    Chris Johnson
    Jason Taylor

Had at least 1 good season for the Jets each. That's just off the top of my head.