2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think receivers have been overvalued though. Look at what the acquisitions of Tyreek, AJ Brown, and Diggs himself have meant to elevating their young QB’s that were seemingly on the verge of breaking out or going the opposite direction to bust.

I think it was a sound decision to cut bait with Diggs. You’re diminishing him as a player especially given how easily he picks apart zones but they are hedging he’s about to hit the receiver wall. Even if he has one more good year, they’re probably making the right long term decision.

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Besides the obvious CAP issues, my guess is the Bills saw a WR heavy draft and figured they could get Diggs' production with one or two guys that will come in at less than 10% of what Diggs costs...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Haha yeah if it was only that easy

Curtis Samuel has to stay healthy (big question), he has to fight through double teams (bigger question) and get open.

there’s a reason why Buffalo gave Diggs 160 targets. He was able to do those 3 things

Good luck trying that with Curtis Samuel

4. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Putting Diggs in the same on field impact category alone as a Tyreek Hill is overvaluing in it's own right imo. Diggs isn't on Tyreek's level, and certainly wasn't anywhere even remortely close the last 2/3 of the 2023 season when he was no showing a fair share of big play moments in Buffalo.

Hurts had/has a lot more going into that success equation then just adding AJ. The Josh Allen emergence was also always going to happen as well. If it wasn't Diggs it of just been somebody else given that same elevation opportunity he was, and which you can be dang sure is going to be predicted as such when it comes time to try and snatch up Kincaid in this year's fantasy drafts :)

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Bleacher report has us as a top destination for Sutton. I absolutely love Sutton as a player but I thought that dream died with the Mike Williams signing. Cap #s don't seem right either but I figured I could break up the monotone of the draft discussions.
    bleacherreport.com/articles/10118

7. Kronoking

Well, OBJ off the board. Kinda the vet FA WR add I figured would have been making the most sense for us to try and squeeze in under the cap. For me OBJ > MVS. Appears he might have had a higher signing price market then I was figuring he would though, and which might have come in to play.

Probably a hard sell to convince a guy he'd be better off playing in an offense here over the exciting stuff McDaniel has going on down in Miami too I guess.

8. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I would still like Sutton especially since MW is on a one year prove it deal and banged up

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Obj hasn't done much in years and will be 32. No big loss at this point.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Not sure what your hard on is for OBJ. Lazard sucks and was an awful signing with a bad contract, but they produced about the same last year.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And only one of them was kicked off an airplane drunk.

Nyjets4eva and stinkyB like this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

OBJ has been washed for years. Glad he went to Miami

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the only reason the Jets ever had any interest in him is because Rodgers wanted him. I certainly didn't want him signing with the Jets. I'm glad that he's gonna be with Miami.

14. Kronoking

We need a cheap vet WR and I assume we will be signing somebody. He's as best value bet as any other option that is going to be available to us. The appeal there for me is really that simple.

I think anybody having a hard on for Courtland Sutton while pretending it's still 2019 is much more questionable. Especially when OBJ on a per-opportunity basis was arguably the better WR last year and would come at a 1/6th of the guaranteed $$ cost for 2024.

Sutton looked more "washed" within his team leading targets last year then OBJ did as a role player contributor in Baltimore imo. We just so happen to conveniently need that kind of role player this year too.

Now it'll likely be MVS :(

15. Jonathan_Vilma

[​IMG]

Nyjets4eva and Donttasemebro like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

The following isn't really about FA news, but I thought posters would find it interesting, and most wouldn't see it if it was down in the draft forum. From The Jets Way:

17. NCJetsfan

Albert Breer believes that the Jets were actually targeting Adonai Mitchell as their wide receiver: "And once [Olu] Fashanu was aboard, their attention turned to a receiver. Similarly, that call came down to a few guys. The Jets actually liked Texas's Adonai Mitchell, but got focused on the best run-after-catch guys they could find in range of their second pick at 72," he wrote.

18. BrowningNagle

I disagree. Look he's not the OBJ of 2015, of course, and never will be again. But he's still extremely effective at doing what he does best. For example. I think he's one still one of the very best in the entire league at running the slant route.

So you bring him in, don't try to make him something he's not, keep a limited route tree. Just let the man run that slant and catch the ball on the run and he's going to be a hell of a pickup. That route and the others that he's good at, also happen to be very QB friendly.

Miami got him for $3million, you kidding me, OK incentives up to $8 mil? I bet they would be happy if he reaches those incentives. What a good move for them and I hate the stinky fish

Kronoking likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

We see the very same report every single year in the Douglas era. "The Jets landed their top target in the draft! Sources tell me they never really had interest in [insert name of player(s) they didn't select]."

Joe Douglas has some real friends in the media

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets definitely definitely definitely weren't interested in Broderick Jones after Joe Douglas got bitch-slapped by Belichick in the 2023 draft.

stinkyB likes this.