In 17 games, Sauce, Garrett, and Jermaine will be....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 1, 2024.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

In 17 games, Sauce, Garrett, and Jermaine will be up for Joe Douglas to go thumbs up or thumbs down on their 5th yr. Before their 4th season even starts, it's decision time.

Alijah Vera-Tucker started out as a no-brainer to pick up his 5th (which JD just did). But AVT's injuries over the last 2 seasons made it a much harder decision than it had to be. In the end, he got his 5th yr, but it was close.

What about the other 3? 100% Yes? It's hard to imagine a situation where one of these guys fall out of favor. A serious injury during this season or something bad off-field, or maybe failing a steroid drug test seems to be the only reason. Salary cap may be the other...picking up all 3 5th yr options is gonna cost a ton. Sauce, with his two pro-bowl selections, his 5th yr will equal the Franchise Tag number. Ouch!

I know it's a bit early, but what do you think Joe Douglas will be looking for? As far as the 5th yr option goes, this is almost like a contract year for all three.

I really hope all three continue to play great, and Joe finds the dough to re-up all 3 of them. But I'm nervous...

Jojo likes this.
  2. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Yes to all 3.

SOJAZ and Jojo like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to extend Sauce and Garrett asap--I'd watch this season for JJ

Jojo, JetFanInNE and Footballgod214 like this.
  4. Footballgod214

It's gonna be really fun watching Garett with AR under center. Even with ZW, he did really good, now it's time to turn it up!

Of the 3, Garrett Wilson is most likely still on the team in 5 years. Sauce could be tagged and traded. His 5th yr will cost over $20m. If Jermaine continues to go crazy, he could get tagged too! His 5th yr could be in the 20's as well. But Garrett is one player I think JD will make happen, no matter what.

Jojo likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What about Breece Hall? You make no mention of him.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sauce is going to be expensive as shit, I don't know whether it makes more sense to sign him early or just bite that 5th year and push the payday off.

All 3 positions are premium salaries in the NFL.

Red Menace and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Breece - Top 3 RB
    Sauce - Top 3 CB
    G.Wilson - Top 10 WR
    JJ - Good potential but need to see more

What a nice problem to have. Sign all these guys to long term deals early

8. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

he was not a first rd pick

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are right, Sauce is going to command top dollar. I'm not sure that's the best decision, it might make more sense to just pick up his 5th year option and start thinking about a future without him when the time comes

Garrett Wilson though, I'd sign him to a long term extension as soon as possible. It is rare to find a reciever at his level that's got a good head on his shoulders

I like Jermaine Johnson too. I think he's a long term piece

Jets69 and abyzmul like this.
  10. Footballgod214

I think Breece was 2nd round so no 5th yr for him. He'll probably get his 2nd contract before the other 3, my guess

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

All 3 of course, no brainer really. When we do need to sign Sauce he will probably be north of 30mill a year. 20 for the option is a steal.

12. Footballgod214

ya, sauce will be the most expensive by far. With his 2 probowls, his 5th yr is equal to the Franchise Tag, which is in the 20s. Could be closer to 25 in a few years when his 5th is due. Add that to Quinnen's cap and to what Jermaine Johnson will command and that's a ton of dough on the D side.

Our only hope really is if AR is completely off the books by 2026, and Jets return to a rookie QB salary.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Hopefully this is the plan, I hope we draft another QB next year as well. That way when Tyrod is a FA next year we have 2 rookies waiting in the wings to compete for the backup and eventual starting position when Rodgers leaves.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be the smart move. Lock Breece down for 3 more years.
    Then try to extend Sauce then Garrett before having to tag one. Ride JJ as the longest if they have to though JD seems to have a penchant for extending D linemen early.

Footballgod214 and stinkyB like this.
  15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

It's early. But we see around the league how RB's are handled. I expect an issue eventually with Breece. Look across the parking lot at Saquon.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's why they need to start now.... but he put on some miles in college, so I'm sure that also played a factor in this years draft

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

This is a topic we're all wondering about. But I can't be the only one here also thinking of the irony of the Jets possibly dismantling the "Dynasty that never was" after AR hangs it up. After all, have any of our guys mentioned here really done anything yet?

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Exactly. That there are more than one of then makes it easy. Sign them all early at discounts, so even if one of them flops, you still come out ahead. Like an insurance company selling insurance.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Also 2 of those guys are on defense and 2 on offense. Let them stay together and be the team leaders after Rodgers is gone. Keep those 4 together no matter what

Jets79, HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Top level CB’s that stayed with one team throughout their career…..

1………..

Tumbleweeds

You draft elite CB’s, or you sign mercenaries when you actually need one if you’re a SB contender. Who knows, maybe we’ll bring Sauce back someday, but unless we’re serious long term SB contenders by then (meaning we have a clear cut long term elite QB), there’s no sense in dumping hundreds of millions to Sauce.

Red Menace likes this.