Preemptive "I Told You So" - Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The_Darksider, Apr 25, 2024.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

As we post on Sat. the Jets have top 10 talent. Joe Douglas has put together a good roster. Last year they were ready to improve but disaster after 4 plays ended it. Now if they can stay reasonably healthy they should be ready to contend. It’s up to the players to perform on the field. The GM has done his job and the coaches will do theirs. Looking forward to it. Nothing more to say.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Are you penciling this draft class in as guaranteed starters or strong contributors this season? Fingers crossed.

The WR depth isn’t great. TE and OL performance are question marks in my opinion. The QB is a little out there and we don’t know what a year off may have done to him. If he goes down the team doesn’t have an OC. The HC’s offense drew comparisons to Gases and was worse in some respects last season.

The roster has some very good players but there are plenty of things to be concerned about heading into this season. Things that have JD’s fingerprints all over them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see more OL depth … was happy with the Olu pick but our OL is so poor that I feel the more competition there the better.

I like the receiver pick but also would have loved to add another receiver as well.

I like one RB especially as a power back, not sure I understand taking 2 RBs

I’ve been down on a “developmental QB” as we’ve never been able to do that, but hard not to root for the kid. Most likely he won’t ever pan out as a starter but if he can become a decent backup that’s not terrible, especially for a 5th round pick

I don’t love the returns we got on the drop down with GB nor the return for JFM…those trades feel like we got fleeced to me.

Overall, if we were going to double dip, I would much have preferred that to be on OL and/or WR. I also would have liked a S and a DT

But I do like the first 3 picks

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Draft class are backups. Sign of a good team. Everything could go wrong but no team has it all. Last year besides Rodger’s Joe Burroiw went down. This year it could be Allen or Mahoney. Are you a fan.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

REVISion and Trainer like this.
  6. Sundayjack

Draft is over and it no longer matters. But I’d like to see the game video that shows that. Because I looked for it and didn’t.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Are you a hornblower.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I liked your post up until when you started saying “ coaches will do theirs “ So you have confidence this CS won’t blow it? Frankly the best part of AR is that he can take over the huddle..just take a look at last years play calling ugh

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Jets81 like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Holy shit, he even used my "law of averages" line. I agree with every word he spoke. (about Oline)

Trainer likes this.
  10. Sundayjack

Crazy isn’t it? I was pretty impressed he could rattle all that off the top of his head. Except, packaging everything in a coherent sound bite like that made it sound even worse than I thought it was.

Trainer likes this.
  11. abyzmul

30 offensive linemen, 3 first rounders and a second rounder, 175-200mil in free agent money over that course on the Oline.

#71 abyzmul, Apr 28, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’d be odd if someone did.

Some of us have been screaming about rebuilding the OL for years, maybe close to a decade now. The numbers Mangini threw out there are more damning than drafting one of the worst QB’s (statistically, at least) of all time #2 overall. He’ll be linked to that pick but the OL disaster is the actual reason the Jets have been trash during his tenure.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep.. compare the future Joe Douglas legacy to Macagnan.Thats a close call there lmao
    Well maybe there’s a miracle SB run this season to make up for the mess

Jets81 likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s the interesting part. For the disasters that his QB/OL moves have been, if things break right this season the Jets can compete.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Agree 1000%, Mangini makes great points; which begs the question why such a dysfunctional o-line?Lack of superb O-line coaching? A youth makeover? I mean, what fixes this?

17. abyzmul

Lack of leadership with a true vision feels about right.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I liked Fuaga as well, but I'm guessing they just saw him as a RT.

20. Sundayjack

Great, a clip of highlights. Those are fun. But did you watch it? Better still, have you watched him for a full game, so you see both high AND lowlights? There’s only one 2023 complete game replay that I could find. Certainly doesn’t show him “wiping out D-linemen all over the field”. His highlight clips don’t either. I’ll repeat what I posted elsewhere - he shows up as an good, athletic right tackle who moves well, attacks in the run game, wins most of his blocking engagements, but doesn’t dominate anyone. The game I watched also shows the only OSU lineman with two false starts, but we’ll look past those.