Welcome to the Jets Jordan Travis (QB)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Has ability, but needs a lot of work. A definite project

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Another guy the Jets liked and were bringing in last year was Tim Demorat, Fordham - 56 tds...

but last minute, he instead signed with the Commanders.

Was said to have flashed in camp and they ended up giving him a 3 year contract but ultimately kept Jake Fromm and released him.

Maybe worth bringing him in as a camp arm vs the remaining URFA options left.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

A friend of mine was/is talking up Darren Grainger (undrafted/Georgia State). What do I know from these things.

Anyway, yippee! I get to drag this out of the vault.

[​IMG]

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If he performed in play-offs I could see him rise up, but he could have also not done so good there, we will never know. But I doubt the injury impacted him THAT much. This is not one of these career altering. Dak had one a few years back and signed a huge deal that same offseason. This is not as bad as ACL, which had high reoccurrence rate, and he did finish 5th in Heisman voting. With all that said, I like the pick, worth a dart throw in a 5th. I am not sure about medicals, but there is a high probability he will start the year on IR, freeing up a roster spot for us and maybe even stay the whole year on IR, like Hendon Hooker did, which is absolutely fine as this should be a red shirt year for him anyway.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think he could play some this season. The Jets have had 4 different QBs see the field in each of Robert Saleh's 3 seasons as HC. And as of today Jordan Travis is not the 4th QB but the 3rd QB. With 2 old/injury prone QBs ahead of him.

Seems more likely than not that he sees the field.Unless they decide he's not ready and bring in another JAG like Siemen, its a long season....

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So how is this an upgrade over Zach? At least Zach had shown some improvement in these areas, can Travis? And if the Jets couldn't help Zach achieve his potential, how are they going to help this kid with the same CS? I'll even go so far as saying that on paper, Travis seems to be made of much sterner stuff than Zach, but if the surrounding system doesn't improve drastically, that's not going to matter.

Kronoking likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Keep fighting the good fight!

Jordan Travis played under the spotlights for one of the best college football programs in the country and was an injury away from leading his team to the college football playoffs, potentially the championship game. The concern a lot of people had about Zach and him only showing he can play against subpar competition is erased. You're also comparing Zach Wilson in his fourth year to a kid that hasn't even signed his NFL contract yet, otherwise I don't know why you're asking if this is an upgrade over Zach. You kinda answered your own question... Travis is made of much sterner stuff than Zach. There is 0 character or work ethic concerns like the ones that developed over time here.

This is apples and oranges. They aren't the same prospect and they are in two completely different situations. Zach shouldn't be talked about in relation to 2024 because there's no legitimate way for him to be relevant in any conversation.

#67 BroadwayAaron, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    jjt4201 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jordan Travis is willing to be the 3rd string QB, Zach Wilson wasn’t. That’s why he’s an upgrade, he simply wants the job

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

U obviously never saw Joe at Alabama,,,he was mobile before his injuries and was the 1st to throw 4k yards when they played like 12 or 14 games....

CC.. no offense but can you please give it a rest with ZW. He is gone, we have new QBs and until we see this kid in action (NFL) any comparision to anyone is just ludicrous.

#69 SOJAZ, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I'm not going to re-litigate the Zach Wilson saga, but I do think it's fair to ask how are the Jets going to overcome these problems areas for Travis? Maybe this kid is so tough and strong willed that he can overcome the absolute neglect of the Jets "development" ability, and I sure hope he can, but I just don't see it. Further, how does he fit into the apparent style of offense they seem to want to play? Of course if they actually decided to change their offense to fit his skill set I'd be pleasantly gob smacked.

And let me be clear, usually I'm all for taking shots at QBs, especially in the mid-late rounds, but that was before I was disabused of this idea by repeated failures by the Jets to identify and develop QB talent. If he works out, great, it'll be the first time in their history, so color me highly skeptical until it does.

mezzavo likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

It's not about Zach, it's about the fact that the Jets couldn't help him overcome these same shortcomings. And yes, different player, and that might make all the difference - I hope so - but until the Jets show me they can develop a QB I'm not convinced.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

We drafted a guy with a cannon the last time and that didn't exactly work out well.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The problem is you are pinning all of Zach’s developmental failures on the franchise. No doubt they played a role but I think to most people it’s obvious that Zach is not an NFL quarterback. The circumstances are also very different. Starting right away versus sitting for at least a year, probably more learning from one of the all-time grades and one of the most respected veteran quarterbacks in the league backing him up. There’s no comparison to be made and we shouldn’t be looking at Zach Wilson, the failure, has any kind of indicator of how Jordan Travis will or will develop.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where did I say that this was an upgrade over Zach? The truth is, I didn't say that. I just posted some information on Travis, so that those who don't follow college football would know a little about him.

I've said numerous times that I thought drafting a QB would be a wasted pick because the Jets have proven that they don't have a clue how to develop a QB.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Namath, a marginal QB, AT BEST! :rolleyes:o_O:eek:

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Oh come on now…you’re going to compare a 5th round pick to a guy 4 years into his career who was the 2nd overall pick?

I’ll give you one way he’s an upgrade…he’s not costing us $5M (or even the $2.5M we had to pick up just to move his worthless ass).

From all of your posts, you seem to put most of the blame for Zach’s failure on the Jets staff, or at least a large part of it. And while I agree that our staff absolutely SUCKS at developing QBs (which is why I wasn’t really thrilled at this pick only because I don’t think we can develop him), it feels like most people here, or I guess I should really just speak for myself here, it feels like I place more of the blame on Zach himself. Yes our staff sucked, but damn, I watched WAY too many fucking throws in the dirt or 10 feet over a receivers head or 4 feet behind a receiver to say it’s just our staff. I think he sucks. He’s inaccurate, he doesn’t see the field at all, and he can’t process progressions or defenses fast enough. He’s terrible. He was a bottom rated QB each year, and to me, that rating was valid and well earned.

But we’ll see…if Sean Payton can develop Zach into a quality starter, then you’ll be vindicated! I know I at least will be watching to see how it goes with him. I do think both he and Darnold got no fucking favors from us…in terms of coaching, OL, WR, etc. They were for sure not set up to succeed. That being said, Darnold hasn’t proven much either in Carolina or in SF (where he did have a great offensive HC who let him go), so we’ll see what happens in Minnesota. We’ll see if Zach can prove anything in Denver.

But your comparison to me feels totally invalid.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

meh...

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Well ... then obviously we should stop drafting QBs with good arms.

19. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

OR......OR!!!! Maybe not draft quarterbacks who ONLY have good arms!

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He is not an upgrade over Zach this year. There is a strong likelihood he will spend a big part of the year if not all of it on IR. But I think this pick is not about this year, but 2025 and beyond. We still have 3 years under Travis' rookie contract after this year, and he will get a chance to be a contributor, while Zach's rookie contract is over. As far as developing a QB, I really think having a red shirt season and Aaron will definitely help a rookie. They added a real back-up QB in case Aaron is hurt, something Zach never had. Then in the second year, we have a building block on OL in Olu, Tipp (expected to improve in his 3d year), and AVT, though we have to hope he stays healthy. This is more than Zach has ever had.

You are right though, until proven otherwise, it is hard to trust these guys. But I do see aforementioned improvements over what Zach had, and maybe Travis will at least get a fair shot. I certainly hope so. Though to be fair, Travis is no where near the same prospect Zach was, and it would have been nice to have a better prospect get these opportunities, but ... it's a start.