Just Don't Want Bowers

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

He’s not a tight end. He’s a multiple option player,” said ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., who ranked Bowers as the seventh-best player in the draft. “You can put him in the backfield, slot, wing, outside, any which way, fullback, H-back. You can do anything you want with Brock Bowers. So he is not a tight end, he’s just an offensive weapon.”

Whenever a guy comes out of college and the "experts" say something like this that the guy has no true role and is a "offensive weapon" or a "hybrid defensive weapon" they never seem to pan out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I kinda wish I watched ESPN for Nick Saban’s thoughts. Seems so far like he’s not looking to just occupy a chair. Saban shares my only-mostly-nonhomo Big Manlove for Brock Bowers:
    • One of only three players Alabama had difficulty with the last few years: Jayden Daniels, Malik Nabers and Bowers.
    • Most NFL-ready player in this draft
    • “Brock Bowers is a guy who’s a mismatch player at tight end. He’s a great receiver as an H-back, good enough blocker. I think he’s going to be lightning in the NFL.”
    I want to say again - I don’t 100% hate Olu Fashanu. I just think we passed on something special in favor of depth at tackle. A future starter, but today - depth. Not the kinda stuff that gives a fanbase goosebumps.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Exactly.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Like you said in another thread, a big part of the gut punch was that the draft shaped up perfectly for us to take Bowers. When Goodell walked up to the podium to announce our pick, I fully expected to hear a "Brrr" sound come out of his mouth. Oh well.

Sundayjack likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If it had been Bowers, it might not actually have started with a Brrrr. Between muscle relaxants and scotch, ol Roger was having some fun navigating his ability to communicate last night.

BacktoQueens and REVISion like this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I noticed that too, he sounded drunk lol. Guess it was the pain killers from the surgery?

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Projecting draft picks talent on Day 1 is comical. Nothing wrong with it just not reality.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I am happy with who we got too

9. boozer32

That is perfectly ok. Great receivers and tight ends have had drops. But we didn't waste a first round pick on them. So the scouting worked.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah there’s definitely something to this.

Positions like OG, TE, DT, S, and non-pass rushing LBs are just not as valuable or pivotal as other positions like OT, WR, QB, pass rusher, etc.

That’s why few of those positions are game-changing or game impacting type guys. You almost have to be Aaron Donald or Travis Kelce to make an impact. For us, Quinnen is in that conversation…not saying he’s Donald but he’s on his way there. Outside of a select few guys in those spots, they are not impactful and therefore they don’t get drafted as high or paid as much as other spots.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  11. boozer32

Yep just an ordinary run of the mill tight end. You can find one of those in the Arena league everyday and twice on Sunday.

12. boozer32

Blewett has lived up to his name multiple times. I would rather listen to Joe Douglas or a dart board.

13. boozer32

Because the scouts always get it wrong. Let me know if you want a 50-year history of Jets draft picks hyped up to the moon only to flop big time. Believe me, I don't even need the internet for that history lesson.

14. boozer32

Thousands of people have got prospects wrong. It's not evolution. Have you heard of Ryan Leaf? Jeff George? Lawrence Phillips? How bout these gems in the first round? Stop me when you see a Hall of Famer. Robert Gallery, Blair Thomas one of our own. Tom Cousineau, Jack Thompson the Throwing Samaon. Johnny Lam Jones. Just let me know if you need any more references.

15. boozer32

How many references do you need for prospects that were special but flopped? The scouts and GMs have a long history of getting it wrong constantly and even more so with the Jets.

16. boozer32

It's called draft day hype. Hundreds of draft picks were overhyped and flopped in the NFL. The Jets have had a ton of them.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is the first time I've seen a troll respond more than everyone else.

Sundayjack, Poeman and Trainer like this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

For real, he was so triggered he decided instead of starting a list of bullet points or a new paragraph he figured it'll be wiser and more impactful to quote my post 4 times with a response.

Baller status

abyzmul likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only one in recent memory that was touted like this was McCaffery, and he wasn't billed as "Can do everything".

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m officially done talking about Brock Bowers. First, because he was drafted by the Raiders. But probably more because it’s pretty goddamn clear that the loudest Bowers critics never watched him. There’s really only one metric you can fairly use as an objective negative. i won’t name it here because I shouldn’t have to do anyone else’s homework for them. Everything else is a bald leap. Those who advocated for Bowers at least had three years of dominant production and the only back to back Mackey Awards to prove it. It’s still a leap to say he’ll succeed in the NFL. It’s just something more than misty hot air blowing from a puckered rectum.