How Do You Think the Backup LT Should Be Handled?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2024.

?

What should the Jets do to secure a backup for Tyron Smith

1. Sign David Bakhtiari

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Re-Sign Becton

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Sign Charles Leno, Jr.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sign Donovan Smith

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Stay at #10 and draft one of Fautanu, Mims and Latham

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Trade down and take one of Fautanu, Mims, Latham, and Guyton

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Trade down and take one of Jordan Morgan and Graham Barton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Trade down, acquire a 2nd round pick, draft one of Paul, Suamataia and Amegadjie in 2nd round

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How do you think the backup LT position should be addressed? Do you favor signing a veteran FA and then using the Jets' 1st round pick on Bowers or a WR, or drafting an LT? Would you draft a developmental LT who may or may not be ready to play this season at a high level, but whom could learn from Smith and Moses this season, and be ready to start and play at a high level next season?

If you favor drafting an LT, would you trade down to try to add a 2nd round pick or would you take one at #10?

If you traded down an acquired a 2nd round pick, who would you take in the 1st round and who in the 2nd round? Would you consider drafting either Graham Barton or Jordan Morgan who were good LTs in college, but are considered to have too short arms to play OT in the NFL, using them as the backup LT this season or if one of the OGs goes down with injury, and then using him as an OG in future seasons?

EDIT: I just noticed that I inadvertently typed Fautanu rather than Fashanu in the 5th option in the poll. Please make note of that.

#1 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Sign Bakhtiari, develop Carter Warren (who has put some good stuff on tape) behind two of the best LTs of the last 15 years. Play Bakhtiari when needed, then Warren when/if needed.

TwoHeadedMonster and coloradojet like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Great post …. If I’m JD I’m trading down a few spots - but not too far - and trying to pick up a second rounder. There will be plenty of OTs available at #10 so I’m guessing there should be a couple left a few spots down. This is where JD’s supposed OL intuition kicks in right? The Jets need to hit on an OT first and foremost. If the Jets had more draft capital I wouldn’t mind seeing them trade up in front of TN to nab Alt that’s how good I think he’ll be. However the smart play for 2024 is to trade down and grab one of the next best OTs.

This should be a dominant offensive class for the Jets - namely OL, a WR, and perhaps a developmental QB. The smart play would be to draft replacements going forward for all of the FA signees with the one year deals. Or at least most. More efficient and cheaper over the long haul.

I hope the scouts are doing their homework…

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I still think they should sign Bahktiari and trade down if possible and take the one of the more “unpolished” T prospects to sit and learn while grabbing Pearsall or Polk in r2 and can address IDL in r3

AtlantaJet likes this.
  5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Draft em in first or second round. I think they go BPA on offense in round 1 and if it's a tackle then so be it. That means you aren't just drafting a backup, but for the future of the position as well.

I like the idea of trading down, but not sure if it will be enough to get back a 2nd rounder without moving way down. I'd rather take a small step and get a 3rd rounder back so you still have good options on the table.

Of course it depends who is there at 10. Top 2 Tackle, or top 4 pass catcher, I'm doing it.

#5 Jets OG fan, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It depends how the draft falls, who's available at 10, if trade downs are available, etc. There's no one way to do it. In general, I would say drafting one in the 1st or drafting one in the 3rd coupled with a veteran swing tackle. Trading down to acquire a 2nd or 3rd is great especially if no top flight prospect slips to 10. Then you can get an OT in the 1st and have extra picks to work with

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I would trade down and still pick a tackle.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

If I was the GM and Fashanu is there at #10, more than likely, I'd stay put and take him. In the 5th option in the poll, it should be Fashanu, NOT Fautanu. The only way I wouldn't take Fashanu would be if several teams were clamoring for the #10 pick, willing to give up a haul to move up, AND I felt that Mims or Latham or Guyton or Fautanu were close to Fashanu in potential and could be ready to start at LT next season. A haul alone would be tempting, but with no OT currently on the roster that I think is capable of starting and being at least an above average LT in 2025, I think it would be a mistake to get greedy and gamble on someone else being good enough. Mims certainly could be, but his injury history is a bit concerning. I'd have to feel confident that there was nothing chronic or likely to be a problem going forward. I like Guyton's potential, but I don't think he could fill in this season, and he may not be ready to start in 2025. It would certainly be great if Carter Warren develops into a quality starting OT, but I don't think that can be counted upon, and to wait and say I'll figure out two OT starting spots in 2025 when cap space is going to be extremely tight, is just too darned risky, especially considering all of the OL troubles the Jets have had over the last 5-10 years.

While it would be great to trade down and add a 2nd round pick or an additional 3rd round pick, and maybe more, imo it wouldn't replace getting one of the top 2 LT prospects in the draft. It would be a little bit of getting greedy, imo. The LT position is just too important (arguably the 2nd most important position in football after QB).

#8 NCJetsfan, Mar 27, 2024
    BradysTornACL and mrjet80 like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well framed. I’m all for trading down and getting a vet. How far down is based on how the draft developed.

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

At tackle there's Alt and then there's everyone else. I'm not taking an "everyone else" with a top 10 pick.
    At WR there's Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and everyone else.
    At TE there's Bowers and everyone else.

I'm not even squinting at a RB or IOL at that spot.

The strategy seems simple to me; BPA Offense - If any one of those 5 lasts until 10 you take him, otherwise look to trade down.

Jets OG fan and stinkyB like this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I prefer Donovan Smith. and use the pick on a skill position or trade back.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Lineman like Becton and Bakhtiari are the reason teams NEED a swing tackle

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  13. mrjet80

The Penn St LT Fashanu is the next best LT after Alt. That’s would be my preferred choice for the Jets at #10. I’m not sure how far down they could trade and still get him. Not very far that’s for sure….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. mrjet80

I agree about Alt ….would love for them to be able to trade up for him but they don’t have the draft capital and they aren’t just a LT away either … still a few holes to fill. I would suggest Olu Fashanu from Penn State is a close second to Alt and a good consolation prize…great size and movement and well versed at LT as opposed to some of the other tackles.

15. NCJetsfan

The following is from David Wyatt-Hupton of The Jets Way. I'm not saying that I totally agree with him, but imo he makes a strong case for Fautanu.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

How can he say he measured absolutely fine. Are there a lot of starting tackles in NFL 6-3.75 or below? Especially LTs? He was a good College player, 3d team All American. But he is turning 24 this year playing against younger guys. Are we sure that at 6-3.75 he will be a fine LT or OT at all n NFL? He also struggled against the run last year. Latham was second team All American and is 3 years younger and has great size. To me Latham is a much better prospect and a player today while 3 years younger, who has the size to play both OT spots.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Fashanu is there at #10, I take him. If not, I hope I can trade back enough to get a 2nd, and still be able to take a LT with my now lower 1st rounder. If for some reason there isn't a really goof LT on the board at my lower 1st round pick, but there is a WR, I'd look to combine my two 3rd rounders to try and move into the 2nd round where I might be able to get a really good developmental LT. It would suck not having a 3rd, but suck less than not having a 2nd.

EDIT: After reading the assessments of OL in the link to Fox Sports provided by NC, I'll say that I'm cooled a little on Fashanu if that assessment is accurate (IDK if it is, but it seems like a legit take). So while I think I'd still take him if he's there at #10, I wouldn't be sad if he wasn't and it forced the Jets to trade back a bit and hopefully be able to take Latham.

#18 ColoradoContrails, Mar 28, 2024
    Borat likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is a phenomenal review of Olu. It's long but worth it and has quite a few of all 22 plays reviewed in detail. That conclusion basically is that Olu is a solid (B-) prospect at 10, which I actually would agree with, perhaps I would upgrade it a bit to a B. Only Alt is a slam dunk, all others are flawed. However, I think a lot of Olu's issues can be coached, and he does have elite pass pro and great frame. And only turned 21 in Dec. I do think Latham may possibly be better than Olu, but I would be happy with either at 10. I don't understand how Olu is dropped all the way to OT #5 though by Foxsports and Fautanu is #2. I am just not a fan of older undersized prospects who did not really look any better by any objective measure than guys 2-3 years younger and have better size who can be had with the same pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I asked him the same question, and no response yet. I'm just saying that I think that he's a better prospect than you do, but he's not who I want. Trading down and taking him and adding even a 3rd round pick would be better to me than taking Nabers.