Is it out of the picture to believe that mangini and tbaum are simply newbs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 12, 2006.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

My statement is that it is very believable that mangini and tbaum are ill equipped to deal with the fast pace of free agency

i can easily see both of them focusing on one position while totally ignoring the other due to their inexperience. I am not ripping or criticizing them but just as any other craft requires some experience, the same can be said for a position in the nfl. Its not that farfetched considering mangini has never interviewed a player before and may not be accustomed with targeting the players he wants and pouncing on them quickly. Two situations really strike me as to why mangini and tannenbaum(srry if mispelled, still used to terry dumbway) are still growing on the job. John abraham has reiterated several times that there has been aboslutely zero contact between him and the organization, the agents have also confirmed this. Obviously it is out of the ordinary for a team to keep such a key player out in the blue for so long. Another player who questioned the experience was mawae who also stated that he only spoke with mangini once and he gave him the same preplanned speech that he gave the media about hardworking smart players.

Its not that hard to believe that while the organization was focusing so much on getting the chad deal done that they fell behind on the free agents they targeted. What if Shaffer, washington and even maybe bentley were all targets but mangini and tbaum overestimated how long they'd be available.

Leave your comments and dont bother to respond if you plan on flaming me for daring to question our two baby faced newbs. I just feel that at this point of time if mangini signed britney spears as our DT we would applaud it just for the sake of approving of his every move. In my book, we've already made one questionable desicion by cutting mawae. As jets fan, are we supposed to accept that our twice surgically repaired qb will have to survive behind a line made up of three rookies and a converted TE?

2. Pride

Pride New Member

Im not trying to rip you but im tired of the oh no who are we going to sign Jets fans. Give the new regime time b4 we want them fired. Im not saying you want them fired but Im saying lets sit back and watch what they do and after the offseason say what you want to say

3. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

We always start slow in free agency, we never go after the high priced vets and Im fine with that. Look at the Steeler's they werent big time players last year and even lost some key players, the Patriots during their dynasty years always waited out on free agents and their biggest move was trading a 2nd rounder for Dillon. The draft and smaller moves wins championships, I dont want to spend millions on someone like Ted Washington when we're not going to be competing next year. The draft will be the key, Im not worried we are never 1st day winners.

4. GangGreen04

I would agree with you 100% if they were taking over an 8-8 or 7-9 team and looking to retool. However this is a TERRIBLE team right not and while building through the draft is the right way to go it is not the only means of improving the team.

Im sure everyone remembers when we benched our third string qb against the panthers simply to protect him from getting hurt so we could avoid playing our fourth qb

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I refuse to openly support the moves that made or are not made right now because I don't know what their plan is (and therefore, I will not condemn moves made at this point either), although some parts of it are being revealed slowly. We will not make a huge splash in free agency, so if you expect us to, spare us all 6 months of crying and get it out in this thread.

It's DAY FREAKING TWO of FA. Get a grip.

6. GangGreen04

nobody here is crying and from the tone of your post it sounds like you are on the verge of shedding some tears so why dont you just calm down alittle; its just football and this is just a messagboard

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

your theory i suppose is possible,but theres obviously no way to prove it...as ive stated in other posts and many others have stated the same thing,WE'RE NOT LOOKING FOR A QUICK FIX VIA FREE AGENCY....i mean if thats not obvious to you then youre not paying attention...the goal is not to make the big dance next year.....thank god we're not trying to...we're not one or two guys away...draft draft draft.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm as calm as can be, I just don't take kindly to being instructed on how to respond to an impatient and ill-conceived thread.

9. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

this is not true at all tennenbaum is not a new guy he has been working with Bradway forever, and he knows what he is doing in terms of setting up a deal. People just dont look at what is actually going on behind the scenes, just because this is tennenbaum's first GM job doesnt mean he has no experience in the field. AND more importantly can everyone stop getting so impatient Free agency isnt like a 2 day process, and Guess what were not signing any big name guys this off season, we have money to use but not to hand out long term big contracts out to. Mangini knows the type of players that he is going to fit into his strategy on both Off and Def so just sit back relax and let it play out

10. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Spare me the Patriot model. Bellichek inherited many great Pro Bowl players in the peak of the their careers. Willie MgGinest, Ted Bruschi, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, Ben Coates, Terry Glenn and Adam Vinitieri.

They were up agaisnt the cap like a lot of teams with many quality players and couldn't go into the free agency market at least first tier free agents..

The Jets don't have a cap problem, they have cap room to spare to sign quality, young great players in the prime of their careers and add more quality players in the draft. They, so far, chose not to, following the Patriot Model.

Unlike the 2000 Patriots, the Jets don't have any impact players to build on other than Jonothon Vilma.

They are following a business model that makes no sense in the new CBA era.

11. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

They spoke to Shaffer's agent... once, and he said they weren't interested. BUT, because it was reported by some writers that have no clue what these two are planning, they waited too long? Bentley... it was obvious he was going to get over paid.

You can see them focusing on one position and "forgetting" the others? You have to be kidding. I mean, really, we as forum posters haven't done that, do you really think they are THAT stupid, spending 18 hours a day, 7 days a week on this stuff? If you would even entertain that line of thought, you have shown an agenda.

I've seen a surprising number of threads here and elsewhere already questioning these two pro's. Yes, they are professionals, and they aren't that stupid. I thought Jet fans would be patient with these two, realising we are rebuilding.... WRONG. The vultures are out already. No matter WHAT happens, even through the draft, any judgement on them prior to the end of this next season is premature.

The ONLY thing they've done so far that raised my eyebrows is it SEEMS (and I, and we don't know the reasons why) that they missed the boat on Ma'ake Kemoeatu. But, for all we know, his agent may have told the Jets he had no interest playing in a 3-4. So, I can't make a sound judgement on that, either. You're comment about the O line being three rookies two days into FA also shows that you have an agenda. Then, you tell people to not flame you? Whi says Pennington will be starting? Who says we'll start 3 rookie linemen? You. Not these two guys. This reminds me of the fans that stand up on every snap at a game. Sit down, let the team play, our job right now is to watch.

12. phillyjet

phillyjet New Member

Rajensen,

How many players have the Patriots signed in the last 2 days? The Dolphins? Spare me the garbage about the Patriots being loaded with all-pro players when Bellichick arrived. If anything has been consistent the last few years about the Patriots, it's been the lack of all-pro players but lunchpail-type guys who have stepped up as one of the best teams we have ever seen. Bradway, when questioned about the lack of pro bowl players he has drafted, even commented about how the Patriots have not drafted any pro bowl players in the last few years.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Wondering? How much time is enough time b4 the Jet boards start screaming for some action? It is certainly fustrating not knowing what our FO thinking is.

14. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I would agree with the OP to a certain extent, they are noobs there is no disputing that but that does not mean they will do a bad job. One of their biggest problems they will have will be getting respect from other players, other teams and agents. They don't have the connections and built up relationships that more expereinced people in their positions would have. I could also see them reaching or being impatient to make a splash as they are probably are a bit insecure as to how they are percieved.

Overall I am happy they have not done anything yet. It is much better to make an error in not signing players than in overpaying for players. It appears they will continue the strategy of Bradway and add reasonably priced transition players to temporarily fill our holes and give the team a chance to win next year while continuing the rebuilding process that was started 5 years ago.

#14 Buttle, Mar 12, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  15. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

that is some good shit

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Mawae was on the field when both QB's and Martin sustained their injuries. The guy is done and showed it. If the idea was we needed to keep Mawae to protect Pennington you haven't been paying attention. Abe, through his agent told the Jets he wasn't intrested in staying. At his age and what he is looking to get, the Jets are letting him and his agent do all the heavy lifting. The Jets have said nothing leaving themselves in the best possible position to make the best deal possible or simply to keep him if they don't like the deal. The same is true of the draft keep it quiet and you keep your options open and other teams will start to panic on draft day.

We may not sign a player until camp cuts, who knows. It doesn't really matter becuase we aren't going to be able to evaluate these guys until the end of the 08 season.

The Chad deal gave the team flexability to make some moves if they feel it's a good move. The deal probably has very limited impact on the team one way or another other than giving them some options if they want to make a move for a player or two.

You can challenge anything but you have no basis yet of coming to any kind of conclussion at this point.

17. Jetset

Jetset New Member

I love how we've gone from being 26 million over the cap to being 15 million under and some people thinking that they should sign every FA out there.

We need room to sign our draft picks - that has to take a pretty penny as high as we are. Plus next year, we are looking at cuting Chad for a 9 million dollar cap hit. I don' know where people ever thought we would be big players in FA.

We would be crazy to overspend now and then be looking at another year of big cuts next year.

Lets give the FO some time here.

18. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Let's not forget that Bradway is still in charge of scouting, eh? Let's also not forget that a BIG part of tannenbaum's earlier reponsibilities included scouring taxi squads and undrafted rookies for potential valu signings. You folks are sell ing these guys short, even to the point of comparing our collective BS to be on a par with them. I don't think they are insecure at all. People talk about them like kids just out of college. At 35, I was running the marketing dept of a 25 million dollar company. Not the same level, of course as this, but not that different either.

These guys don't GIVE AS SHIT what we, or anyone else thinks.

19. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

This isn't like Madden...its just not. I mean I understand you, and yes I do think that we will not be players because of maybe an inexperienced team, and the fact that we are rebuilding. But you can't just extend a contract to a guy and BAM he signs. It doesn't work like that.

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I heard dat..........:breakdance: