Fashanu or Fuaga or Bowers or Trade Back?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by joelip, Mar 17, 2024.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Don't look now but Fashanu is steadily dropping in analyst mock drafts. Generally, it looks like he is falling to pick 10 or lower in 80 to 90 percent of the most recent mocks. Fuaga now seems to be consistently more highly ranked than Fashanu.

This raises the question in light of our free agent tackles. If Fashanu is there at 10, do we take him or Fuaga or Bowers? I think the top three wide receivers will be gone, so we would be considering Thomas at 10 if we wanted to go the WR route.

Of course, we might be able to trade back and get more dips in the Tackle + Wide Receiver pool.

I'd vote for Fashanu (small hands be damned!) because there's no overestimating the value of a franchise left tackle, and I think that Alt and Fashanu are the only sure-thing franchise LT's in the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am always afraid of players who rise before draft. I am not a college football guy. So don't know anything about these players. I say go with Fashanu

joelip likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO it's a no-brainer that the Jets should sprint to the podium with the card taking Fashanu. Neither Bowers nor Thomas should even be a consideration. LTs are harder to find than RTs, so I'd lean towards Fashanu over Fuaga. Also, Fashanu is a better pass protector while Fuaga is a better run blocker, and the former is more important in keep Rodgers upright and healthy.

#3 NCJetsfan, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    westiedog1 and joelip like this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Trade back and take Fuaga or BTJ unless somehow Nabers or Alt is still on the board

Skicats likes this.
  5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I keep seeing mocks with us grabbing Troy Fautanu

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Alt is certainly gone before 10, but a top WR (either Nabers or Odunze) might be there.

It's now clear that the Vikings will trade into the top ten for a quarterback. The three teams at the top of the draft will almost certainly keep their picks to address their desperate needs for franchise quarterbacks. This seems to indicate that the Vikings will take McCarthy.

If this is true and the Falcons go for their need for a great edge player (a case can be made for Turner), then the top ten could well go:

1 (Chi) Williams
    2 (Wash) Daniels/Maye
    3 (NE) Maye/Daniels
    4 (Ariz) Harrison
    5 (Minn from LAC) McCarthy
    6 (NYG) Nabers/Odunze
    7 (Tenn) Alt
    8 (Atl) Turner
    9 (Chi) Fashanu/Nabers/Odunze (2 of 3 would be there for the Bears pick)
    10 JETS: Fashanu/Nabers/Odunze (1 of 3 would be there for the JETS to pick)

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Taking a tackle with our first pick after the offseason we've had would be a colossal waste of resources.

We have one good receiver. The rest would legitimately be 4th or 5th options on most teams. Receiver is an extremely important position. We are idiots if we don't take a pass catcher with our first pick. I'm fine if that's Bowers instead of a WR, but pass catcher is a must.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Everyone was worried about Fautanu because of his arm length. He measured way better than everyone thought so he probably can play tackle. I would very content with him at 10.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see Bowers being there but at this point I wouldn't even blink.

11. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m overreacting to the signing of Williams, but I’m now firmly in the camp of drafting an offensive tackle at pick 10.

More specifically, I favor Fashanu as a franchise left tackle. I believe that the WR class is incredibly deep and talented this year, and a fine number 2 kind of receiver will drop to pick 72.

amuck57 likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The point re: the WR class being deep is valid.

But I still hate the idea of taking a tackle at 10 because there's a strong chance he won't play enough games to be worth the pick. If we take a WR, he'll be either our 2nd or 3rd best WR immediately. He'll start every game immediately. I don't think we can pass up a guy who will contribute immediately.

If a 10th overall pick working out is contingent upon a starter missing over half the games then it's just not a good pick.

Best overall move is probably to trade down, recoup a 2nd rounder, and take a WR/OT in that order.

13. NCJetsfan

Again, I have to disagree, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see your point, and in all fairness, if any of Rodgers, Smith, G. Wilson or Breece go down for an extended period, we can forget the playoffs. It won't matter who is at WR if Smith goes down for an extended period of time, our offense will be cooked if we don't have a starting caliber LT. A rookie wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better than someone like Bakhtiari who more than likely won't even be available due to being injured himself or someone like Mitchell or Warren having to play LT. First, and foremost, Rodgers has to stay upright and healthy. We have two good WRs (I realize that you probably posted this before we signed Williams). Obviously depth is important, and I agree that we need to load up on WRs, but we have to be able to protect Rodgers and run the ball. Even with going "all in" on this season, I think it would be a colossaly mistake to not draft one of our future OTs this draft. One should draft to the strength of the draft.

The way we're going "all in" is kind of nutty, with a 41-year-old QB coming back from a torn achilles tendon, the backup QB being the oft-injured 34-year-old Tyrod Taylor, the LT being often-injured, the RT needing shoulder surgery, and our #2 WR coming off of an ACL tear, It will be a miracle if they all stay healthy this season.

joelip likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

We won't be able to get an OT who can help us this year in the 2nd round, and maybe not help us at all. More than likely, if we do trade down and get a 2nd round pick it's going to be in the mid-to-late 50s, if not early 60s. You're also forgetting that a high number of 1st round WRs bust, whereas 1st round OTs are one of the safest picks.

With two 33-year-old OTs, it's more likely than not that the swing OT will play half the games, but even if not, he will be a starter next year. One cannot just throw away the future for the sake of this year. Even if we make the playoffs this year, I don't want to take a huge step backwards next year because we have no OTs.

joelip likes this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Trade back. We can get an OT later in Round 1. And hopefully yield a second round pick for WR. Tbh my ideal draft is

1. Best OL (Trade Back)
    2. Best WR
    3. Spencer Rattler

16. NCJetsfan

Fautanu is supposedly rising up draft boards. I don't see him as being in the same class as Alt or Fashanu, but he is the only other OT in the draft who could reasonably be counted on this season to step in and start games at LT when Smith goes down with injury. We may be able to trade down a few spots and still get him, but if he keeps rising up the draft boards, maybe not. Latham claims he is a LT, but AFAIK has never played it. Neither Mims nor Guyton are likely going to ready to play this season except in a dire emergency. Whereas both have a higher ceiling than Fautanu imo, and I would rather have one of them long term, Fautanu could start games this season while T. Smith is out and could be counted on as least an average or slightly above average LT going forward, especially after learning from T. Smith and Moses this season.

The only LTs left in FA are Charles Leno, Jr., Becton, Bakhtiari, Donovan Smith, and Duane Brown. I know that no one wants Duane Brown back. Donovan Smith, while a Jets fan, isn't very good any more. Bakhtiari is clearly the best one of the group, but can't be counted upon to be healthy and play. Signing him could be a disaster waiting to happen. So basically, if the Jets want to have a viable backup LT for T. Smith this season, it's either going to be Leno, Becton, Fashanu or Fautanu.

17. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I was actually coming onto this board to ask you guys what current or recent NFL players Bowers actually compares to. I'm not really sure there is an exact comparison is there? I'm thinking George Kittle maybe a little bit but Bowers is more explosive and WR'ey I think. Whatever he is its not a "traditional" tight end.

Going to be interesting to see how the Jets evaluate this situation. But if Alt is not available and they really think Bowers is going to be a A#1 prime offensive weapon in their NFL system I don't think I'm going to kill them for drafting him. True offensive difference makers don't just fall off the tree and deploying him with Garret Wilson and Breece Hall and a competent quarterback is a pretty tempting idea. I don't even see why Bowers and Ruckert couldn't get on the field at the same time a decent amount.

20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

He's probably a cross between Kittle and a WR. He's a matchup nightmare, too fast for LBs to cover, and too big for DBs to cover. Plus, he had 5 touchdowns out of the backfield.
    Move him around and watch Garrett and Breece feast because of him. A bonus is, he probably keeps Lazard off the field.

amuck57, NCJetsfan and Pepsiguy5 like this.