Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but IMHO if we can’t move Zach to reduce the cap hit, it would be crazy to go out, waste resources, and get a third scrub instead on the roster. pay money we don’t have, to get less out of him that Zach in the most unlikely event that
    either one has to play. Keep Zach and pick up a QB in the mid rounds of the draft and stash him in the protected practice squad.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He never asked for a trade.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas said at the combine that they had good conversations with Zach's agent and have given Zach permission to seek a trade. You don't give someone permission to do something they haven't asked to do. Zach, probably through his agent (see above) requested a trade.

Since1969 likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Literally the title of this thread is the Jets grant Wilson permission to seek a trade. Wtf do you think that means? Jets decided they don’t want him and said “Hey Zach, go trade yourself. You have our permission!” Like Zach was all ready to come back and was totally blindsided??

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don’t give a crap what the title says. The Jets initiated that because they want to get rid of him. There is zero evidence otherwise.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This was the first trade talk I heard. Seems to be proving out.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/12/sports/jets-robert-saleh-doesnt-deny-report-about-zach-wilson-trade/

Although what seems to have happened was Joe Douglas was like "LOL go trade yourself." They left it up to the agent according to Costello.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sport...-trade-dilemma-could-reach-uncomfortable-end/

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No team in the NFL wants Zach Wilson. It's as clear as day. The Jets mismanagement of this situation is laughable.

Why Woody Johnson cares about paying him $5.5M of guaranteed cash is beyond comprehension. Woody you're an effing Billionaire, $5.5M to you is like a cup of coffee.

Just cut the kid and pay him his money and be done with it. The extra $6M of dead money cap hit isn't good but it's also not awful.

Having this polarizing, really poor QB on the roster would be crippling in so many ways next year. No one even knows or wants to talk about this kid except a few delusional posters on a Jets board who have a bizarre fascination with an awful backup QB who will be out of the league soon.

No good NFL franchise would've been debating over such a non-trivial player for so long. It is beyond strange. There's probably some weird political or business side deal that Woody has going on with the kid's family.

Yet another reason why Woody Johnson is a HORRIBLE owner.

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Just make him fetch water every game, in a sweatsuit . He can wear his headband

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, but even the reports you cited before claimed that it was Saleh who told Zach they will trade him. It's different than Moore who demanded a trade, who by the way stayed for a season before he was gone. But this just does not seem as Zach being malcontent, like in Moore's case. More like Jets view him as a 3d string, and want to get something for him, and giving his agent early start. This is not to say Zach doesn't want to go on a team where he can be promoted in role. But if that situation does not materialize, all bets are off. I don't think anything we have heard so far suggests that he is a malcontent who will be half assing it in practice if he stays as a 3d string.

With all that said, the chance of him staying for opening day is near 0. But he might stay longer than people think and ultimately I feel will get traded, unless we draft a QB, which might expedite things. But if for whatever reason he stays as a 3d string, it's not the end of the world, he will run prep squad just fine and better than an inferior alternate 3d stringer like Siemian. Then he will be gone the following offseason.

Note: This is what it looks like when someone demands a trade: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34839826/frustrated-jets-wr-elijah-moore-excused-practice

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Outstanding post. The whole situation is mind boggling. Just cut him and move on already

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So your stance is that when we went to Boyle Saleh told Zach we were going to trade him? Zach didn’t ask for it, Saleh just went ahead and said we’re gonna try and trade him?

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure how it came about originally. But I am quite certain the Jets don't think he is a good back-up (because the owner actually said it) and want to trade him to get something back and/or shed CAP. It would also make sense that Zach would want to go somewhere who can offer him a back-up spot. Which is why Jets are trying to trade him and the agent got a chance to look for a trade early. It makes sense for both sides to move on mutually with the Jets getting something back and Zach getting a back-up spot he can't have here.

What we are talking about is a scenario where other teams are not willing to trade anything for him and make him a back-up. At least not yet. In that scenario I don't think he is a malcontent who will half ass his work in practice, there is no evidence for that. Only positive comments by influential and outspoken teammates, like Sauce. Again, I still think the trade (or a possible release if we draft a QB) will occur. I just don't think there is any evidence to suggest he will be half assing anything in an unlikely scenario this does not happen, and it would be better than an alternative of a scrub 3d stringer vet like Siemian.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I can at least eat that bag of ramen noodles...

SackRecord99 and KWJetsFan like this.
  14. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

I still feel Douglas will find a way to trade him and save the team the $11m in dead cap space.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Maybe trade Zach for a 2025 pick and some team can stash him? I mean chances are bad anyone takes him.

XFL #1 pick in the waiting

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

And rightly so.... now can we stop the madness with ZW.... jesus, its nauseating. The back and forth... color jim gone at some point. MOve the F on....

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

UFL buddy. That's the new NFL minor league. Maybe that's where they'll move the Jets when they are too embarrassing to keep around anymore.

Zach and Poeman like this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

One thing I like about the european soccer leagues

abyzmul likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Now that the trade markets for Lazard and Wilson are proving to not be quite as hot as we anticipated I'm thinking its time to up the ante and PACKAGE these two fine players together at a fairly aggressive price point.

And by "fairly aggressive" I basically mean literally anything that will satisfy the NFL league office that they are no longer members of the New York Jets.

BrooklynJetsFan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Zack: "Wait....so NOW Jets decide to get an Oline and great Receivers????? WTF!!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.