2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!! Well done, JD, indeed!

2. NCJetsfan

3. NCJetsfan

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I feel the need for a brute force straight ahead runner to compliment Hall. Let’s elevate the running game behind our new OL.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think we need a power RB who can wear down defenses. By adding a RB like that, it would give the Jets 3 very different types of RBs with which they could punish opposing Ds. Hall and the #2 could wear down opposing Ds in the 1st half and early part of the 3rd Qtr, and then Abanikanda come on in the latter part of the 3rd Qtr and 4th Qtr. and alternate with Hall to rip off huge runs as the D would be too tired to catch their speed.

6. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Signing a trending in the wrong direction Mike Williams for anything substantial would be bad GM'ing 101. Where you end up getting too caught up both name value, and in the act of falling in love with an idealized concept on paper that would never actually exist or thrive within this NYJ team makeup. Not to mention it's pushing too all in on old and high injury probability assets. Where we are probably left with an outside chance at best that we'd realistically see Rodgers, Tyrone, and Williams suit up in the same game more then 3-4 total times all year.

If we are gonna splurge for name value the more durable and less concerning Boyd is the much safer AND smarter play.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Except Boyd doesn’t allow Wilson to move inside and all over the formations. Boyd keeps Wilson outside which is way easier for teams to take him away. Williams compliments GW extremely well. Sutton also, but it looks like he isn’t available anymore.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Taking a WR away on the outside requires safety help. This is when the slot player eats.

9. NCJetsfan

I agree. Boyd is whom I have really wanted all along.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh Boyd was always an outside player before Chase got there. His skillset worked out better in the slot because he was a headier player than Chase and he was slower than he was in his younger years.

I actually like Boyd more for this team even if he isn’t the fast physical downfield threat Williams is. We need chain movers and I think that frees GW up down the field more.

stinkyB, Kronoking and RochesterJet like this.
  11. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Again to me there is the act of falling in love with idealized theory on paper, and the actual application of such on to next year's 2024 Jets team.

Cornering the market on expensive aging offensive players coming off an ACL tear is meh to me.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So the Steelers will interview him and the Chargers want him back, plus other teams have requested interviews, so the theory of aging and ACL concerns has escaped them as well. Not to mention that the year before the injury he was still at the top of his game and no signs of slowing down.

dawinner127 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. dawinner127

Don’t get me wrong. I like Boyd quite a bit and will be very happy if they sign him. I love his size and from everything I read he was loved in that bengals locker room and I believe he was also a captain? I just like Mike Will more. They’re both probably going to get similar deals where Williams will have to reach certain incentives to actually make more than Boyd. 2/27 with huge playing time incentives is fine with me.

14. dawinner127

Teams will chefs kiss the scenario where they can take away Garrett Wilson for Tyler Boyd. Come on lol.

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Its been 2 years already and he has 24 catches.... Coming out of Ohio state, he was known to be a great blocker and not a receiving threat (almost like a hybrid fullback). with the idea was he could maybe grow into a full tight end but it hasn't happened yet.

Im not saying it is a knock on him. there are dozens of great blocking tight ends that make careers out of it, everyone needs them. The chances of him turning into a 800 yard pass catcher is slim lol

but if they had Brock Bowers, Ruckert would compliment him nice cause Bowers is the complete opposite.

16. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i did alot research on Mike Williams since he was coming to meet with the team. I have seen him play alot but wanted to see more.

He isnt hurt as much as people think he gets hurt. Yea, the ACL tear last year is a concern but he never was a speed WR. He makes insane jump ball catches and has very good hands. He is like a power forward in backestball.

Rodgers throwing the ball in tough spots would be awesome with his huge catch radius

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like Boyd more than Williams myself too, but again, I'm not going to get too excited about the possibility of Boyd because I think he's headed to Pittsburgh

18. dawinner127

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This Isn't true actually. The only reason that Ruckert didn't get more passing reps was because OSU had such a stacked WR core, and they had a very good running threat to compliment that. Ruckert made several clutch passing plays at OSU and would've been a natural as a pass catching TE. He Is just a team friendly player, willing to do the dirty work for his team, despite his overall skill set.

It's not slim at all. If he was given more volume, he would excel. I'm confident of It.

We shall see.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.